Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

"For those that might ask "Why GPS" you can see where you are.... "

I have been using the altimiter, tach, voltage and have been impressed. The altimeter reading are a bit whacky by my estimates - even with using the sensor inside a pill bottle. My question is related to GPS sensor. Ifly over a large corn field and say the plane goes down. For the sake of arguement, the electronics are destroyed. Would my radio or iPhone be able to help located the wreckage? I notice that the telemetry stats "disapear" from the radio once you power down. What would my iPhone read? Would Ibe able to get the last known location? Is the coordinates available in such a way I could perhaps put them into the iPhone Map application to guide me to the plane? Is the map 2 dimensional? I've seen some mapping programs that would build a 3D version of a flight. Is the Spektrum capable of such? Thank you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The map looks just like a Google Satellite shot you get when you use their maps.  And even though you did a "greased footlocker" drop from 300 feet and totally destroyed, I mean crash and smoking hole in the ground.  That would not alter the file that the iPhone has stored in the STi GPS file.  What you would see is what I see when I turn on my STi application sitting in my bed.   Little dots where you first turn on the transmitter/receiver  (TM1K) my dots showing plane taxi'ing out , take off , flight path of the flight from take off to landing and finally in a non-crash scenario the dots back to the sheds.

Here's the thing, lets say you do go down in the middle of the corn field.  You could do a replay, and see where it did its final dive, but now you need to get through the corn field to that spot.  What I would need is to have the STi GPS picture on one iPhone, and another iPhone to navigate to the exact spot in the field.

A little more complicated that you might initially think, but I don't believe you can do split screens on an iPhone yet.

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"What I would need is to have the STi GPS picture on one iPhone, and another iPhone to navigate to the exact spot in the field."
    Ok. That's interesting. Thanks. Could it be possible to copy the coordinates out of STI interface display and input them into the iPhone maps program. And then, ask it to "get directions"?

Would you be so kind as to attach a sample telemetry file to this post? That way, I could load it onto my phone and poke around. Thank you so very much.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll give it a shot tonite when I get back home... at work we cannot bring phones in.  I think there's an option to send the telemetry file to an e-mail address.  You would need to get the file into your iPhone,  then you would use the STi application and I think you can open the file by selecting re-play.  Once in replay mode you would select the compass icon and the map along with the track should show.

All of this is juat a guess, but I can give it a shot....  just send me an email to franco4mail@gmail.com and I'll try and do a reply with the file as an attachment.

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That would be great. I've tried it just once but what you have to do is attach the file to an email. Once the email is on your phone you are give the chance to open the file and it defaults to the app. You can send the file to your work email and save the file as a loose file (and attach to this post as an example. But, I'll send you an email to make things easier. Thank you so very much.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The thing about GPS is you get to re-live the flight over and over, and flying my Tri-Colori with GPS allowed this.  I have a bug or two that still remain, but its a HOOT to fly.

Sure wish we had a paved runway.

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Many of the devices are good for airplane set up such as prop selection, carb adjust ,etc .but I don't think that most of them are usefull for actually flying the plane
    unless it if for fpv or logging altitude and such for gliders. But they sure are fun too play with. And that is really what is cool. I bought a spectrum set up but
    I am hearing impaired so I needed something to tell me when I had a low battery or low fuel. At the time there was nothing available. I found some open source
    software called 9x and a cheap transmitter that would run it and hacked my own system and it became a hobby in and of itself . I have it set up with a haptic feedback that vibrates my transmitter when I am low on fuel or volts and that is perfect for my needs. The other sensers are good for prop selection and adjusting carbs on the ground but it is all good fun. It is
    interesting to see the problems and solutions that you guys have came up with....Good on Ya.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a question for you Telemetry experts.
    I'm going to install a gas DLE 20 after removing the SuperTiger .91 which has the Hall effect RPM sensor on the backplate.

OK so I still want RPM but the question is how to get it. Do I just move the Current RPM sensor from the SuperTiger and find a way to attach to the crank (I think the Carb is in the way) or do I use the magnetic pick up which senses a small magnet in the collar behind the prop? This goes to the ignition system, and the booklet says that a "Y" can be used do drive a Futaba digital RPM read out.

I'm sure someone has been down this path already.
    Here's the actual engine, supposedly the ignition system is a dupe of the DLE 20
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15381

Pictures would be nice.

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try Flying Giants, Franco.

Andy
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063
    Spektrum Development Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This post shows what works VERYGOOD for me with a stock DLE-20 and ignition. YMMV.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11128735

If the link doesn't take to to the correct post just go to #21.

There are legit concerns about adding another point of failure by inserting a "Y" connection in the ignition timing pickup line and possible ground loop and issues but so far so good.

Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does the other end plug into the Signal lead of RPM on the TM1K  ?

