Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Franco2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Andy,
Just completed upgrading to 2.06   Good grief I wish software folks would actually go through the steps and WRITE down what the do...

Please Pass along.. 

After ejecting the SD card, insert into the DX8  Power up (No buttons depressed) and observe the progress bar as the new software loads.

NEXT, verify the new software has been proper loaded by TURNING ON THE TRANSMITTER WITH THE roller depressed, this will be
entering the SYSTEM MENU, NEXT SCROLL to the bottom and select SYSTEM SETTINGS, OBSERVE THE "NEXT" selection in the
lower right hand corner.  Repeat the "Next" selection until the software version appears, it should read 2.06

This can be word smithed, but I'm off to check how the aircraft work..

Thanks

KKKKFL
Old 10-09-2012, 01:33 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you read the How-To.pdf?

Step 6 could be reworded a little, but that's about all.

Andy
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Franco2fly

Yup. Read it and executed step by step.  Just needs to be worded for
Folks that are not daily users. Word for your lowest common denominator. Just my 2cents cuz I see this 
Sort of thing from SW engineers all the time
Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 AM
AndyKunz

I'll give our writers the compliment that you think they're engineers!

Andy
Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Franco2fly

I should have knows it was too good to be true.  I cannot get the STi to work with the DX8 since I upgraded to 2.06  The STi was working with the new upgraded STi software and it now acts really strange.

When I start up I fire up the selected model on the transmitter first.  display has NO telemetry bars, In the past I would start the STi and select the model.  It would also have no bars and no light indicating its bound.

Next I plug in the power on and electric plane.  Usually, I get the motor beeps followed by the beep beep of speed too low, and the bars appear
on the DX8 indicating Telemetry link.

Now on the STi, I see that the light comes on solid indicating that the dongle has link but the needles don't show.

I've tried several models all do this same thing. The dongle lights up but there's no read out.

And here's the really weird thing.  The light on the dongle DOES NOT GO OUT when I shut down the power on the airplane,  It does go out when I shut off the transmitter.   Its like it is looking for data from the DX8 instead of the airplane.  Is there some setting I need to activate on the DX8
with this new software?

KKKKFL
Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 PM
AndyKunz

No new setting. I'll let the STi folks know about it.

Andy
Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Franco2fly

OK for folks following this thread,

Here's my usual process for using Telemetry:

I start by powering up the DX8 with the roller depressed,  I select the model I'm gonna fly
Next I set the transmitter down on the bench by the pits.  Go get the airplane and bring to the pit by
the table.

Now reach for the iPhone plug in the dongle, and start the STi application after closing out any programs (double click select the minus).  Now I start the audio the screen has the dials but no needles.  Plug in ear phone and listed to BS zero readings.

Now reach down and power up airplane.  Observe the bars on the DX8 indicating TM1000
is sending data, Look at iPhone see needles and also the light in the dongle showing that the STi application is working.   Ok I'm good to take off after a control check.

So after upgrading the STi software I did a bench test and this procedure worked fine(DX8 running 2.04).

I reluctantly upgrade the DX8 software yesterday, and today decide to test again.

You guessed it, No needles, but dongle is showing the light indicating that bind was established
Tried another model, same thing.  Dongle shows bind, no needles.  Turn off power in airplane and
the light in the dongle used to go out not now.  Extinguishes when the DX8 power is off.

So, the professional tester in me decides to try some other approaches and I found one that works.

Here's how"

Turn transmitter on as above, select model.

Clear out programs on the iPhone, and start the Application but LEAVE THE DONGLE OUT!
You will get a warning "Accessory Not Plugged in"  Let it fire up and select the model you want
THEN plug in the dongle.

Next apply power to the model.  You should see the bars on the DX8 jump in when the TM1K links and You should see the bars on the STi application the dongle should have the light showing bind, as well as the receiver light on solid in the airplane.

I think this might be an iPhone aberration of not knowing how to read the data from the STi dongle
until AFTER the program is run the first time.

I don't think this is over just yet, I need to do more testing.  It might be that I can return to my old sequence.  Will post any other findings.

Put this one in the Service log, cuz I'm sure others are going to have this same
phenomenon

Thanks for the quick response Andy..

KKKKFL
Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Aerocal

Franco
About the only thing I can suggest if your having trouble getting it to connect is without doing anything else simply pull the dongle out,wait a few seconds and then plug it back in.
When you shut the model power off it is normal for the led on the dongle to stay on until you shut the tx off.The STi uses the Tx signal as well as the signal from the TM to maintain its connection.
I may have a little trouble now and then getting an initial connection but mine is working fine with 2.06 on the D8.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM
JohnB96041

The only difference in my sequence: I turn on tx and select model I am going to fly. I then turn off tx. Get model ready but turned off. Start Sti Apps, then plug in the sti module. Turn on model, then turn on TX. Everything boots up and connects. Works for me every time.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:56 AM
Franco2fly

I tested several more times last night using both Nitro models as well as trusty Electrics that I have been flying over the past couple of months.

Baseline is that DX8 and iPhone have undergone software upgrades. DX8 went from 2.04 directly to 2.06 . The i phone was upgraded to the latest IOS, and the STi was upgraded. This is a recipie for disaster. I don't like doing SINGLE upgrades, and here we have 3 at once.

