Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

The sequence once bound is power off everything.  I even quit the STi application.  I make sure the iPhone doesn't have any thing running.

With the bind removed after completing a successful bind.  Power off all, then start the sequence first the DX8.  Remember to pull the Dongle, next start the Aircraft Rx.  Watch for the bars on the DX8...  When you see them start the STi application,  watch for the alert saying "Device not plugged in" as soon as you see it plug the Dongle in...

That's the way I do it and it has worked for me but don't ask me why...

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that did not work, and now, nothing works that i have tried.
    AMA # 982277
    3DHS Extra 330 SC 119" DA 170
    Bill Hempel Yak 40% DA 170
    Extreme Flight Extra 300 91" DA 60 MTW RE2
    Great Planes Matt Chapman Eagle Cap DA 120
    Extreme FLight Extra 300 78" DA35 (Soon)
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50
    GP Revolver 70 Saito FA1.25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Concerning the STI:

Does your iPhone have an updated IOS version?
    Have you jailbreaked your phone?
    Are you using the most recent version of STI app?
    Can you test your STI unit in a different Phone / iPad or iPod?

ORIGINAL: orthobird

that did not work, and now, nothing works that i have tried.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lets try a different approach.

1. Put TM1000 and receiver in bind...  ensure both are doing quick blink. if both go into quick blink with the bind plug using the "Y" that's fine.
    Leave the STi app alone for this first test.

2.  Depress bind button on DX8, Observe the Sat rx light go solid first then the receiver and TM1000 at about the same time.
    work the servo's to ensure that all is working and also observe the upper left corner... are the bars present

When you do the bind step away with the transmitter at least 2 meters.

3. Turn off the receiver.  Turn off the DX8 remove the bind plug from the receiver.

4.  Turn on the transmitter.  Observe no bars.  Turn on the aircraft receiver... after the comms link is established see the bars.  Use the roller and check to see if Temp is reading...  (pinch the temp sensor between fingers and watch for increase in temp)

End of first test....

Lets see how this goes before we attempt to work on the STi...

I would repeat testing of just the DX8 and the Receiver/TM1000  several time to make sure we don't have some other issue.  My guess is that it will send Telemetry data every time...  you can experiment with different antenna orientations.

The next phase of testing is just repeating what was initially done but adding the STi.  For this we will start by putting everything in Bind mode,  All devices will be in fast blink...  but lets get through the first half.

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i do not have dx8, i have JR 9503
    AMA # 982277
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Czorezella

to answer your questions:

Concerning the STI:

Does your iPhone have an updated IOS version? YES (iOS 6.0.1)
    Have you jailbreaked your phone? NO
    Are you using the most recent version of STI app? YES, i think so
    Can you test your STI unit in a different Phone / iPad or iPod? sure, let me try my daughter's Ipad, but id oes not have cellular plan, only wifi
    AMA # 982277
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The STi application does not need Cellular to operate... just down load the app to the iPad.
    As for the transmitter...  I can be of no further assistance, as I do not have any knowledge of how that operates or links, don't know what idiosyncracies there are.  I do know that one must be successful in getting the Telemetry exchange to work between the TM1000 and the transmitter BEFORE moving on to the STi app.  Does the JR even show you Telemetry?

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

no, it does not have that capability.
    i am ordering telemetry extensions, so that the TM is right next to the receiver in the canopy area of fuselage. the airplane fuselage is 116 inches long (nose to tail), so i think the TM is too far away from the receiver and the smaller receivers. maybe that has something to do with it. the Spektrum HH TM install video shows the person installing the TM adjacent to the receiver and using a short extension to connect data to data ports. i have a 24 inch extension to do that. maybe that is my problem? dont know for sure.
    AMA # 982277
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Back to basics...

