Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Franco
    I think I understood what you were saying.Yes that is basically the way to do it.Whatever way you get it from the machine with the card reader to your phone should work.I do by sending the file as an attachment to myself and then open the mail and click on the attachment.A dialog popup will open with the option to open with STi.Tap on that button and it should actually open the STi app directly to the file page in the STi app to choose the flight to open the graph page.Its not necessary to have the dongle attached when you do this.Its kind of designed so that users without a dongle can still read logfiles from their radios without having to obtain the dongle.The dongle is only needed to get the telemetry directly from a TM to the iDevice.
    Be aware that the time scaling of a logfile sent directly from a radio may be off.There are a few little bugs with imported logfiles that will likely get sorted with an update real soon.

Dont hesitate to ask more questions if you run into trouble.We should be able to get it sorted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You don't need the dongle plugged in to read the file.

That allows non-TR1000-owners to view their files if all they have is a DX8 and an iPhone.

Andy
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063
    Spektrum Development Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmmm.  So following your logic, I should prolly download the STi app to the wife's iPad, then send my files via email to a web mail account that I can get to from the iPad, and sit in luxury on the couch and re-live a Saturday's flight.

One thing that I am curious about having not tried any of the above.  If I have the file for Lets say model Zodiac, for 11/24/12 @ 1342;50  (I think that's the naming convention for files in the STi)  will the file name be the same when it comes off the DX8 for that same exact time?

I'm sure I will find out first time I give it a shot.

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It should be very close.

The log files contain all the received raw telemetry data. The key word there is "received." It's very possible that one device will receive data that the other misses.

Andy
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One thing that is not apparent is that when you go into System set-up and assign the slots, it is for the particular model that was previously selected.  Since I have 7 or 8 models with Telemetry, I'll have to go to that back telemetry  page having first selected the appropriate model and enable the SD card recording for each.  I picked "Start recording when throttle > 10%"  but there were other options.  Sure hope the Wx cooperates so I can get a couple different birds in the air and compare the data at a later date.

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seems we've had a bit of a lull in the thread so I'm gonna toss some bait in the water.

Has anybody else noticed that the Altimeter Sensor (which is extremely sensitive) give much better readings if encapsulated and then fed by a slender tube preferable a foot long?

I have made this change to each of my models now and can report that the "Read-outs" seem to be much better than those I got when the sensor was just taped to the inner wall of the fuselage. At first I was taking care to poke the tubing into the wings, but I don't see a lot of difference between "In the wing" and "to the back of the Plane"..

Just wondering if others are seeing similar results.

(by encapsulated, I mean place the sensor in a airtight container like a 35mm can or small Pill container with a fine tube as the only air intake - I seal the container with a heavy dose of Silicon sealant)
    KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, and I think I explained why when I told you to try this. The heli guys were the first to need it.

Andy
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Andy,
    Just thought it worth mentioning for our aircraft bretheren.

Now on to another of your favorite topics... Binding...

Nice weather here in Northern Virginia, so we were all able to get out of the clubhouse and do some flying on Saturday. I started with my favorite Electric, and noticed that on powerup, I had no Telemetry bars on the DX8 and none obviously, on the STi iPhone app. I've seen this several times now, and the fix usually is to power off and try again. I did this 3 times with no success, but on the 4th try, BINGO, bars on the DX8 and same on the IPhone app, needles and all. So off into the wild blue... Next I flew a new bird, I had initialized and bound earlier in the morning, and everything functioned with the first flip of the switch. HOWEVER, the 3 plane, my big Gasser, did not show Telemetry when first fired up. I tried the Power cycle thing a dozen times. This time, the DX8 showed Telemetry, but I could not get the bars to show on the iPhone. After 12 tries, I tossed the phone in the back of the car, and just put a flight on the bird. After my blood pressure came back down, I unbuttoned the wing, pulled the guts out to where I could see the TM1K and the receiver, fiddled around pulling wires until I found my "Y" connector that I ALWAYS include for such instances, jammed in a bind plug, seth the STI in bind mode, and re-bound everything. It all stayed bound for the rest of the day.

So, my question is this, Am I the only one that sees these loss of Bind occur on a once a month basis? What could I be doing that causes this? How about it occurs on odd numbered Saturdays? And the really curious one is the Power on off technique that sometimes works.