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

Does the other end plug into the Signal lead of RPM on the TM1K ?

KKKKFL

Yes. It provides a much better RPM reading than the RCXL tach.

I also like that I can read the RPM with the throttle wide open and the prop "unloading" in motion. I'm going to make another lead to add it to a second plane this weekend.

Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was successful getting the "Y" connection and the RCG-20 ignition system to read on the DX-8.  It required using both the signal lead, and the black ground lead.  I've posted complete descriptions over in this thread:

See post #32

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._2/key_/tm.htm

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a silly question...  I can't remember if I needed to do anything to the DX8 WRT a particular plane when I add the GPS sensor.  I'm thinking of moving the sensor between planes.  I don't recall any slot assignment for GPS on the DX8.  For that matter, I haven't found GPS to be particularly useful since the corn has all been mowed down.  Pretty much I just use if for replay of a flight,

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Franco,

All you need to do is install the GPS, power up the TM1000 so it knows to talk to it, select GPS in the transmitter on a slot (you may want to set your time zone depending on which TX you use), and go fly.

Andy
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok so do I need to use the same slot I used on the previous aircraft?  Or does it matter if I assigne a different slot for the new airplane?  I basically want to be able to bounce the GPS between several models.

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Franco
    No.It can be assigned to any of the open slots in the Telemetry menu.You dont have to swap stuff around in the menu if you add the GPS.Just enable/select it on the next open position.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can even leave the screen enabled with the GPS out. You'll see it tell you invalid data, but you can just ignore it and fly.
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it were not for the STi data being audio, I would probably have little use for telemetry.  While flying I cannot bring myself to take my eyes off the plane.  I'll have to look at the GPS data while the plane is hanging in the shop and I'm sitting at the bench.

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I moved the GPS unit to my newest 20cc plane and after assigning a slot for it saw that it read in the house.  Pretty impressive unit.  But as always, one success breeds another question.  I did use a different slot for the Zodiac, slot one was open.  However, while scrolling through the various slot assignment options I saw something labeled "P-Box"  What the "H" "E" double hockey sticks is a p-box and can I exist on this planet without one?  There were a couple other options in the window, but I cannot recall what they were.  Is there a listing somewhere for the potential slot assignments.  I couldn't find a list in the manual, and had no luck when I google DX8 Slot assignments.

Thanks

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can put ANY device in ANY slot.

PBox is PowerBox, a German company that makes redundant power supplies for receivers (among other stuff).

Andy
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Andy,
    Yup you are correct sir... on the any slot will do that is.. I have one plane with Gps on the number 6 slot, works fine, and moved the sensor from that plane to the newest daily flyer where the GPS is in slot 1. Works just fine. It was when assigning GPS to slot 1 that I saw P-box and was ready to head to the local hobby shop to buy one... just didn't know what to buy.. (just joking, good thing the wife doesn't read this forum).
    I'm guessing that enabling "P-Box" is a way to monitor the secondary power supply. It's nowhere to be found in the manual.

I know you're reluctant to talk or give any information about upcoming products, but I'm curious if anyone has ever asked for the capability of the DX8 transmitter to dump flight data to the SD card? Once there, at least at present, it would be usless without some corresponding software to read the data on one's PC. And, you would run the risk of enfringing on STi capabilities. Just seems someone ought to be thinking of a path to make more use of collected data. Is anybody even working in this area? I know there's something called data recorder, but have no idea how this feature works.

Thanks for any embellishments.

KKKKFL

PS. We had nearly 60 degree wx on Friday, no wind and good flying... and that's just south of the Mason Dixon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Franco
    Already done.In your Telemetry menu go all the way to the end where it says Settings.Click that and it will open a menu to enable logging and a switch to turn it off and on.The .tlm(data) files will be logged to the SD card.Then you put the card in a PC with a reader and e-mail the file to yourself.Though I havent tried it you can also use a dropbox or other file swapping app that you can access with your iDevice.Then you open the mail or file app with your iDevice and when you click on the file/attachment it will give you the option to "Open with STi" and the STi app will grab it and create a model type file on the Models screen named e-mail attachments and you can click that and access the imported logs the same way you would the ones created in the iDevice itself.The dongle does not need to be attached to do this.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

I'm guessing that enabling ''P-Box'' is a way to monitor the secondary power supply.* It's nowhere to be found in the manual.
    And it will likely stay that way - the other add-on telemetry sensors aren't explained there either, but they all come with instructions. We don't make PowerBox - PowerBox does.

Andy
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks,
    I'll have to give it a shot.   I ran a plane yesterday without the iPhone handy. If I understand your directions (and If I was smart enough to have the data enabled to go to the card) I should be able to open the file on my iMac from the card, send it to my phone, and then open and see the stuff once the dongle is plugged in.

KKKKFL

Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast