Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

ORIGINAL: dale691

I have a strange thing happening with my TM1000. Just tried to bind it to my JR921 RX. If I plug it into the Data port the RX doesn't go into bind mode, however if I plug it into the Batt/Bind port things seem to work fine. I get telemetry from both Batt1/Bind and Batt2/Data! Is this all a bit strange?
You must connect the TM1000 to the Data port in order to receive Flight Log data.

I Bind both the TM1000 and the Rx using just the Bind button on the TM1000.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPM9548-Manual_EN.pdf
Old 09-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Franco2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I think the radios should be provided with a "Y" cable that one plugs into the Bind/Batt port with one leg labeled Bind and the other labeled power.  Every new receiver I purchase gets this addition prior to any installation. I even put a splash of paint on the ends, one White(used for bind)  and one Red (used for power) Any bind problems, and you have the pig-tail available.  I think this was a tip that Andy passed along. Many thanks Dude.

KKKKFL
Old 09-07-2012, 06:58 AM
Aerocal

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I have a strange thing happening with my TM1000. Just tried to bind it to my JR921 RX. If I plug it into the Data port the RX doesn't go into bind mode, however if I plug it into the Batt/Bind port things seem to work fine. I get telemetry from both Batt1/Bind and Batt2/Data! Is this all a bit strange?
You must connect the TM1000 to the Data port in order to receive Flight Log data.

Rich
Yes the button works well in a pinch.I prefer to advise a y and a bindplug in general.Its handfree and theres no chance of mashing the button and caving in the spring.Seems alot of users especially the newer ones dont understand the term 'finesse".Ive found that many simply dont have the dexterity to hold the button on with one hand and be able to engage the bind button and turn the radio on with the other.Its even a bit tough for me to plug a deans in with one hand while holding the button.
I know you can understand this.I saw a guy at the field trying to bind with the button and when I spotted him it looked like he was trying to punch a hole in a piece of leather with an awl.Poking and twisting the stylus.I went over to help and he was complaining what a POS it was because his other TM was stuck in bind mode.He was arguing that the y and bindplug wouldnt work.The manual didnt tell him to do it that way.It took me awhile to explain it to him and ease him back out of fight mode.There were a half a dozen others standing around when I got him sorted.The proverbial bunch of monkeys and a football came to mind.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Aerocal

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Rich
Yes the button works well in a pinch.I prefer to advise a y and a bindplug in general.Its handfree and theres no chance of mashing the button and caving in the spring.Seems alot of users especially the newer ones dont understand the term 'finesse''.Ive found that many simply dont have the dexterity to hold the button on with one hand and be able to engage the bind button and turn the radio on with the other.Its even a bit tough for me to plug a deans in with one hand while holding the button.
I know you can understand this.I saw a guy at the field trying to bind with the button and when I spotted him it looked like he was trying to punch a hole in a piece of leather with an awl.Poking and twisting the stylus.I went over to help and he was complaining what a POS it was because his other TM was stuck in bind mode.He was arguing that the y and bindplug wouldnt work.The manual didnt tell him to do it that way.It took me awhile to explain it to him and ease him back out of fight mode.There were a half a dozen others standing around when I got him sorted.The proverbial bunch of monkeys and a football came to mind.
Thanks!
I have only used the TM1000 with the AR8000, and I knew that it had to be plugged in to the Data port to receive Flight Log Telemetry. I agree that the Bind Button is tough to depress and it also limits you to only one type of Failsafe setting. I can see now that using the Bind Plug is a better option.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:07 AM
JohnB96041

Got the GPS module installed in my airplane, but have a question about its placement and position. Does it make any difference which way the module is placed in the aircraft as to front, back, left, right? I know that it must be situated with the top pointed up to be able to acquire satilitte info. This question is in reference to the heading degree reading.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The heading is determined by how the position changes. It has nothing to do with orientation of the sensor. The only issue is to make sure the antenna pointing upwards.

Andy
Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 AM
JohnB96041

Guess it is time to put the blame on iTunes. Still no update for the Sti Apps, so no GPS info on my iPhone. Hey, Andy: How about a fuel guage for the next item? Some kind of wrap around sensor attached to the fuel tank to give a reading as to amount of fuel left in tank. I know, fuel moves all the time in the tank from different attitudes of the aircraft, but would be nice to have.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:23 PM
AndyKunz

Thanks for the suggestion, John.

Andy
Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Franco2fly

I have a quick question on the STi application related to Alarm sounds.  For the life of me I cannot find the Alarm setting in the iPhone to make the Sound an Alarm that is not terribly offensive   any tips?

KKKKFL
Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 AM
verendrye
My Feedback: (6)

I am having some difficulty getting the STi program to start displaying data. I have resorted to unplugging the STI, sometimes several times, to get it started. Is there a magic sequence to reliable start-up? ( the binding light is ON).

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Aerocal

Franco
Use the speech option.It also makes it much simpler to distinguish between various alarms if you have more than one active/setup. There is only one alarm sound that I know of for now.That may change sometime but for now I use speech.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Aerocal

ORIGINAL: verendrye

I am having some difficulty getting the STi program to start displaying data. I have resorted to unplugging the STI, sometimes several times, to get it started. Is there a magic sequence to reliable start-up? ( the binding light is ON).

Thanks!
I found it seems to initially connect best if you turn it on before you power the model.It can be stubborn sometimes.I think keeping it a few feet away seems to help too.
You have the right idea about when it is stubborn.Leave everything else alone and pull the dongle out of the device.Wait few seconds and plug it back in.
Ive said this before but the #1 thing you can do to increase its reliability is to double tap the home button on your iDevice and terminate all the unused processes to free up as much memory as possible.It makes a huge difference.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Franco2fly

I do use speech, usually I get Altitude, Airspeed, RPM and temp spoken every 10 seconds.  But this last weekend while maidening a new plane, something set off the KLAXXON alarm, such that I couldn't hear anything else.  Maybe I had the voltage setting set too low, I don't know what set it off since I also screwed up the Data record setting so I only had about 10 seconds of recorded data.  I have now set it up to Record as soon as RPM exceeds 700.  Only problem is that if I have a dead stick situation its gonna stop recording even though the RPM gets stuck at something over 1500.  This is a known bug, and I hope STi fixes it soon.  For now I would be happy if I could change the Klaxxon to something different.

KKKKFL
Old 09-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Aerocal

Franco the setting for alarm preferences is separate from the spoken telemetry settings.The alarm speech will override the regular speech if there is an alarm.I have regular telemetry and alarms set to speech.The klaxxon drives me nuts.If you have more than one alarm setup you dont know which one is sounding unless you look at the screen for the bouncing icon.
Unless you fly with a spotter and they watch the screen its not real practical to try and look at it while your trying to fly.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Franco2fly

I cannot find the Klaxon sound anywhere on my iPhone.  I guess my question is can the Klaxon be changed to something less obtrusive under the iPhone  ios?

KKKKFL
Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Aerocal

That sound is part of the iOS but the STi only accesses that one.Maybe the option to assign the alarm sounds will be added in the future but for now we are stuck with that one.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:05 PM
JohnB96041

I think I have something not activated. DX8, AR8000, TM1000. Got the GPS module hooked up. All readings on the DX8 appear except for the time. It is all zeros. I am in Oklahoma and have the GPS set to -6 for the time. Any help?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Aerocal

John
It is an identified problem.It should be fixed soon.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 PM
AndyKunz

John,

Next update you will have no excuses for the wife about not knowing what time it is

Andy
Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 PM
JohnB96041

How can I view the SPEKTRUM.TLM file? I noticed that it is on the SD card after I did the last update 2.05. I copied it to my PC and would like to see what is in the file.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:09 PM
JohnB96041

OK.....found out how on another forum. I emailed the file to myself, opened the email on the iphone, tapped on the attachment and it ask if I would like to open in the Sti module. Did that and there was the file. Works great. Now would like to be able to open the file on my PC.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:08 AM
Franco2fly

My question deals with the Airspeed sensor.  I  now have at least 5 planes with Telemetry, and the latest is driving me crazy with intermittent read outs of airspeed.  I have taken to do a pre-flight where I use a soda straw and covering the Pitot tube blow on the straw to ensure read outs.  Even so, once in the air, I constantly hear "Airspeed Zero".  This is a brand new module, and I've only flown the bird twice, but each time there's no read out while flying.  The Pitot tube is mounted out on the wing and extends forward of the  Leading edge by an inch. (Maybe this needs to be increased?)  Is the position of the sensor with regards to the other sensors important?  I have RPM/Altitude/Temp in this plane.

KKKKFL
Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 AM
JohnB96041

Have you tried reversing the tubes coming from the pitot to the module? I assume it will make a difference according to the instructions.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 AM
JohnB96041

The static port goes to the negative *** on the airspeed module, the pressure port goes to goes to the positive *** on the airspeed module. Also, the instructions say .5" min from the static hole to leading edge of the wing. I think all of mine are 1" from static hole to leading edge. Most real aircraft have the pitot tube extending down and forward of the wing leading edge or if in the nose of the aircraft it is extending out away from the fuselage and then turning forward into the air stream. Check out on some photos of full scale aircraft. Just some ideas. If all else fails, contact HH support.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Franco2fly

Is the static hole the second one back on the tube?  Mine are mounted to the bottom side of the wing, Usually, I use the front most outer screw that holds down the aileron servo cover plate, but this might not make that static hole stick out enough.

KKKKFL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.