Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

help!!!
my spektrum telemetry stopped working.
i have not even turned engine on or anything.
today, i went with my transmitter and iPhone, that has the interface on it, turned on the receiver, and no signal.
i then did a rebind.  i turned off transmitter, receiver, then
i pushed in bind, meanwhile, i hit bind on iPhone app, then turned on the transmitter while pressing the button behind transmitter, and then STi interface stopped blinking, yet lights are not on on the telemetry module, and the iphone spektrum app is showing 0 for everything.

anyone have any thoughts?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 PM
orthobird

very strange, now it works, even the GPS.  on my iphone, i can see my house, LOL, except, now the RPM does not work!!

very frustrating.  i did do the y split connector for binding, as mentioned in this thread, so i do not have to use the small little pusher.

what else can i do.

i did bind about 10 times, before everything was up working, except RPM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM
orthobird

very strange, just went back to check it again, and it does not work!!!
Hmm

am i supposed to rebind each time i turn it on?

this was sequence:

turn on transmitter, turn or receiver, then turn on Sti  on my iphone.

now nothing works and no lights are on , on the telemetry module???

please help
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 AM
Aerocal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like after you got it going you had a failure to connect issue and attempted rebind and that failed.It can be a bit tricky when you get all 3 units in fastblink ready to bind.Orientation of the Tx and TR module is kind of important sometimes.The Rx and TM may bind but not the TR. Try moving stuff around a little.Keep the Tx a bit farther from the Rx/TM and a bit closer to the STi.You need to have all 3 (Rx/TM/TR) with a solid led before you proceed.Once they re all bound they should stay bound.Just because one of the components wont connect when its powered on normally doesnt mean it has "lost bind".You have "failure to connect" at this point.In your case you initiated a rebind and that failed so you are probably in fact "unbound".
Mess with your orientations/antenna angles during bind and make sure your letting go of the bind button as soon as the fastblinks stop.Ive had a few setups that were just stubborn for one reason of another.Once you get it bound and you have a "failure to connect" issue there are ways to make that more reliable too.Franco and I discussed the whole stubborn connecting thing a few pages
back.The iDevices IMO can be rather temperamental sometimes.The faster you try to pop back and forth when its lazy the more it seems to fight back.Did you clear all your recently used apps to make sure the memory is freed up and not just inactive? Ive found that makes the biggest difference of all.
If you cant get the TR to bind try to reload the app.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 AM
Franco2fly

I found Aerocal's tip of shutting down apps prior to firing up the STi to be beneficial. You double click and across the bottom the apps show with little minus signs. Touch each minus to drop off the apps. Having done this give it a minute to settle out.

Once you have everything bound properly, the sequence that I find works best is to fire up the DX8 first. Have the model that you are going to use already selected on the STi so that when you start the App, it is going to be on the bird you're going to fly. DO NOT have the App running initially. OK so the STi app is not yet running lets move over to the plane and transmitter. With the DX8 on, turn on the model you are going to fly... watch for the bars to appear in the top left corner of the DX8... This indicates that the TM1k and the DX8 are communicating. If you don't see the bars on the DX8, power off the model wait a second and then re-try. Once you see the bars in the left corner you are ready to connect the iPhone/STi.

The process I use that gives the best results is to turn on the App WITHOUT the dongle connected. This requires some timing and accute observation, but once the STi app starts have the dongle unplugged butready to plug in when the "! Device Not connected" alert shows. As soon as this flashes up plug in the Dongle. I might have to make a video showing this process, but it seems to work more often than not.

I test all sensors once I get the iPhone display showing needles. I use a soda straw over the airspeed pitot tube watching for needle movement with a short puff on the straw. RPM I watch for movement when I spin the motor with the starter. Temp I grab with my hand and watch for a change. If any corresponding needle does not move, I have always found the problem to be in the tiny white connectors. Unplug and re plug to cure.

KKKKFL

Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 AM
orthobird

thank you for the advice. sounds like i am close to getting it, just need to keep playing with it, this time following both of your advice.
when i get home today, i will take pictures to show you my set up.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM
czorzella

Even though you follow these procedures, be aware that without any apparent reason, from time to time, telemetry modules (both TM1000 and TM1100) may lose its binding with the transmitter and / or with the STi Telemetry Interface (SPMTR1000).

I speak for myself since it happens with some of my 8 TMs. My radio is a Spektrum DX18 AirWare Version 1.03 (EN/DE/FR)

ORIGINAL: orthobird

thank you for the advice. sounds like i am close to getting it, just need to keep playing with it, this time following both of your advice.
when i get home today, i will take pictures to show you my set up.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: czorzella

Even though you follow these procedures, be aware that without any apparent reason, from time to time, telemetry modules (both TM1000 and TM1100) may lose its binding with the transmitter and / or with the STi Telemetry Interface (SPMTR1000).

I speak for myself since it happens with some of my 8 TMs. My radio is a Spektrum DX18 AirWare Version 1.03 (EN/DE/FR)
I have hundreds of flights with multiple TM1000's and not once has it "unbound" itself. It works just like a receiver for binding - it doesn't forget the old GUID until it has a new one learned.

It is possible to fly out of range and have the telemetry module need to re-connect, but it does that instantly. Never once un-bound, though.

Andy
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Franco2fly

I don't doubt Andy's experience for a second, however, I have had the DX8 and a TM1000 just refuse to communicate.  Usually, I can power off the receiver/TM and power up a few seconds later and like magic, the bar reading shows in the upper left corner of the DX8 screen.  I think in the last 6 weeks of the flying season here in Northern Va. I only had one occassion where despite numerous power cycles, I just couldn't get the two devices to work.  Whether the GUID was lost or corrupt, I haven't a clue, but the only way I was able to recover was to re-bind.

KKKKFL
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM
czorzella

This describes exactly what I was talking about!

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

I don't doubt Andy's experience for a second, however, I have had the DX8 and a TM1000 just refuse to communicate. Usually, I can power off the receiver/TM and power up a few seconds later and like magic, the bar reading shows in the upper left corner of the DX8 screen. I think in the last 6 weeks of the flying season here in Northern Va. I only had one occassion where despite numerous power cycles, I just couldn't get the two devices to work. Whether the GUID was lost or corrupt, I haven't a clue, but the only way I was able to recover was to re-bind.

KKKKFL
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM
orthobird

do i need to be outdoors to test it?
do you think being indoors can affect it?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 AM
czorzella

<xml><o:OfficeDocumentSettings><o:AllowPNG /></o:OfficeDocumentSettings></xml>

For the binding and / or the connecting process, the answer is No. It really doen't matter if you are outdoors or indoors.

For testing the GPS the answer is Yes. You must be outdoors to receive proper signal from satellites

Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Franco2fly

Remember that I said it happened ONCE in the last 6 weeks of flying season...  and that was outside.  I think that some of my earlier "No Hook up"  situations were due to being in the shop where I would attempt binding from 6 inches away.  I also did not understand the STi very well.  Now as a matter of habit, I discard all previously running apps before getting out of the car at the flying field.  I'm not sure why I get consistant good results by not plugging in the Dongle until the Alert flashes, And I certainly pay closer attention to the signal bars that show in the corner of the DX8.  Much of this is learning the idiosyncracies.

All of these little extra efforts seem to greatly minimize my problems.  As I write this I also recall one other difference.  Earlier in the season I was taking 4 aircraft (all with Telemetry) to the field.  Towards the end of the season as I switched to Gas Aircraft, just Onnocounta, the size I would only take 2 aircraft.  Switching between 4 is quite different to switching between 2.

KKKKFL
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM
orthobird

bad news, nothing works.  i have removed the app, reloaded it.
have rebound it with short duration pressing of transmitter button.
standing 5 feet away from TM. 
to bind, i insert bind clip into y harness, then turn on receiver
then i hit bind on model of sti-iphone app
then turn on transmitter.

did that 4 times

no luck
Old 01-03-2013, 03:27 PM
orthobird

here is the temp sensor and the rpm sensor, going into fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10225.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1836485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81467.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1836486  
Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 PM
orthobird

the tm unit and the gps sensor are double side tape to top of fuselage
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17083.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1836489   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43720.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1836490  
Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM
czorzella

Orthobird

You have to bind both the receiver and the sti at the same time.

Try the following:

1) put the TMin bind mode (look for blinking leds in TM, RX and Satellites)
2)put the sti-iphone in bind mode (look for blinking led in STI)
3) turn on the transmitter and bind (once bind is complete, you will notice that all leds will stop blinking)

bad news, nothing works. i have removed the app, reloaded it.
did that 4 times
no luck
Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM
JohnB96041

bad news, nothing works. i have removed the app, reloaded it.

did that 4 times

no luck
5 feet may be a little far. Try a little closer. How do you have the bind plug installed? Also, with everything turned off and the bind plug installed, turn on the receiver. The receiver, satellite receiver and tm1000 should be flashing. Now press the bind on the iphone apps with the sti module inserted. Give it a few seconds to start flashing on the sti module. If all is doing what it should, everything should be in the bind mode. Now press the bind button on the transmitter and while holding it down turn on the TX. Watch the screen on the TX. It should start binding. If so you can release the bind button and let it finish. I think this is the proper sequence..
Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM
czorzella

Orthobird,
Looking at these photos, I wonder if you shouldn`t consider placing the TM antenna outside the fuselage...

the tm unit and the gps sensor are double side tape to top of fuselage
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM
orthobird

that is what i am thinking.  everything worked great when it was outside the plane.  let me try that.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Aerocal

I dont think outdoors or indoors is as much of a factor as is simply being near/around RF reflective surfaces.This is more likely to occur indoors but is also possible outdoors i.e. Binding/Connecting with the model sitting on a pickup bed,metal table or even close to the wall of a metal building.For me when I have a failure to connect or stubborn binding process simply reorienting and/or changing location seems to get things to work.Im not specifically sure what logic is being implemented by the code as it is analyzing the RF environment in the attempt to assure a stable environment to connect into but I figure it is seeing or hearing something it simply doesnt think is acceptable.Whatever it is seeing may be a mistake.I would much rather have an error towards not connecting when the environment is fine than I would having it connect when there was an actual issue that may affect the connection once it is made.
Of course we all want a system that will be on at the flip of a switch instantly every single time and I think it does a very good job at that for the most part.If there is some kind of issue with the RF environment that may cause a problem Im more than happy that it will refuse to connect.It may be a nuisance to a point but it is far better than the alternative.Finding out inflight isnt alot of fun.

I do have to say that I did have one time where my TR simply refused to connect no matter what I did.A rebind had it up and running again immediately.Im not convinced that the TR actually became unbound.I kind of suspect it may be how the iDevice is interfacing with the TR to implement Model Match.I have had a few times where toggling between models on the STi model screen made it connect after it was refusing.Im sure there is a way to make it better but I think its probably tough with the app developers limited access to the actual iCode.I tend to think some of these irregularities are inherent in the iOs and not the Spektrum code/hardware.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Franco2fly

I had one occurance when the "Y" for some reason did not work.  Don't ask me why, but I could not get the TM1K to go into bind (flashing) mode.
I had to rely on the stylus to get everything blinking.  If you still have trouble try holding the little pin on the side of the TM1K down with the stylus as you apply power to the receiver.... Have the bind plug in the receiver bind slot.  Its painful, but that's what I had to resort to.  Once all three devices proceed as usual with the transmitter bind button depressed prior to powering up.

KKKKFL
Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
orthobird

ok, took it out of plane again, insert bind plug into y harness, that connects to data in receiver (1221X)
then turned on receiver, then turned on i phone, opened the app, then selected model, then hit bind, then turn on tx while depressing bind button, then everything worked, including rpm, and on iPhone spektrum app, there was all bars present, then i removed bind plug, and everything went away, all bars went away, and no lights were on TM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
orthobird

alright Franco, let me go try that again, with removing the y harness.
give me 5 minutes.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Franco2fly

Once everything was working did you power off prior to pulling the bind

KKKKFL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.