Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:37 AM
Franco2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

I gotta question concerning the STi application and the iPad.

Due to the whacked out way Apple does things, all the applications on my iPhone are also on my wife's iPad. Now I know that there's prolly not a lot of call to use an iPad, its just way too big to fit in a shirt pocket, still it might be nice for my wife, (when she accompanies me to the field) to watch the gauges. So this weekend, I had some time and i plugged the Dongle into the iPad. Sure enough it all worked, however I discovered that on the iPad, one only gets 2 pages, with the second page dedicated to graphing and playback functions. I tried "Edit Gauges" but it would not allow me to drag to the second page, and I have no idea how to create a second page. Further, requesting stats, the program just overlays the data over top of the existing gauges. As a user interface it stinks, but maybe its because I don't know how to create additional pages, Is there a Mac Guru out there that understands the STi application and can assist?

Thanks

KKKKFL
Old 05-14-2012, 05:18 AM
JohnB96041

Couple of things to check. Does the ipad have the latest IOS? Try to reinstall the Sti apps on the ipad. Mine works great on both the iphone 3gs and the ipad, but have them both at the latest IOS.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Franco2fly

Do you have more than 2 pages on the iPad?   I just purchased it about 3 weeks ago and did the latest IOS upgrade on Friday.  As I indicated, it does work on the iPad, it just doesn't display the same way on the iPad as it does on the iPhone.  On the iPhone, I have 4 pages, page 1 has the Gauges, page 2 has the Mins/Max stats, page 3 (I seem to recall) has Fades and holds data and page 4 has the Graphing and replay stuff.

On the iPad, almost everything is on the top page.  Sliding stuff to the left brings up the Graphing page and the replay page (Select file)

I don't see anyway to create additional windows.

KKKKFL
Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Franco.

There's only 2 pages because that's all it takes. All the data fits on 2 screens that would have taken 4 on the phone.

Andy
Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 AM
Franco2fly

Thanks Andy,
Yea you can get 12 pounds of Bovine excrement in a 10 pound bag,  I don't care for thr over laying of dats (stats) and when it says "Edit Gauges" would prefer to be able to drag stuff to a second or third page...  leaving the graphing on a 4th page.

its just a personal preference thing, the displays do work.

KKKKFL
Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 AM
rcflyn4fun

^
|| That's a funny post!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, Andy (or anyone), I'm going to train a guy to fly using two DX8's. His is already bound, so his can be the "master". Mine can be the slave, and the student can use it. Which trainer mode (if any) will transfer any in-flight trims I do to his transmitter? We can match them on the ground so when I press the trainer button the surfaces don't move. But if I do in-flight trimming, the slave transmitter won't automatically see the adjustments, right?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:07 PM
AndyKunz

I would set the slave tx to Inh mode, the master to P-Link. Use a "default" (blank) model in the slave.

This would make it easiest, so all the programming is in one transmitter. If the master trims, it will work for the slave as well.

You will need to adjust the trims on the slave so that there is no servo movement when you push the trainer button.

Now, if the user clicks the trims, it will affect the model, and if the master clicks the trims, it will affect the model (for both users!).

This is the configuration I use when I train.

Andy
Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Pull Up Now!

Kind of sounds like the master trim can update the slave, but at the same time the slave can trim the model also. Since I doubt the slaves trim will update the master, won't the two transmitters trim get off from each other? And if so, then what is the point of pressing the trainer button and adjusting the slave so the surfaces don't move when the button is pressed?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:16 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using two DX8s one in "P link" the other as slave.
First, the slave joysticks should be "calibrated", using the built in function, with all trim set to 0 before you start.

With the cable in place, and the Master Slave relationship established, and the receiver bound to the Master.
Pressing the trainer button on the master should not result in control surface deflection beyond perhaps a very small movement.
If it does, then the Master joystick calibration should be done. Unfortunately this can result in the Master's trim being changed.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:14 PM
AndyKunz

They don't change each others trims. Once you trim them for no movement, changing the trim on either will affect how it flies when that tx is in control. You should NOT be changing the trims on the slave once you have the slave adjusted so there's no movement on the model when changing between master/slave active.

