Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX8 telemetry RPM pickup for Gas engines - SOLVED!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 PM
boostoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX8 telemetry RPM pickup for Gas engines - SOLVED!!

I just finished experimenting with the Spektrum TM1000 telemetry system to pickup the RPM directly from my DLE-30 and I have some good news if you hookup a Y-harness to the DLE hall sensor into the RPM slot of the telemetry the DX8 will be able to read the RPM directly from the sensor. (below is a drawing of what I did) you can just buy a 12" telemetry extensions wire and connect a standard servo connector on it and then connect it with a Y-harness

you also require to go to the telemetry menu on the DX8 and change the poles to 2 Poles so it reads from the magnet.

I hope this helps everyone
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86164.jpg
Views:	2133
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1568127  
Old 02-22-2011, 05:00 AM
electricpete

Default RE: DX8 telemetry RPM pickup for Gas engines - SOLVED!!

I have wanted to conect up the speed sensor using the connection to the motor leads, but don't want to solder direct to the gold connector. I wouuld idealy like to have a small simple board with female and male connectorsthat I can also connect the wires from the speed sensor. Any ideas????
Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

it's so simple i'm glad that it works! nice show!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:23 PM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..wonder if that will work with the Evolution 46X gasser.....Bo
Old 04-01-2011, 06:04 AM
youmanskids

hey thanks, but what color wire goes where? the pos and neg are reversed on the sensor plug, (red one end, black in the center and white on the other) when compared to a standard servo plug (black on end, red in center and white at the other)- details would be appreciated. Thanks, Roger
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 PM
RP80

Hey Guys

Can anyone explain how to do this exactly.

The post mentions cutting the red wire and hooking up a Y but is not very specific

The drawing gives the basic idea, but which wires on the SPEKTRUM wire go to the HALL SENSOR wires?

Do you cut off the redwire from the SPEKTRUM Telemery Wire, and then hook up the BROWN wire on the SPektrum to the BLACK wire on the hall sensor? And the ORANGE WIRE to the REDWIRE on the hall sensor?

THanks for any help
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I have mine working off the Hall Effect sensor that triggers the ignition as follows. The ONLY wire I have spliced into now is the "white" wire between the hall effect and the CDI box and it is connected to the off-white wire at the TM1000 module via an extension cable. I tried hooking up the black "ground" wire as well but it did not work that way. I read on another site only the "signal" wire needed to be hooked up to I cut the "ground" or black wire and it works perfect now. I understand it DOES NOT work on DA ignitions but any engine that uses the RCexl should work fine. Mine works on the DL50, DLE55 and DLE 30 ignitions. I used a "Y" servo connector to split the signal off the hall effect and originally had only the red wire cut. As I mentioned above I then cut the black wire as well and it started working. Good luck with yours.
The following users liked this post:
Gozonablat (06-15-2023)
Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM
RedwingRC

Thanks Jezmo - I appreciate the explanation too. I'll try to get it working, and then take photos so others can clearly see. it's one of those things that is hard to explain in text.I've had a few guys asking me about it also RPbeing one

PS, if you just turn it by hand will it show up on the radio at all, or does it need to be "WHIPPIN AWAY" to see anything show up?
thanks!

Old 01-08-2012, 05:04 PM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

......how about the evolution gassers...bo
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Jezmo

I haven't tried just flippin' the prop back and forth to see what happens. It definitely works while running. I will also look at the settings in the DX8 and post back later.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Jezmo

I did the best I could to draw a schematic to show how I wired my Hall Effect into my TM1000 Telemetry Module. I only have one wire running from the Y-Cable I put between the Hall Effect sensor and the ign box out to the TM1000. It is connected to the light brown wire on the connector marked RPM on the TM1000 and the white wire at the Y-Harness.

Name:	Db86499.jpg
Views:	2807
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1711917  
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

I did the best I could to draw a schematic to show how I wired my Hall Effect into my TM1000 Telemetry Module. I only have one wire running from the Y-Cable I put between the Hall Effect sensor and the ign box out to the TM1000. It is connected to the light brown wire on the connector marked RPM on the TM1000 and the white wire at the Y-Harness.

I'd like to know if anyone has tried this same wiring using just the white wire of the TACH output.

I once had a RCXL ignition that came with a Y-cable to connect in line with the Hall effect so that a standard tach could be connected to ignition modules that did not have a separate Tach output from the module.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:26 PM
RedwingRC

Here's a quick work up we did also.

