Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Franco2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Two things...

Even though I have been paying more attention to distance ie. > 2 meters when binding, I still see times when everything blinks, but never goes solid...  lets call it a Bind failure..  Usually, I turn everything off and repeat the process of bringing up TM1000, Rx+Sat, and Sti module.   All in fast blink.   Usually, the STi module goes solid first, but the Rx and Sat receiver and TM1000 just go dark.  This happend twice last night before I got solid lights everywhere.  My next step is to pull power every where, remove the bind plug, then turn the DX8 on move it to a shelf at the end of the room, and power up the receiver/TM1000 then the STi.  I'm not sure what I am doing to get the bind failure.

Second part I need to understand is your statement "Bind one, then bind the other"  I was under the impression that starting the Dx8 with the Bind button down established a "NEW id" each time, so I'm at a loss to understand how I can press the Trainer button a second time and still have the first one work?  Lets talk a scenario and you can tell me if it will work:

I'll start with selecting the model I want to Bind   Call it Andy'sBird...   Ok so I select this model, then turn off the the DX8,

Now I turn on the STi, select the model there called Andy'sBird.  I use the gear and on the setup page select "Bind" I see the light blink.

Now I'm gonna depart from my usual process... instead of putting everything into bind, I'll do the STi alone.  So I power up the Dx8 with trainer button depressed.  Sure enough the light goes out ( there shouldn't be any data however since the TM1000 isn't up)

OK so turn off every thing.

Next, plug in the bind plug, fire up the Rx and TM1000 see blinking...   Depress trainer button the power on...  should observe blinking lights go solid.

Now lets break for a second.  If I turn on the STi at this point will it see the TM1000?

Ok to finish up.  Turn off everything...  Turn on second STi module,  select name Andy'sBird2   (I changed the name slightly- but we could keep the same name if that is in the communications protocol.)  Leaving everything off I press the trainer button and fire up the DX8...  I would expect that the STi would bind, but the question is if I now turn on the Rx, and TM1000 and the first STi do they all lock?

Hope you could follow that.

Thanks for your response,,,,  this has to fall in the Graduate level ... maybe even Master level.

KKKKFL
Old 04-20-2012, 11:14 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Binding does not create a new ID.

The Model Match value is based on the serial number of the radio chip and the model number you are flying, plus some internal magic. It will always come up with the same value for a model number on that transmitter.

That's how you can bind multiple receivers to the same model position, or multiple telemetry dongles to the same airplane.

Andy
Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Binding does not create a new ID.

The Model Match value is based on the serial number of the radio chip and the model number you are flying, plus some internal magic. It will always come up with the same value for a model number on that transmitter.

That's how you can bind multiple receivers to the same model position, or multiple telemetry dongles to the same airplane.

Andy
I had a DX7 that I laid on a bench such that the Bind Button was unknowingly depressed. It had previously been Bound to the AR7000 in the aircraft. When I turned on the Tx and then the Rx, it would not Link anymore and I had to Bind again. I did this several times before I realized the Bind Button was being depressed by the weight of the Tx.

I remember that I was told that each time the Tx was turned on, with the Bind Button depressed, a different GUID was dent than the one stored in the Rx during the previous Bind.

What is different when the same Tx and Model Memory is Bound to two receivers or two STI modules? What mechanism allows you to Bind to Rx1, then Rx2, and stlii Link with both?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:50 AM
Franco2fly

We had a crummy weekend weather wise forcing locals inside so I took the opportunity to complete the Telemetry package in my 1/4 scale EAA biplane.  Now, it has Airspeed, RPM, head temp, of course Rx voltage, and the infamous Altitude.  So I get a break in the weather gas and fire up for a quick test outside the garage

Low and behold, the Altitude reading is. -.0.3 feet  which is close enough, but as soon as I get the big blade whirring, it jumps to 12 feet.  Higher RPM and the altitude goes up to 20 feet.  It took a while to figure out, but if you look closely, you can see that there is a huge windscreen in front of the pilot.  Inside the cockpit the On/Off switch and charge cable are loosely mounted,   The gaps around the switch are significant.  I found that covering up the entire cockpit area caused the Altitude to again drop to Sealevel.  So, I conclude that the windscreen is causing a huge vacuum behind and in the cockpit which is lowering the airpressure inside the body.  This is where I'm requesting some help.

I got some bath seal Silicone and plan to seal the area around the switch.  I also think I will take the top of a small hard plastic box (like the one sewing kits come in)  glue and seal it to the inside wall with the sensor inside.  I'll poke a pin hole in the fuselage, hopefully prop wash won't cause a vacuum going across the pin hole.  That's my solution, and I'ld like the groups opinion.  Once done, I'll know pretty quick if its gonna work, but is there an easier better solution?

Thanks

KKKKFL
Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you're on the right track by putting the altitude sensor in a sealed box, with a pinhole. However, that accomplishes "mechanical" averaging for things that can unnaturally pressurize, or depressurize the fuselage in momentary ways. Like unusual manuevers. But if you have a constant and consistent air leak, like the venturi effect of the windscreen on an open cockpit, or holes in the firewall for things like fuel lines and throttle linkage, the pinhole-in-box idea won't work. I plan to put mine inside the vertical tail surface, under the ultrakote. With about 5 of pin holes.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Franco2fly

pinhole in box is fairly easy.  I'll report on success or failure.  The other idea was to get a 12" extension and place the sensor behind the pilot's head as seen in the picture, hoping that the sensor would be well back of the low pressure caused by the windscreen.  Or, perhaps inside the figure with a pin hole in his head.  Also a pretty easy test.

KKKKFL
Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Franco2fly

No entries for over a week...  Ok I'll ask a new question.

I have the 3 axis g-force sensor in a plane, and apart from jerking it up and down and side to side in the shop to see the needles move, what good is this sensor?

I don't recall a speak option on the STi, even so, don't know what good that would do unless you were executing a really big loop.

Maybe there's some utility in looking at the logged data, if it even is a loggable output, if so how do I enable the logging?

Thanks

KKKKFL
Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 PM
AndyKunz

Logging is only available in the STi, DX10t and DX18.

The real usefulness is to a designer to see how many g's he needs to design to. For average Joe Modeler, we have fun with it seeing who can get the most g's out of a snap or something.

Andy
Old 05-02-2012, 01:07 PM
sam@ata
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/quote]

Hi Sam,

We announced a 150A current sensor at the Nuremberg Toy Fair this year. When it comes out, you can be sure people will be mentioning it here, and probably even more over on the RCG Radios forum where I usually dwell.

We also announced a dual 15A mAh meter, which would basically be for the guys using with the PowerSafe receivers we make. I haven't seen anything on it myself other than the announcements, but it sounds like something that might fit your big bird.

Got a video of your model? A-10's are one of my favorites. We have a jet meet (Illini SuperJets) in the fall and the big A-10 that shows up is a beaut. E-jets are welcome there, too. Come on down www.elifield.com

Andy

[/quote]

Andy, any news or update on these items since being announced? I didnt make Toledo and tried to look over all the coverage but nothing came up on these amperage sensors so im inquiring again.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 AM
AndyKunz

Sorry, Sam, I'm don't know when shipping.

I didn't make Toledo either.

Andy
Old 05-03-2012, 05:25 AM
JohnB96041

I must say that I am really satisfied with the results of the Sti module and my Spektrum DX8 system. I currently have Cylinder head temp, battery voltage, altimeter, airspeed, G-force, receiver voltage and all work great. Just waiting for the ability to download the log files from the Sti module to my PC. I have about 20 flights on the system in my Funtana 125 with a 30cc gas engine (way too much power) and everything is working great. I have the Sti module set to start recording when engine speed hits 2000 rpm. What is next? and possible timetable for next Sti and DX8 upgrade?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:57 PM
AndyKunz

We never announce software release dates, sorry.

Andy
Old 05-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Franco2fly

Hey John,
How do I tell the STi module to start recording at a predetermined RPM,  I like the sounds of that.  Once started, does it continue even if the RPM drops below the threshold?

Like you, I really want the STi to drop the data to a text file that I can e-mail to myself.  My recommendation is that they write the file Comma delimited, (CSV) and that way we will be able to import into Excel, or the lookalike Spreadsheet.

KKKKFL
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 AM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

Hey John,
How do I tell the STi module to start recording at a predetermined RPM, I like the sounds of that. Once started, does it continue even if the RPM drops below the threshold?

Like you, I really want the STi to drop the data to a text file that I can e-mail to myself. My recommendation is that they write the file Comma delimited, (CSV) and that way we will be able to import into Excel, or the lookalike Spreadsheet.

KKKKFL
OK...go into the setup of the Sti and scroll down to "Log Parameters" . I have mine set to AutoLogging, Sensor Name = RPM, Start Log at Value = 1800, Stop log value = 0, Timeout for No Values = 60.0. It starts logging when engine reaches or exceecs 1800 RPM. Stops recording when the RPM = 0. Not sure what the Timeout for No Values should be, probably also = 0.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 PM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

Hey John,
How do I tell the STi module to start recording at a predetermined RPM, I like the sounds of that. Once started, does it continue even if the RPM drops below the threshold?

Like you, I really want the STi to drop the data to a text file that I can e-mail to myself. My recommendation is that they write the file Comma delimited, (CSV) and that way we will be able to import into Excel, or the lookalike Spreadsheet.

KKKKFL
Hi Franco, I'm just looking for an Open Source programmer who is interested in doing it. If somebody knows one, have them contact me.

Andy
Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Franco2fly

I must have gotten something wrong with that AutoStart of the Log process....  It did point out a software deficiency however.  Now maybe I didn't get the settings correct, but when I looked at the files for a 5 munite flight I had a file started and stopped every two seconds,  over 150 files!!!!

Ok that's my bad, but the SW needs to be written that allows one to select more than a single file at a time for deletion.  Right now, one selects edit, then you can pick a file, then you can select to delete it..  Next you re-select edit, re-select the next file, select delete, and on and on.  Took about an hour to clear it all out.

I have changed all models to Manual start stop until I can figure out the logging.  Does anyone know where the actual file is being stored?  I'm thinking it is in the iPhone somewhere.

KKKKFL
Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 AM
pkchapman

Can the TM1000 be made to work independently from the planes receiver by providing<o></o>

its own battery.<o></o>

Under this scenario can you bind it to the transmitter and the STi and<o></o>

have it read RPM and Temp and monitor its own battery?<o></o>

No information to be read on the Transmitter.<o></o>

Data to be displayed on the STi/I-phone only.<o></o>

<o></o>

If an extension of 24 inches were added to the temperature thermocouple<o></o>

would it cause too much error in the temperature reading.<o></o>

<o></o>

Thanks.<o></o>

Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Franco2fly

I'm almost certain that it can, but here's my concern.  Say you are using some 3rd party receiver, it may or may not like the RF environment that surrounds or is generated by the TM1000.  You're kinda "on your own" when you use it with NON OEM equipment.  It does say in the TM manual that it works with ANY DSM2 or DSMX receiver, but I wouldn't.  When you start adding up the money, (most sensors are @ or near 50 bucks) so lets see  STi 100 bucks, Altimeter 50 bucks, Airspeed 50 bucks, RPM sensor 30 bucks,  I'm over 2 bills, already.  You sure you want to skimp on the Rx at this point?  I haven't even added the platform/engine/batteries etc.

Just my thoughts, some people have deeper pockets than others for the hobby.

KKKKFL

Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 AM
pkchapman

I’m not sure I understand.<o></o>

I will ask my question this way.<o></o>

<o></o>

If you replaced the power source to the TM1000 in your configuration<o></o>

with a standalone battery.<o></o>

<o></o>

Will the TM1000 still bind to your transmitter and transmit all data<o></o>

except data provided by your receiver to the STi?<o></o>

<o>
Would you still see data displayed on your Transmitter?
</o>

Will adding a 24 inch extension to the Temperature thermocouple<o></o>

add too much error in the temperature readings?

<o></o>

I do not know how the TM1000 works so my question may be way<o></o>

off base. <o></o>

<o></o>

Old 05-10-2012, 12:05 PM
AndyKunz

Yes. The TM1000 uses the connection to the rx to get servo bus voltage, and to get the flight-mode data.

If you don't need the flight mode data, you can power it by another source (3.5-9.6V I think - check website for specs).

The TM1000 needs to hear the transmitter in order to transmit telemetry data. You can't have another brand of tx, a TM1000, and STi and expect it to work.

Andy
Old 05-10-2012, 01:47 PM
pkchapman

I understand.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 AM
JohnB96041

Just purchased the 4000mAh LiPo Transmitter Battery for the DX8 transmitter. Other that setting the transmitter for the 7.4 volt 2s battery, how long should I charge the battery the first time? How long does it take for a normal charge?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

Just purchased the 4000mAh LiPo Transmitter Battery for the DX8 transmitter. Other that setting the transmitter for the 7.4 volt 2s battery, how long should I charge the battery the first time? How long does it take for a normal charge?
I charged overnight and the Blue light went out indicating the charge was done.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:13 PM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Are you indicating that the blue light goes out but the red/orange light stays on? Or does the charging light go out all together?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Are you indicating that the blue light goes out but the red/orange light stays on? Or does the charging light go out all together?
I only see the Blue light on the Transmitter when it is being charged. No lights when the charge is done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.