You don't want to change the calibration in the Master. You adjust the slave so that it's matching the master. The master is the master.

Andy
Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Pull Up Now!

OK, but what if you have a student who is not capable of adjusting their own trims once airborn? I should have mentioned this is a new plane, so the real trims are not known yet. Sounds like bottom line is that the master should fly the plane first to establish the REAL trim settings, on a new plane. Bring the plane down, and then link up the two DX8's and adjust the slave for no movement when the button is pressed. I sort of thought the master trims should override the slave's trims, and the student could take a turn even on the first flight.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:14 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pull Up Now!

OK, but what if you have a student who is not capable of adjusting their own trims once airborn? I should have mentioned this is a new plane, so the real trims are not known yet. Sounds like bottom line is that the master should fly the plane first to establish the REAL trim settings, on a new plane. Bring the plane down, and then link up the two DX8's and adjust the slave for no movement when the button is pressed. I sort of thought the master trims should override the slave's trims, and the student could take a turn even on the first flight.
When the aircraft is trimmed out via the Master, you land, and adjust the trims on the Slave, while turning the Trainer button On and Off, until there is no movement of the control surfaces when the Trainer button is depressed. Each time you retrim the Master, you follow this process. Sometimes, I will have another experienced pilot hold the Slave, five him control, and let him trim the Slave Tx while the aircraft is flying. Then, the Slave is handed back to the student.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:12 AM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: Pull Up Now!

My bad. I assumed you were already to that stage. That's the ONLY way to do training correctly.

Andy
Old 05-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Pull Up Now!

Hey, Andy, up until now I've only had one plane on my DX8. It's name is Cap232. All bound, many flights, etc. So now, I go to do the trainer thing with a new guy. I copied his plane to my transmitter, plane #2, via SD card, set mine up as the slave, his the master. Now, I tried to fly my Cap232 and it needs rebinding! Is this normal, or even convenient?? I know the instructions mention some stuff about rebinding when copying models, but I completely lost all the settings for the Cap. And I didn't copy anything related to the Cap232, model #1. Once I rebound, everything was reversed, expo curves gone, smoke system disabled, etc etc.

The reason I copied his Kadet to my transmitter is because if I didn't do that, all the surfaces and servos were jittery.

Am I doing something wrong? What happened to the simple days when a trainer cord just swapped joysticks. Seems like when they went to serial ports, everything got fat and ugly.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 AM
AndyKunz

They aren't a serial port. It's still the same PPM interface that it's always been.

I don't know where the jitter came from. We do this all the time on our planes here with no problem.

Let me guess about the disappearing Cap:

In his radio, it's model number 1. He exported it to the card and the name was 01KADET.SPM or something similar.

You selected model 2 in your radio. You put the card in your radio and selected Import All, because you knew there was only 1 file on the card.

Did I guess right?

Andy
Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Pull Up Now!

It's possible I did that. To tell the truth, the transfer was made from the SD card last week and I can't remember whether I imported all or just the one model. Today so we flew the new pilot and his new plane using the spectrum buddy cord. Even though I had rebound my 232, his airplane when selected on my transmitter which is the slave still worked without jitter. So that's good. and when I switched back to the 232 it required no re-binding also. Perhaps the bottom-line here is to save all your airplanes to an SD card as a precaution.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:19 PM
AndyKunz

That's what we tell people, but inevitably they don't, even very smart guys make a mistake sometimes.

I sounds like you understand why I asked.

For those who don't, when you Import All it uses the first two digits of the filename to determine the model number to put the model into. So when I said it was model 1 on the slave, the default name for a file is XXmodelname where XX is the model number. When it was imported, it went to the same model number on the new tx, overwriting the Cap.

I've done it myself, don't feel bad!

Andy
Old 05-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Pull Up Now!

After I imported the guy's Kadet, using HIS SD card, it cured the jitter. His model became #2 on my DX8, and my Cap232 was still listed as model #1. I didn't know at the time the Cap's binding was erased. When I did rebind, all it's settings were changed/reversed. But as I said, it retained the Cap232 name. Andy, would a new model #1's settings and binding from the student's SD card have replaced my Cap232 but somehow RETAINED my original name?