We had to use both wires to get it work with ours. It's weird that it seems that some need 2 wires and others have gotten it to work with one.

regardless - here is what we did

Name:	Xv64542.jpg
Views:	1962
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1716291  
Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Jezmo

I agree Red, it's very weird. I had mine hooked up exactly like yours with what you term an extension with leads "spliced" on and I just called it a "Y" because that is basically how a "Y" is made. It would not give any readout on the RPM telemetry at all. After reading the post here on RCU about using only the white connected to the light brown "signal" wire on the module I simply clipped my black wire and took the plane outside for a trial. I was excited when I had a good stable RPM readout. It is very interesting why some installations require two wires and some only one. Oh well, I'm not complaining, mine works.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM
JohnB96041

Ok....I tried both methods of connecting the Hall Sensor to the TM1000. Once with the white hall sensor wire connected to the brown wire going to the TM1000. Nothing, no flashing light on the TM1000. Next I tried just the white wire from the Hall Sensor to the Brown wire on the TM1000 and black to black. Nothing, no flashing on the TM1000. What am I doing wrong? This is the RCxel module with a tach connector that is not connected to anything. What about the white wire from the tach connection to the brown wire on the TM1000?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Jezmo

John, may I respectfully ask why you are looking for the led to flash on the TM1000? Without anything hooked to it, if it is properly bound to the DX8, the LED should be ON SOLID when the power switch is turned on to the receiver. If that is not the case then the TM1000 is NOT properly bound. If the LED IS ON then the white wire from the Hall Sensor connected to the brown wire on the "Tach" input should allow you to "See" an RPM readout in the telemetry menu of the DX8. Under NO circumstances does my TM1000's LED change it's appearance due to the connection to the Hall Effect Sensor. If the ignition is OFF/ON - Engine OFF or Running - it makes no difference on the LED on the TM1000. It simply comes ON when the receiver switch is turned on and remains solid until the switch is turned OFF.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
JohnB96041

Sorry for the confusion. I am refering to the light at the RPM connection. Yes, the TM1000 is properly bound. With the SPMA9569 connected to the RPM port and the sensor held close to the engine magnet, as the prop is spun, this light turns on and off with each rotation of the prop. I would assume that the same would be true with the signal (white) wire connected to the brown wire the same would happen. Is this not true? I would prefer to not use the SPMA9569 if possible since it is going to be very difficult to mount it on my engine.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Jezmo

I thought you were talking about the bind light. No there is no other light doing anything on mine besides the bind light which stays on solid. I have a glow engine with the SPMA9569 and will have to fire it up to watch what it does. I'll give feedback later this eve.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Jezmo

OK after a bit of experimenting I've figured out the light does blink when the ignition fires on the gasser. It's much more obvious on the glow but it does flash faintly and much quicker on the gas as compared to the glow. At first I said no because I was in bright light and did not see it flash. Inside the house in a much darker environment I can see it flash. The glow will stay on if the crank is positioned just right but the gasser will not do that. It just flashes very very very quickly on and then back off.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM
JohnB96041

Yep....now you get the idea of the blinking light I was talking about. Here is my solution for the SAP180hp 30cc gas engine. Hand made this attachment and it works perfect.

Name:	Hf10086.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1727788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz29388.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1727789  
Old 06-23-2012, 07:16 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

I finally got around to hooking my ignition module up to my TM1000 and I can confirm that connecting only the "signal" wire from a "Y" in the connection from the Hall sensor and the ignition module works with the following equipment.

Thank you to the people that posted what worked for them on several forums.

RCEXL CDIModule
AeroTech IBEC (I list this because any possible differences in how the wiring works because when using this IBEC the TM1000 and the CDI are powered independently and at different voltages but off of the same battery)

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

I agree Red, it's very weird. I had mine hooked up exactly like yours with what you term an extension with leads "spliced" on and I just called it a "Y" because that is basically how a "Y" is made. It would not give any readout on the RPM telemetry at all. After reading the post here on RCU about using only the white connected to the light brown "signal" wire on the module I simply clipped my black wire and took the plane outside for a trial. I was excited when I had a good stable RPM readout. It is very interesting why some installations require two wires and some only one. Oh well, I'm not complaining, mine works.

To connect the TM1000 to the standard servo-type Y-adapter in the ignition timing sensor I chopped one end off of Spektrum satelite receiver extension cable and crimped on a servo servo connector. After trying a couple different wiring combinations I was unable to get it to work off of the separate "Tachometer" output from the ignition module. I wish I knew what was different about these signals because I would rather plug into this output than put a Y-adapter in the ignition system.

Using this wiring I was able to leave the "Poles" setting at the stock "Inh" setting.

This provides a very good RPMreading and I prefer it over the separate RCEXLtach and optical tachometers.

Paul

Name:	Zx71070.jpg
Views:	1215
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1774941  
Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 AM
winterdd
My Feedback: (3)

Anyone tried it on crrc engine?
My rpm signal light blinks but the dx8 shows no readings
Old 07-21-2012, 09:24 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

No readings with the engine running, or just hand-spinning?

It takes a couple seconds of good data before it starts to report readings, Run the engine if you aren't.

Andy
Old 07-21-2012, 09:33 AM
winterdd

yea, I was just hand cranking the magnet back and forth.
I will start the engine and try. thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 AM
winterdd

I guess I need to leave the poles setting at inh
THe number of poles r for e motors
Correct?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.