In last night's testing what I consistantly observed was that the STi dongle MOST times, but not all, would indicate the link (Bind) with the
internal light coming on. However, 3 out of 5 times, the needles did not show and the iPhone application was not communicating or
connecting with the Dongle correctly. In EVERY case the DX8 and the TM1000 linked up correctly. All receivers tested performed flawlessly,
as did their TM1000's (I have7 aircraft with Telemetry,EAA Bipe-Nitro,Rhapsody Biplane-Ele, Domino1-Nitro, Domino2-ele, RussiaStik-Ele, Big Bird-Nitro and Tricolori-Ele) As you can see there's a mix of electric and Nitro. All battries are fully charged. Some absolutely would not link, and I had to perform a "Re-bind" Others would show the dongle light coming on steady but no needles. Even the trick of unplugging and re-plugging would not get the application running correctly. It would take a re-bind and then once the needles showed on the STi screen, it would not necessarily return after a total shut down and re-start. However, if i had done a re-bind, then the removal of the dongle and re-insertion
would cause the needles to show. I'm referring to the needles showing, but actually, its probably more correct to say that the Bar indication
would appear on the STi display.

Fortunately, I have a "Y" connector on all receivers, but this is not a 100 % solution. Just last week I was bench testing and could not get the
TM1000 to go into bind despite the "Y" connector having the bind plug inserted. I have no idea as to what the problem was on this one. Ultimately, I had to resort to the stylus to get the TM1000 to enter bind mode.

I feel a little like a NASA guy preparing for a Moon shot launch, and it really should NOT be as fussy as this.

My guess, and that's all it is, says that the problem is really with the iPhone, since the DX8 and TM1000 Never miss a beat, except for that
curious "Y" connector failure to bind.

PS: my iPhone is a 3G, and It shows 2.2 gig memory avail.

KKKKFL
Old 10-11-2012, 03:13 AM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

Binding Telemetry with Power-Safe Receivers
Spektrum Power Safe receivers like the AR9100/ AR9110, AR12100/ AR12110
and the AR7100/ AR7110 require a special binding procedure when using
telemetry modules.
Step #1- Insert a bind plug in the bind port in the receiver.
Step #2- Insert the telemetry modules’ Data port lead into any un-used channel
in the receiver. (Note: If all channels are being used remove any servo lead from
the receiver to allow an open servo port to be accessed).
Step #3- Power the receiver through the EC3 connector. Note that all the
receivers (internal and remote) should be flashing indicating they are in bind
mode.
Step #4- Using a second battery, insert the battery plug into any un-used
channel in the receiver while pressing and holding the bind button on the side of
the telemetry module. This will place the telemetry module in bind mode.
Step #5- Make sure that the LED’s are flashing on all receivers and on the
telemetry module. Place the all channels (sticks and switches) on the transmitter
in the desired failsafe position. Now bind the transmitter to the system.
Step #6- Remove the second battery from the receiver, remove the bind plug
and move the telemetry module connector to the bind port to allow flight log data
to be displayed.
Note: Do not leave the secondary battery plugged in for more than a few minutes
as damage to the battery can occur.

Binding the Telemetry Module and Receiver (not power-safe receivers)
1. Using the Bind Stylus press and hold the bind button on the side of the TM1000 telemetry module.
2. While depressing the bind button, power the receiver. The main receiver, all attached remote
receivers and the TM1000 telemetry module should blink indicating the system is in bind mode.
3. With the stick and switches in the desired failsafe positions (normally low throttle and neutral
sticks), put the transmitter into bind mode.
4. The main screen displays the receiver type. After several seconds, the system connects and reverts
to the main screen.
5. From the main screen rotate the roller to access the telemetry screens and verify the flight log data
and receiver voltage displays.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Franco2fly

I neglected to mention, that after dinner last night I was able to install the GPS sensor.  Didn't do much testing apart from firing up the App and looking at the map.   Sure enough it had the plane located exactly in my upstairs shop...  I'm not sure just how to make the most of this sensor,
maybe others can chime in and report how they use it and what the benefits are.  It is pricey for a sensor, so its doubtful that I will purchase another.  It also seems to be pretty easily swapped from one aircraft to another, so long as you have easy access to one of the x-bus sensors with an open socket.

KKKKFL
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 AM
AndyKunz

Do you fly over corn or trees?

Andy
Old 10-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Franco2fly

Yes , I do... but the corn was just cut ...heheheh

Actually, to be more serious, one would need a second phone running gps since I'm not sure how easy it would be to be switching back and forth.  Still it would be better than nothing.

KKKKFL
Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 PM
JohnB96041

OK...I did a re-check of my system today. Everything came on and was linked like it should be. However, on the iphone with IOS 6, the latest firmware upgrade on the DX8, and latest Sti Apps loaded, I did finally notice that all things worked except there was no needle on the RPM. The Air Speed and Altitude needles were there. I took hold of the spinner and rocked the engine back and forth and the needle showed up with an RPM reading of around 4000. Not possible. Something not set right. I think it is possibly the number of poles I have set. I am using the Aircraft Telemetry RPM Sensor and Bracket, Item: SPMA9569. in my homemade bracket over the prop hub magnet. What should the poles be set to? Right now it is set to "1". Gear ratio is set to 1.00.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Franco2fly

poles are set correctly...  What I noticed is that they (STi programmers) have made some software changes that impact the readouts.  Its just a guess on my part, but if you watch the numbers rather than the needles, it looks like they are doing some sort of running average.  On my electrics I run optical sensors since I never really liked all the spurious readings that I saw with the electronic pick up.  The electronic pick ups are extremely sensitive to pole numbers.  Optical is straight forward.  My one complaint was that when you chopped power, the reading would go to 67,800 or some unbelievable number.  Now, I can gently back the throttle down, and the reading will follow,  If I do it quickly, I can still get 4 or 5 thousand as a reading, but for the most part killing the engine is just dropping the needle from the display.  I also noted in the past days testing that Altitude, seems to have the same "Average" being applied.  The read outs are slower and seem to be smoothed.  All this is just going on observation, and I have no real insight to the software other than the behavior I'm observing.  I wouldn't be surprised if Airspeed has the same algorithm applied.  This is just harder to bench test.

KKKKFL
Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 AM
AndyKunz

Actually they have two different algorithms, but yes both are filtered.

Andy
Old 10-13-2012, 12:28 PM
kiwijet

Hi Andy,

I notice in the latest software update there is facility to monitor output from Jetcat turbine ecu's I presume it will be egt,RPM,pump voltage etc.
Do you know if there are any plans to provide ecu data access from Gaspars (Xicoy)FADEC? this ecu has a data output port and is a very popular ecu.
Cheers.....Rene
Old 10-13-2012, 01:09 PM
AndyKunz

Sorry, I can neither confirm nor deny anything regarding potential future products.

But for general reference, has Gaspar approached Spektrum about supporting it? That's where it needs to start.

Of the 20+ jets in my club, easily 15 of them are JetCat.

Andy
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 AM
Franco2fly

Here's an update on the GPS sensor;
First, I'm not one to follow the crowd, and when one goes to our flying field up and down the flght  line there are nothing but Extra 300's Sukoi's, or Yak's.  All conventional gear look-alikes.  Now our field does have a very nice grass runway, but, come on man anybody heard of trike gear?

So, I took a perfectly nice Diamante, and did my magic.

Eflight retracts, flaps, electronic read out under the canopy+ satellite receiver, problem has been that although this has been finished for 6 months, I've been reluctant to fly it since the wing is very thin.  But, with the new GPS sensor installed, I had to fly it this weekend, and WOW what a beauty.  Gear up, it whistles along at 60 mph using 3/4 throttle. (Eflight 25 and 14.7v 3300mah pak) Back off to half throttle and it still clips at 45mph... aint telemetry great. Half flaps and you get silky smooth touch downs.

So how bout that GPS...  While flying totally useless, however once on the ground and doing a re-play, very useful.  I had no idea that I was remaining inside the flying field boundaries so well.  Especially, on the my landings, I thought I was exceeding the boundaries, but the GPS proved otherwise.  The program displays little arrows in about half second updates.  Its very nicely done.  That's on the plus side, for the pureist however, the altitude readout from GPS is way way off... and seems to jump all over the place.  Might be that some smoothing is needed here.

I'm pretty happy with the sensor, but it is pricey for what you get. I plan on bouncing GPS between planes and should have a better idea of its utility with more flights.

KKKKFL
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 AM
AndyKunz

GPS altitude is notorious for being way off. That's why the govt doesn't even use it.

Andy
Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 AM
Franco2fly

I think that the latest STi software did a good job of smoothing the Altitude read-outs, plus as a user, I have found that placing the sensor in a cannister, (35mm or small pill capsule) and placing a skinny inlet via golden rod tube outside the fuselage helped.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:09 PM
JohnB96041

Having eye surgery. Will be back in about a week. Can not do any more testing on my airplane until Doc gives the all clear (pun). Left eye is really clear, but right eye has not been worked on so vision is bad unless I close my right eye.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Aerocal

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

Having eye surgery. Will be back in about a week. Can not do any more testing on my airplane until Doc gives the all clear (pun). Left eye is really clear, but right eye has not been worked on so vision is bad unless I close my right eye.
Best wishes for a speedy resolve John.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 AM
Franco2fly

Check out this thread for some in-flight shots of two of my telemetered birds. 

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...76098&page=699

Getting good results out of the GPS sensor that's mounted in the TriColori (retracts bird with twisted nose gear - Blue Thread locker should take care of this problem, along with front/back flat spots on strut)

For those that might ask "Why GPS"  you can see where you are....  The nice thing about GPS is doing a re-play and ensureing that all flight ops are inside your designated flying area.  I really thought I was outside or over the boundaries when doing down-wind and base legs, Turns out I have room to extend the down wind.  In replay, it shows a little airplane and give one second updates.  I may find more utility to this sensor as I use it more.  For now I will just "Easter-Egg" the sensor between planes, since it's a little pricey.

KKKKFL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.