The instructions say you have to rebind after copying a model. Does that refer to your EXISTING models, or the NEW copied one? Or all? And does that also include copying a model from one DX8 position to another, such as #1 copy to #2 (no SD card involvement)? Or are they just only referring to copying from an SD card to a DX8 model position?

Keep in mind these are detailed situations really not covered by the limited 1 or 2 paragraphs in the instruction book, which I've read. Could it be that having to publish in 5 different languages has caused suppliers to vastly cut down on the value (length) of instruction books??????
Old 05-26-2012, 02:14 PM
AndyKunz

After I imported the guy's Kadet, using HIS SD card, it cured the jitter. His model became #2 on my DX8, and my Cap232 was still listed as model #1. I didn't know at the time the Cap's binding was erased. When I did rebind, all it's settings were changed/reversed. But as I said, it retained the Cap232 name. Andy, would a new model #1's settings and binding from the student's SD card have replaced my Cap232 but somehow RETAINED my original name?
No, they all get erased at the same time during the import process, but only in the current model. Is it possible you copied Model 1 Cap to Model 2, flew it on Model 2 and made adjustments (bound it, flew it, etc), then imported Kadet (to the current model, number 2)? This would explain the not-bound, the reversing, etc.

The instructions say you have to rebind after copying a model. Does that refer to your EXISTING models, or the NEW copied one? Or all?
Only the new copied model (within the same radio, using Model Copy function). All the other models in the radio, including the "source" of the copy, stay bound and unchanged.

And does that also include copying a model from one DX8 position to another, such as #1 copy to #2 (no SD card involvement)? Or are they just only referring to copying from an SD card to a DX8 model position?
When you export a model, the bind information does not go into the file. When you import a model, it is not bound to anything. But that does not affect any of the other models int he radio in any way.

Keep in mind these are detailed situations really not covered by the limited 1 or 2 paragraphs in the instruction book, which I've read. Could it be that having to publish in 5 different languages has caused suppliers to vastly cut down on the value (length) of instruction books??????
Andy
Old 05-26-2012, 10:25 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I found was that stick calibration should be done on both the master and the slave. With a "clean" (reset, etc) ACRO selected, they should match closely at O stick deflection. I use a servo tester readout and a receiver to make sure that center stick is really center stick, and does not shift when the trainer button is pushed. Generally, I set the master to P master, and the slave to slave.
The same servo tester is also used to set up an A/C. Usually, a servo is set to the middle of its range (1500) and the servo arm adjusted to be 90 deg to the servo case. Then the linkage is adjusted so that a control surface is also at a neutral position. Servo and linkage mechanical "span" is set so that neither the servo or the control surface hits a mechanical stop. The linkage is generally setup so that around 1000-1020 and 1980-2000 are "normal" span limits. Some (usually inexpensive servos) may have slightly different limits. And, of course there are programmable digital servos, just to add another variable.

It may be that the transmitter behavior is slightly different based upon one or more of several variables, such as temperature, software revision, etc. when I changed from the 2.03 rev to 2.04, I ended up using the stick cal routine in the DX8 tx's that are used in master slave mode. We recheck for any shift before flight with the trainer button.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:51 AM
Franco2fly

The thread has been pretty dead for a number of days now so I'll post the following question.

Has there been any word of STi's next upgrade ( the software in the iPhone)?  In particular, I'm looking for the release of the Variometer sensor, and of course the "associated dial" on the iPhone.  Also, would like to know what they are working on for new improvements.  I know several of us would like to be able to export the flight data.

I'm finding that a 10 second audio read-out works well if you limit the sensors to Altitude, speed, and Temp. (Don't care about Temp for the Nitro planes, but very valuable on Electric where I track the ESC temprature)  Anyone else have ideas or findings that they want to share?

Thanks

KKKKFL
Old 06-07-2012, 03:15 AM
sam@ata
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still waiting to hear when the amp sensors will be released. Andy stated few post back in april i believe that they were shown at the Nuemberg toy show but nothing seen or heard since then.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:37 AM
AndyKunz

It's being worked on, Franco, and when it's ready it will be published.

Andy
Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Franco2fly

I'll presume you are talking about exporting data when you say "Its being worked on" just for clarification.

KKKKFL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.