Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 AM
Franco2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

While I search for a Zlin replacement looks like I will need to Telemeterize my Tricolori (actually a modified Diamante).  I got the Altimeter, and Optical RPM installed and working now just need to thread the Airspeed hoses and mount the Pitot tube.  A 14.7v 3300mah battery should juice it along ok.  Will be neat to see what the speeds are.

KKKKFL
Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

Here's another thing they don't tell you until you start (I went ahead last night) It takes about 5 hours that's right FIVE HOURS ( you have to plug in the external power source) to do the update, and then you're still not done. There's all this CRAP about agree to this agree to that use location, etc. I did it because I hate seeing icons with ''Update'' warnings, and I couldn't find a way to disable the little red ''1'' I have a 3g phone, so there really was NO need to update as far as I could see, but then I haven't seen where the Map comes into play, and I'm still in the process of evaluating. It will be interesting to see if the in-ability to access the Time-out before the screen goes blank is still there. Due to the fact that I have Company mail pushed to my phone, there was something Hacked on the old IOS that forced the max time to less than 3 minutes.

I thought that I had AutoLog set to start with RPM over 2000, but when I got back to the flite line it was set to Manual and had not started. I blame myself for not having a better procedure. I had the earphone in my ear and it was reporting Altitude and Airspeed, but was a little too hasty in dropping the iPhone and dongle into my top pocket so I didn't notice the Logging icon. I also dislike the cord from the phone to my ear bud dangling as I bend down to spin the prop and start the motor. Really need a better solution to the audio, something like the wireless things you use for hands free, but I'll have to investigate.
KKKKFL
I use a Bluetooth headset.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Franco2fly

OK,
Can you tell me the model/make of the bluetooth you are using... no sense in pioneering new ground, I'm taking it that you just hear the audio output.  Did you just need to link the device to the iPhone?

Now on another topic, the plane shown above has an AR6200 rx which comes up as DSM2.  OK so I added a "Y" connector to the bind/data port, (it gets power from the BEC of the ESC on the throttle port,)  but when I put the bind plug in one leg of the "Y, just the receiver and sat rx started blinking.  the TM1000 just came on with an orange light, and did NOT go into bind mode.  I unplugged power and tried again still no joy.  Finally, I resorted to the stylus on the side of the TM1K (it ain't easy since you need to hold the stylus against the pin while trying to connect the battery pack), but I was able to get everything (STi + RX + Sat Rx+ TM1K) to lock to the DX8.  But why did the "Y" connector NOT work?  It works on all my other planes.  Its a little un-nerving.

KKKKFL
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 AM
BuschBarber

OK,
Can you tell me the model/make of the bluetooth you are using... no sense in pioneering new ground, I'm taking it that you just hear the audio output. Did you just need to link the device to the iPhone?

Now on another topic, the plane shown above has an AR6200 rx which comes up as DSM2. OK so I added a ''Y'' connector to the bind/data port, (it gets power from the BEC of the ESC on the throttle port,) but when I put the bind plug in one leg of the ''Y, just the receiver and sat rx started blinking. the TM1000 just came on with an orange light, and did NOT go into bind mode. I unplugged power and tried again still no joy. Finally, I resorted to the stylus on the side of the TM1K (it ain't easy since you need to hold the stylus against the pin while trying to connect the battery pack), but I was able to get everything (STi + RX + Sat Rx+ TM1K) to lock to the DX8. But why did the ''Y'' connector NOT work? It works on all my other planes. Its a little un-nerving.

KKKKFL
Plantronics Pulsar 590E Stereo Bluetooth Headset. I originally bought it so I could not only Send and Receive from my Android cell phone, but also so I could listen to Music, spoken Tesx Messages, and Turn by Turn Navigation messages. It also works with my iPod Touch. With a Bluetooth Earpiece, I could only hear Incoming and Outgoing calls. There are different standards for different sources of Audio. My Plantronics 590E receives them all.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:13 AM
Franco2fly

One last question Rich on the bluetooth.  I have bluetooth set up to automatically link in the car to the iPhone, is the 590 going to interfere with this operation?

Thanks,

I saw some on e-bay for a hundred bucks, but I want to have a good idea that its gonna work.  I'm concerned with battery requirements too.

KKKKFL
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 AM
BuschBarber

One last question Rich on the bluetooth. I have bluetooth set up to automatically link in the car to the iPhone, is the 590 going to interfere with this operation?

Thanks,

I saw some on e-bay for a hundred bucks, but I want to have a good idea that its gonna work. I'm concerned with battery requirements too.

KKKKFL
I recently bought a new JVC Stereo radio for my van, that was Bluetooth capable. If I am driving with passengers, I can switch to the 590 and listen to the GPS on my cell phone, music, send and receive phone calls, or I can shut the 590 off and use the radio. I have friends who have more than one Bluetooth cell phone and they can switch back and forth, in their car, if necessary.

You can Pair multiple Bluetooth devices if needed.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Franco2fly

Thanks Rich,

Sounds like this is the way to go.

I came close to having the earbud wires drop into the spinning prop as I adjusted the needle valve last weekend and resolved to find a better way.  That's the one thing about adding Telemetry, I'm at the point where I almost need a check list to make certain everything is 'Ready for Takeoff' .  I have a standard check out process, Range, for the first flight, followed by servo direction on all surfaces, then turn on audio, check to see that the dials showed up, check the telemetry bars, turn on the voice, START your engines,   Remember when it was flip the prop turn the radio on and give her a good toss?

KKKKFL
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I came close to having the earbud wires drop into the spinning prop as I adjusted the needle valve last weekend and resolved to find a better way.... Remember when it was flip the prop turn the radio on and give her a good toss?
Also, watch out for loose clothing, now that it is getting cooler and that jacket is hanging open, etc.,and as always watch those transmitter straps also.

Needless complexityis exactly why my telemetry module and sensors are still sitting on the bench. IMHO, once you get things on the plane dialed in, this stuff just becomes another distraction. KISS. For me, this hobby is supposed to be fun and simplicity increases the fun factor.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Franco2fly

I find the telemetry very useful but there was a learning curve as to what
Bits of info added and what distracted. Being able to replay a flight is invaluable.
I would counsel newbies to use all sensors but only get audio to the ear in a one
At a time fashion. I've found that folks are clueless when estimating altitude. 
My approaches are better now that I have a more constant height for downwind
And base turns. Try altitude alone and let me know your experience
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber
Plantronics Pulsar 590E Stereo Bluetooth Headset.
Rich,

Do you really wear "ear muffs" for this? I have a real hard time with headsets like that. Even when I DJ'd, I'd leave one ear off, which was fine until I got it too close to the mike. I guess it's part of being claustrophobic.

I'm interested in something that looks like a hearing aid for BT.

Andy
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber
Plantronics Pulsar 590E Stereo Bluetooth Headset.
Rich,

Do you really wear ''ear muffs'' for this? I have a real hard time with headsets like that. Even when I DJ'd, I'd leave one ear off, which was fine until I got it too close to the mike. I guess it's part of being claustrophobic.

I'm interested in something that looks like a hearing aid for BT.

Andy
I have used an earpiece, like the Jawbone, but it did not support any audio except Send and Receive calls.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Franco2fly

Guys ALERT, ALERT!!!!  The new STi update is out there for your downloading pleasure.

It will take a few minutes to get used to the new layout, but I now have to have the GPS sensor!!!!

I'm also anxious to try the email file I sent to my home computer...  wanna see if I can get tab delimited data into a spreadsheet of some kind.

KKKKFL
Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 PM
JohnB96041

Got the new Sti Apps. Had to give it a try. I have all the Spektrum modules, I think, including GPS. Everything seems to work great. First test flight, was very cold for me here in Oklahoma. I was able to get my location on a map that was very accurate. I don't know why I would want to email the file from the iphone to my computer since I do not have any application on my PC that will read a .tlm file. However, it worked great emailing from my iphone to my ipad. Thanks for a great update goes to the Spektrum Development Team. So far, just what I wanted.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Franco2fly

Try changing the extension to dot txt. Then look for numbers you can parse
Old 10-05-2012, 03:59 PM
AndyKunz

Guys ALERT, ALERT!!!! The new STi update is out there for your downloading pleasure.

It will take a few minutes to get used to the new layout, but I now have to have the GPS sensor!!!!

I'm also anxious to try the email file I sent to my home computer... wanna see if I can get tab delimited data into a spreadsheet of some kind.

KKKKFL
It's pure binary, Franco. Don't waste your time.

I'm glad to hear you like it! Freechip has his running on IOS6 so you might want to check what he says about it.

John, I'll pass it along to the developers.

Andy
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 AM
JohnB96041

Andy: I am running IOS 6 on my iphone 3gs and the Sti works just great. The only thing I do is to double tap the home button and shut down any apps that are running in the background before plugging in the Sti Module. It instantly connects. Also, might note that with my model sitting in the front room on a card table the GPS module is acquiring 5-7 satellites. Amazing. It took about five minutes of playing around to find all the pages that the previous version had, but wasn't that hard. Love it.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Aerocal

Very good John.I like it too.
On iOS6 you will get the new Apple maps with the GPS.If you stay on iOS 5 you will continue to get google maps.Im not real fond of the apple maps.
If you have any more questions ask away.I think I have a pretty good grasp of how it all works.

Yes.Shutting down other apps running in the background before using STi makes a huge difference in reliability.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 PM
cosmo21

Hey guys, I'm using the airspeed module in a Habu 32, it seems to under read considerably.

1st question, is the read out in kph? or mph? If kph its under reading top speed by 60-70kph or more. But low speed seems about correct.

The pitot tube is directly out of the nose, with the static ports 1.5 inches away from nose cone. So no airflow problems, ie boundary layer ect.

At a loss really, as I want to set up this system in my turbines, so I have accurate speeds to calculate my vRef speeds for the landing approaches. If the system works right, we no longer need to eyeball the speeds and realtime data to use and operate our A/C much safer.

Matt
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Aerocal

ORIGINAL: cosmo21

Hey guys, I'm using the airspeed module in a Habu 32, it seems to under read considerably.

1st question, is the read out in kph? or mph? If kph its under reading top speed by 60-70kph or more. But low speed seems about correct.

The pitot tube is directly out of the nose, with the static ports 1.5 inches away from nose cone. So no airflow problems, ie boundary layer ect.

At a loss really, as I want to set up this system in my turbines, so I have accurate speeds to calculate my vRef speeds for the landing approaches. If the system works right, we no longer need to eyeball the speeds and realtime data to use and operate our A/C much safer.

Matt
What readout are you using? A DX radio or the STi app? It could be reading US or Metric depending on how you have it set.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:02 AM
cosmo21

Im using the iphone app.
Is there a way to configure mph to kph, vice versa?

Matt
Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Franco2fly

I saw the KPH somewhere, but it might have been in the DX8.

Now about emailing the file.  Can I download the STi app to my desk iMac and maybe do a replay on a big screen?  That might be useful, ultimately, however I would like to see software released that output or allowed the data string to be imported into a spreadsheet.  Even if I could only get the data that the voice output is speaking, it would allow me to make some sense of the G force data.

KKKKFL
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Aerocal

ORIGINAL: cosmo21

Im using the iphone app.
Is there a way to configure mph to kph, vice versa?

Matt
Yes. It is configured in the iDevice Settings.Open Settings page and scroll down to the STi listing.Tap on it and there is where you configure sound,vibe and metric or sae units.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Aerocal

Franco
I honestly dont know if you can run the STi app on an iMac.I havent seen reference to it in any of the documentation.I dont use a Mac so I dont know what apps are usable on it.
It would be interesting to find out.If I have time Ill try to look into it.Let us know if you find out anything too.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 AM
Franco2fly

According to folks on the Apple forum, you cannot get there from here, that is without an IOS emulator which is more trouble that its worth.  That said, STi has the software, how difficult would it be to tweek it for the iMac.  I know I would pay 59.95 for the program, especially if it would take the .tlm files and allow acces to data such that I could cut & paste into a spreadsheet.  Andy, if you have any connections and can forward to the appropriate folks, sure would appreciate it.

KKKKFL
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 AM
AndyKunz

They know. Everybody else will be free, yours will cost only 58.99 - you get a discount.

Seriously, though, it's not being ignored.

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.