Thanks
    Once bound had some magnificent flights... Here's touch down with flaps deployed

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Franco
    I kind of think Andy would prefer to toss the iPhone in the river.
    I know we discussed it before but did you remember to double click the home button and kill all the recently used app processes? Im not trying to start another argument about whether or not this makes a difference but Ive generally found that when Im getting reliability issues this seems to clear them up.I have had a few isolated times where the dang thing simply refused to connect and I went ahead and rebound to clear it up.Except for a few isolated times doing this alone cures my issue.Im not convinced this is an issue with the STi dongle specifically.I tend to think its something to do with the logic/memory or lack of it within the apple device.
    Just a thought.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also.I really hope the iDevice app guy (not Andy) will be able to get with the program and fix the time scaling issue for graphing tlm files imported from a Tx.That really is kind of a PITA.Possibly there is a way to tweak the app a bit to help with the intermittent connectivity.I have noticed that when I personally have an issue like this and I look at the diagnostic logs on my iDevice I usually see a LowMemory report.This is what led me to think it has more to do with the device Memory/CPU use than the app/dongle itself.
    Im guessing here but I figure its probably a fine line trying to balance the functionality of the system with the resources available in the main unit(iDevice).Im sure its alot more difficult than one might think at a glance.I really like mine and it generally works very well.
    I guess the other option would be to go the Luddite route and return to control line.There may come a day but Im not quite prepared to go there yet.I can live with a few hiccups for now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rodger on killing all other apps.
    That is part of my "I've arrived at the field" procedure.

Its curious that power cycle sometimes works and other times its No go.... I know I put that guess in there about odd days of the week, but actually, I am suspicious of the receiver. I know the one that did not respond at all is an older 6 ch model. I might just swap it out and see what happens. I really do not know what the correlation between RX and TM1K actually is. The telemetry module certainly derives power from the Bind/data port, but just what data is being exchanged? I once tried a TM1K with a NON-Spektrum radio, and while it did work, I wasn't comfortable actually flying that set up. Last weekend, I flew the first plane, and the Dongle, and idevice worked fine.... Then I fired up the second plane... again no issues. Finally, I went to the 3rd bird, and it refused to bind.. This sequence suggests to me that it was not the Apple iPhone, since it worked for the first two... Now the first one did hiccup... it was on the 4th power cycle that bingo everything worked, HOWEVER, the first one I was getting the bars on the DX8 so that tells me that the TM1000 in that plane was trying to talk, but something in the interaction was not making it into the iPhone. Fourth try and it worked. Second plane I had tried in the morning before leaving for the field, so it had sync'ed up actually first. Then the problems with the last bird... I just have too many variables..... Old stuff new stuff, different sensors, the only thing common is the 3rd gen iPhone and the STi dongle with its associated S/W.

We need a poll to see how many of us see the Bind Drop out besides you and me, and I'm not that certain you're seeing the same problem that I see.. I might be the only one on the planet...

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am still using the AR8000 with the TM1000 and all available telemetry devices installed. I have not experienced a drop of the bind with the DX8 or the TM1000. Must be my luck. How are you powering up your system? Receiver first, then TX or TX and then Rec? That could be the difference.
    John
    AMA 615755

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have bound my TM only 1 time in each of my 2 planes that I have it installed. However, I have tried to get my iPhone to listen to the Telemetry module about a 1000 times. Ireally do hope this mystery gets solved. I believe I have tried every combination possible of power, plugging, removing plug etc. I do close all other apps on my iPhone. I even made a check list and saved it as a note on my iPhone. (Rx, Transmitter, iPhone) But, it was not always repeatable. Baffled.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tarcur,

One thing that I have found as an imperative is the bind process. Also the start up sequence... Once bound, I start the transmitter let it sequence all the way through, Now turn on the plane, observe the bars for telemetry, on the DX8, last start the iPhone, and watch for the bars there.

Binding I also have a sequence..... Start by putting the Rx in bind mode(insert plug this is where a "Y" connector comes in handy. one end to the TM1K the other to bind/data, and the last leg I have floating labeled Bind since its better than constantly digging everything out) watch the flashing lights on Rx and the TM1000(on some occasions the "Y" hasn't worked, don't ask me why), next press the bind option on the STi application for the aircraft.... the light on the dongle is really tiny but you should see it flashing. now all three items are flashing... Hold the bind button on the DX and fire it up... usually the light goes steady on the STi first, followed by the TM, and closely the RX light ALL NEED TO BE IN STEADY solid STATE... on many occasions, not all bind correctly in which case I power everything off and start over. Max needed so far is about 4 tries.

Its important to watch all three for that light condition as well as paying attention to the Bars on the Dx8 and the iPhone app... Once all is sync'ed up I shut down the Receiver then the iPhone bailing all the way out even sometimes killing the app, lastly I shut off the transmitter.

Now I remove the bind plug... Turn on the DX8, then the receiver, then I have a new little gimmick... I remove the dongle. I select the App and then select the model, as it loads you get a warning that the dongle is not plugged in, at this precise moment I plug the dongle in....

For some reason, I get fairly consistent results like this, however it is not bullet proof.... This weekend case in point.

Give these directions a shot and post your results... Maybe as a group we can unravel the mystery..

PS for Andy, I know some of my steps may not be required, consider them as coming from my Catholic boyhood days where we were taught to genuflect.... hehehehe

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aha.What your saying does have a kind of familiar ring to it now that I think about it more.When you said Model1 Model2 then Model3 it kind of clicked.I was thinking before that its more likely some kind of glitch in the Modelmatch than it is a loss of bind situation.There should not be any way to really lose a bind once the data is stored.IIRC when I have had a repeated connecting issue it was after I switched models mostly.I have jinked back and forth between models in the app and had it decide to connect all of a sudden.Its never reliably repeatable so its hard to pin down exactly what is happening.
    I think Andy is smarter than any of us by refusing to attempt to interface with iOS.
    I laughed when you said "Every other Saturday".Ive found myself tossing back it my pocket while mumbling something about the "time of the month".This is true of several apps I use and not just the STi.I think the person that coined the phrase "An apple a day" never dreamed of how it may be interpreted in this day and age.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Last weekend  was curious in that model1 fired up right from the "git-go" no bars on the DX8...  then 4 power cycles and I get the bars... turn on the iPhone and good to go...  Model 3 about an hour later, No bars on Dx8 at first, power cycles I get the bars on the 8 ... but no STi connection,  Total re-bind of all devices required in the sequence I outlined above.  just where the link information becomes corrupted, I cannot tell without some error tracing software.  It does seem that something is not getting cleared out, Next time I see this maybe doing a power cycle on the iPhone would tell me something...

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andy,
    I'm having problems with the DX8 and AR8000 too. I"m going to try to encourage people to use words that distinguish between binding (using the binding plug) and power-up sync. (PUS) ha ha. The reason is, as I read all the posts, I find myself wondering what people really mean when they say "bind". Anyway, a friend at work has a DX8, and so do I. His Great Planes Ryan PUS is unreliable. One must try several times to get PUS to work. The plane powers up with the control surfaces at crazy angles. It takes 4 or 5 tries to get a good PUS.

I'm having the exact same problem with my P47 Thunderbolt (ESM) at home. None of these systems are using telemetry at all. I don't think rebinding is the issue, because eventually it all works. Must say, though, it's worrisome to actually fly after problems getting PUS. But there hasn't been any problems.

Andy, have you communicated any of this to Spektrum? Is the PUS issue acknowledged by the programming folks? Are others reporting the issue? Have there been any crashes? Is a fix being worked on? My Futaba systems never have any problem with PUS. Please let us know. Thanks! This isn't just a telemetry issue.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have never experienced the PUS problem with either the DX7 or the DX8. On the DX8, are you running the latest firmware? Which TX battery are you using and is it fully charged? Just curious
    John
    AMA 615755

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Now I remove the bind plug... Turn on the DX8, then the receiver, then I have a new little gimmick... I remove the dongle. I select the App and then select the model, as it loads you get a warning that the dongle is not plugged in, at this precise moment I plug the dongle in....

For some reason, I get fairly consistent results like this, however it is not bullet proof.... This weekend case in point."

I'd say my binding procedure is the same. I've never had to rebind it once in either plane. Mostly, my cure is to reinsert the dongle into the iPhone. Or, repeat the power up cycle. The previous thread makes a very good point about model matching. I primarily fly 2 planes and alternate between each flight.

Once I do have it working then it doesn't seem to be an issue if I want to make another flight with the SAME plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As to what "Pull up Now" indicates and for clarity, when I say "Bind"  I mean re-insert plug, and go through the Press Tx  button and turn power on.

I almost ALWAYS start the day with RussiaStik, an electric, then go to a Nitro... lately the Sport 40, then to another Nitro (sometimes) Telemaster, then to the Gasser Zodiac.  Sometimes I'll haul along another electric, so I'm bouncing between 3 or 4 airplanes at a minimum.  There's three other birds, two electric, and one Nitro, that I can alternate as well.  Maybe it is this number of models that is at the core of my problem.  I never leave the house with a bird that has not been fully charged the night before, so I discount Power as my potential problem.

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Pull Up Now!

Andy,
    I'm having problems with the DX8 and AR8000 too. I''m going to try to encourage people to use words that distinguish between binding (using the binding plug) and power-up sync. (PUS) ha ha. The reason is, as I read all the posts, I find myself wondering what people really mean when they say ''bind''. Anyway, a friend at work has a DX8, and so do I. His Great Planes Ryan PUS is unreliable. One must try several times to get PUS to work. The plane powers up with the control surfaces at crazy angles. It takes 4 or 5 tries to get a good PUS.

I'm having the exact same problem with my P47 Thunderbolt (ESM) at home. None of these systems are using telemetry at all. I don't think rebinding is the issue, because eventually it all works. Must say, though, it's worrisome to actually fly after problems getting PUS. But there hasn't been any problems.

Andy, have you communicated any of this to Spektrum? Is the PUS issue acknowledged by the programming folks? Are others reporting the issue? Have there been any crashes? Is a fix being worked on? My Futaba systems never have any problem with PUS. Please let us know. Thanks! This isn't just a telemetry issue.
    it is frustrating when people use the term Binding when referring to Connecting or Linking, etc.. If you try to correct them, they get offended or just don't think it is important. It definitely is confusing.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like the Power up Sync term he invented... and Bind meaning insert the plug...  So in describing my problem, I had 3 or 4 attempts at PUS, before a successful link was established with TM1K sending (bars visible) data to the DX8...  On the first model, this resulted in good data being received at the DX8 and the STi dongle.  On the 3rd model, I could NEVER achieve a good reception or link between the TM1K and the STi despite getting the bars and good link with the DX8.  Hence I  resorted to doing a "Full up" re-bind where the plug was inserted in the plane and the STI "bind" option was selected before Powering up the transmitter while depressing the Bind button.

Now there can be no confusion...

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a remote thought here. I once had a smartphone that would run apps intermittently. After a few days, the apps would not work. If I shut off the phone to clear the memory, the apps would start working again. I ended up adding more memory to the phone. After I did that, I did not have any more problems with any apps. The problems described above sounds just like the old Apple II's inability to fully clear it own memory. After running several programs, things got squirrelly. Again, ithis is just a thought.

Sprint, P-90rxi, DX9
    AW 35% Extra, DLE 111, DX8
    AW Checkmate, DLE 55,
    Topflite 20% P-40, DLE 55
    3 Helis & 2 PA Electrics
    N8AGS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Len Todd

Just a remote thought here. I once had a smartphone that would run apps intermittently. After a few days, the apps would not work. If I shut off the phone to clear the memory, the apps would start working again. I ended up adding more memory to the phone. After I did that, I did not have any more problems with any apps. The problems described above sounds just like the old Apple II's inability to fully clear it own memory. After running several programs, things got squirrelly. Again, ithis is just a thought.

Apps on Smartphones run in the Internal Memory of the phone. That cannot be updated unless you buy a phone with more Internal Memory. I don't think the removable memory card has any effect on Apps ability to run properly.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for that tip... It has been noted, and although it is now routine practice to quit everything as a precaution, I still see this problem.  I suppose I could go one step further and totally power off the phone.  I'm not certain the problem is with the phone...  Why for instance does the DX8 not recognize the TM1k data without some number of power cycles...  It might be that there are TWO problems, one with the DX and TM and another related to the STi.  These problems might cross tracks and be inter-related.

In my first example from last Saturday, the Power cycle technique eventually sync'ed up everything.  On the Third model, nothing worked short of total re-bind of everything.

What's required is some "Error Trap" development software that is running when the condition occurrs.  Purely something that the developer has and probably not released to the public.

KKKKFL

Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast