Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Setting up flaps

Old 01-25-2011, 05:30 PM
tomd-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up flaps

Hello,

I have a JR 7 channel radio and wish to set flaps with switches rather than the pot.
I need the following set up: RETRACTED, Pos 1 and Pos 2.
Since the switches have only two positions, how can this be achieved ?
I just need a general guideline.

Thank you
Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Setting up flaps

Tomd - Which JR 7ch radio do you have?
What model receiver are you using with it?
Do you have one Flap servo or two?
Is this a 72Mhz radio or 2.4Ghz?

This is just backround info in case you need help with anything else, however, the model of the Transmitter and Receiver are important.

What type of airplane are you using the radio in?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
tomd-RCU

Hello Buschbarber,

I am using the JR XP783 radio on 72 MHz and one servo for the flaps.

The receiver is the 8 channel JR NER549x.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
BuschBarber

Tom - Which Aircraft Type have you chosen, Acro or Glider?

I am not familiar with the XP783 Tx, but I did download the manual for it and looked it over.

Here is a link to the Manual although it is not in Adobe Reader pdf format.

http://pdfdatabase.com/download/jr-x...-16412929.html

The Glider aircraft type calls for the Left Aileron on the Gear channel, whereas the Acro aircraft type calls for the Left Aileron to be on the Aux1 (Flap) channel.

The System menu has a parameter for whether the Flaps are controlled by the Flap Switch or the Flap Knob. The Flap Switch is a 3 position switch on the Left Face of the Tx
Old 01-26-2011, 03:35 AM
tomd-RCU

Rich,
I am using the Acro aircraft style.
The switch you are referring is the Flap Mixing Switch(elevator-flap mix)/Landing Mode Switch.

UP: elevator flap mix
CENTRE: off
Down: Landing mode

Do you think it can be used to set up three positions flap (independent of transmitter type) ?

I have never used the glider style aircraft. Might this mode be the way to go ?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:51 AM
BuschBarber

On the JR XP8103 and 9303, that switch defaults to being the Flap Switch. Your Tx has somewhat different programming, however, I see that you can choose that switch as your Flap Switch.

You never said in which aircraft you have this radio installed. Sometimes, you have to play with the programming to see what works best for you. The Glider Programming may or may not be more appropriate. The Programming differs between Acro and Glid and the channels you hook the servos up to differs, as well.

Since you are set to Acro and everything works except the Flaps on a Switch, why not just try changing the parameter to make that Land Switch the Flap Switch and we can go from there.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

I have a x-347 which has the same programming and case as the JR 783.

Here are a few options. In the system munu, select TRIM for the flap pot. this will let you fine tune the neutral point of the flaps since you don't want to use the pot for deploying the flaps(I think you can also inhibit the knob if you want it to do nothing). then use the Landing switch (the 3 position switch next to the elevator D/R switch) to deploy the flaps. the landing mode is active when the 3 way switch is pulled all the way toward you. when in that position, you can program the landing mode for the perfect amount of flaps, PLUS elevator to correct for any trim change the flaps cause. Another nice thing about the landing switch was that it is also one the the switches that you can select for activating a mix. I found this useful on a floatplane as I set up the radio so that dropping the flaps would also turn on the water rudder servo. It is a early form of a flight mode that was very handy. when the switch is in the middle or up position the flaps would go up, and any E>F mixing that you want is active when the switch is up.

2nd option would be to mix the gear to the flap channel. then the 2-position gear switch would control the flap channel. won't work if your model has retracts, unless you only want the flaps down when the gear is down (you might!)

another (simpler) option is to put the flaps on the gear channel if you dont have retracts. since the flaps are a full proportional servo, you can easily adjust both endpoints. this won't work if you are using flaperons. If you are, you could mix the gear to the flap channel and then the switch would have the same effect.

These older radios are in fact quite powerful, but you typically have to pick and chose what you want the radio to do. If you want to do one feature, you may use up all your free mixes so you can't do another. I always liked to mix the throttle to one of the knobs so the idle could be adjusted easily without moving the trim from center (pre-digital trims here)

Hope this Helps!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 AM
baronbrian

ORIGINAL: tomd-RCU

Rich,
I am using the Acro aircraft style.
The switch you are referring is the Flap Mixing Switch(elevator-flap mix)/Landing Mode Switch.

UP: elevator flap mix
CENTRE: off
Down: Landing mode

Do you think it can be used to set up three positions flap (independent of transmitter type) ?
sorry, you can't do this. the switch does too many other functions..
Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 AM
BuschBarber

Brian - What about changing the Aircraft Type to Glid, connecting the servos to the appropriate channels (this differs, somewhat, from Acro mode)?

Pg 84 in the 783 manual says that you can assign the Flap Switch to the Flap channel and also, if desired, disable Pot #6 which is the Flap Knob

Of course Glid Mode does not allow for Wing Type selection so we cannot easily use Ailerons as Flaps (Flapperons) unless we could employ a Programmable Mix for that?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM
BuschBarber

Tom - You never replied as to what aircraft you are putting this radio in. Is it a Glider, Sport Plane, Scale Plane, Trainer, etc,?

How many control surfaces do you have? Two Ailerons, Two Flaps, Throttle, Rudder, Elevator? Somehow I mistakenly thought you were using Ailerons as Flaps. If you have Flaps separate from the Ailerons, the Glid Type might be an option to try
Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 PM
baronbrian

Rich- I don't think GLID mode will help in this situation. I had a pattern plane with quad flaps programmed under the GLID mode once on my 347. again, not sure if he is using retracts- if he is the glid mode uses channel 5 for one of the wing options, not for gear. a few other things like no snap roll switch are also a result of using GLID. Remember that in Glid mode that you don't have too, but the software is set up so that the flaps will be deployed with the throttle stick. there is no 3 position flap option in the sailplane mode.

The best way to have 3-position flaps may be to use two 2-position switches to activate them. set up your flaps and have them deploy to position 1 (mid or half flap) when you pull the flap switch, then set up a Flap>Flap mix on another switch so that by flipping that switch with the flaps "on" drops them further. if you can't mix that much additional flap then you might have to do it backward and make the flap switch deploy full flap and then use a flap>flap mix to reduce the amount of flap travel for the mid position (try -50% to start and work from there) the flap switch then effectively becomes the flap on/off switch, while the mixing switch chooses half/full flaps when the flaps are active. I did this on a friend H9 Cessna 182 with his 6102. that radio has no 3 position switches or pots. The nice thing about this for your 783 is that you can still use the landing mode if you wish for elevator compensation while landing, but get the flap amounts right first before adding elevator compensation.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM
BuschBarber

Brian - Thanks - I am sure you are correct. Using the Mix option you suggested is probably the best compromise.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:34 PM
tomd-RCU

Hello Rich,

The airplane I am using is a warbird: F6F Hellcat.

This aircraft has 2 ailerons and two flaps beside the usual elevator, rudder and throttle.

I do not use retracts.

The flaps are are connected mechanically to a single servo.

The following combination seems to work, but as Brian said I have to use two switches.

1. The flap servo is connected to AUX 2 (spoilers).
2. The Mixing Switch (MXSW) is activated for input to spoiler channe (AUX 2 Pot is desactivated).
3. The retract channel is mixed to AUX 2. The retract Switch is used.

4. Travel adjustments are set correctly.

This is the result:

MXSW
Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 PM
tomd-RCU

Sorry, here is the rest of the post.

MXSW RETRACT SW Result

0 0 neutral
0 1 Pos1
1 0 Pos2
1 1 Pos3

With this set up I have a 4 positions flap set up.

Is there a better way of doing this ?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
baronbrian

Sounds good Tom, as long as you can keep it all straight. I would set up the flaps so that

mix switch retract switch result
0 0 neutral
0 1 neutral
1 0 position 1
1 1 position 2

that way you know that if the mix switch is at zero, the flaps are up. this would be nice in an emergency such as a dead stick or something where one switch would raise the flaps completely with out having to do two much work.

I am happy to hear that you got them functioning how you want them, I am glad we were able to help out.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:23 PM
tomd-RCU

I will work on your suggestion Brian.

Thank you Rich and Brian for helping out.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM
BuschBarber

You are very welcome.