1)Remove both the receiver and TMfrom the plane.
    2) Power the RX and TMwithout using any of the sensors nor the extension leads or servos
    3) Go through the binding process as recommended. Make sure you keep the transmitter a couple of meters from the RX

How does it goes?
    If it still doesnt work, try it with a different receiver?
    Are you connecitng the TMto the Data Port of receiver?

i am ordering telemetry extensions, so that the TM is right next to the receiver in the canopy area of fuselage. the airplane fuselage is 116 inches long (nose to tail), so i think the TM is too far away from the receiver and the smaller receivers. maybe that has something to do with it. the Spektrum HH TM install video shows the person installing the TM adjacent to the receiver and using a short extension to connect data to data ports. i have a 24 inch extension to do that. maybe that is my problem? dont know for sure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,

i want to begin by saying that i want to thank you and franco2fly for your perserverence in assisting me. this telemetry stuff is tricky. this is my first telemetry system, and to be quite honest with you, i was actually pondering converting to Futaba and purchasing the MZ18 system. i thought i would give Spektrum a try, being that so far, i am a JR man. With that being said, i am kind of disappointed with the lack of information on the TM 1000 module that can be obtained either from the instructions that came with the module, or that which could be obtained online from the spektrum website, or the Horizon Hobby website. If it were not for Czorzella or Franco2fly, i would truely be lost.
    i would have to say that with current rc technology, this telemetry has a never ending learning curve. if only there was a way that the manufacturer or distributor would have more thorough instructions, or a troubleshooting guide, or something. interestingly enough, gas motors, also have a learning curve. for us that have been in hobby (me going into 30 years, since i was age 11), we were accustomed to nitro, and that was it. but now, with gas engines, there is also a learning curve. but i now have a thorough understanding of gas engines, the electronics behind it, and tuning them. it is almost an art, besides it having science behind it. Still, i am disappointed with the lack of guidance that is provided with the telemetry. it almost seems to me that if you look at technology with rc planes, we had FM radios, then now we have DSM, DSM2, DSMX, FASST technology, electronic ignitions, powerboxes, etc...
    it almost seems to me that telemetry is probably one of the most complicated technology out there. it is, in fact, reversing what we have done for decades, which was, we sent a signal to our model. now the model is sending a signal back to us. this is high tech stuff, and of course, there is also FPV.

this is where my journey has taken me so far:

i have learned the following:

1. connect the TM to the sensors and to the receiver using data port.
    2. when binding, and here is very important point that has not been mentioned, only depress bind until you start the receiver and juice it up. once it is on, and the led are blinking on the receiver, the receiver antennas, and the TM, it is not necessary to continue to depress bind (if you do, it will not work).
    3. then, open spektrum sti app on iphone, connect the dongle (as someone refers to it), which i call the Sti interface.
    4. hit bind after chosing model
    5. now turn on transmitter while depressing bind button. distance did not appear to make a difference.
    6. this is what worked for me
    7. i also had to place the TM module directly on top of the receiver and use a very short connector to attach the data from TM to data on Rx.

this is now what its installation looks like (pic attached)

also, everytime i turn on the Tx and then receiver, then i turn on iphone app, then plug in the Sti, it works each time.

clearly i was having issues with binding and holding or depressing bind button too long. also, don't know if the module needs to be near to reciever, but since i did that at same time as depressing bind very briefly, it is hard to say which is variable that gave me success, and i am not going to undo things now to see what it was.

ORIGINAL: czorzella

Back to basics...

1)Remove both the receiver and TMfrom the plane.
    2) Power the RX and TMwithout using any of the sensors nor the extension leads or servos
    3) Go through the binding process as recommended. Make sure you keep the transmitter a couple of meters from the RX

How does it goes?
    If it still doesnt work, try it with a different receiver?
    Are you connecitng the TMto the Data Port of receiver?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65247.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	1836865  
    AMA # 982277
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

also, from within my house, the gps unit was functioning.  it was providing me with direction, speed, altitude, and i could see my home from the color satellite map picture.
    AMA # 982277
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Orthobird,
    I'm glad to hear that this is now working for you.
    Despite of the fact that Spektrum telemetry is really kind of trick, specially if you are using the STI, once you start to use TM in flight, you will probably be as much amazed as I'm about these things. It works really well for me and I find its readings very useful in different situations. I guess that TM in RC modeling is a no way back option.
    Have fun!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've not experienced the "Held the bind too long"  but hey what ever works for you.  Also, in reading your description maybe i misunderstood, but for all to bind correctly, it must be done simultaneously.  In other words, the STi dongle is blinking "Looking to bind" at the same time the TM1000 is blinking "looking to bind" as is the receiver.  With all three blinking (and I wait a few ticks and double check each one)  THEN, depress the bind button on the transmitter, and commence watching as each light goes solid.

Now what I described is for a DX8....  I know the Sat receiver in my set up goes solid before the receiver.  The Sat receiver is usually first, followed by the STi dongle, and then quickly following the TM1000 and Rx lights go steady.

As for the lack of documentation, that's long been an issue.  STi and iPhone are not HH products...  here the issue is with Apple.  Also, there are several potential configureations out there making it difficult on HH.  This is why I would like to start a Word document that describes user accounts, instead of an actual "How to" manual.

There are still mysteries involved...  for instance why does the "Y" connector not ship with the TM1000 and why does in not work 100% of the time?

Just keep telling yourself "Baby steps."

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This weekend, we were fog bound here in the D.C. area.  With a ceiling of something under 50 feet all we could do was sit and wait for the fog to lift and bench run our planes tweeking the engines.  Now I have the Logging on my iPhone STi app set to start as soon as the RPM exceeds 500 which works well.  Along with others I was running my engine on a new plane and all the needles worked out as did the logging, however, on the DX8, I noticed that the Min/Max screen was blank..  I shut down every thing powered off and started over but still the Min/Max screen was blank.

I finally did get the Min/Max screen to display, but don't know if what I did was what stimulated it or just Co - Inkey - Dink.

What I did was to Power up the Dx8 with the roller depressed then went to "Telemetry" I de-activated the slot dedicated to "Amps"
    Then shut off and restarted.  This time the Min/Max screen worked.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

KKKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Were you actually running the current sensor on that model? IIRC I have seen this once if you have a sensor enabled in the telemetry menu that isnt actually attached to the TM. Maybe coincidence too.Ill have to play with it when I get a chance and see if I can recreate it again.Also was the STi dongle also running?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I realize this question falls under the "if it were a snake, I'd be dead by now" category: How do you delete a model in the iPhone App?

Ihave been tweaking my settings and have noticed the flight voltage min/max displays a 5 digit number sometimes. I am not even using this sensor. Error?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The dongle appeared to be functioning properly...  I just had a blank Min/Max screen on the 8...
    I turned off the Amps sensor and all worked well again

KKKFL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tarcure,

1)If you no longer want a specific model you have, you can delete it right from your iPhone. Simply press and hold on any icon until all the icons begin to “wiggle.” then you tap the little “x” in the upper-left corner of the app you want to delete.
    2) You have the option to EDITGAUGES when you configure/edit your model's profile. From there, you may disable any gauge not in use.

ORIGINAL: tarcure

I realize this question falls under the "if it were a snake, I'd be dead by now" category: How do you delete a model in the iPhone App?

Ihave been tweaking my settings and have noticed the flight voltage min/max displays a 5 digit number sometimes. I am not even using this sensor. Error?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

This weekend, we were fog bound here in the D.C. area.* With a ceiling of something under 50 feet all we could do was sit and wait for the fog to lift and bench run our planes tweeking the engines.* Now I have the Logging on my iPhone STi app set to start as soon as the RPM exceeds 500 which works well.* Along with others I was running my engine on a new plane and all the needles worked out as did the logging, however, on the DX8, I noticed that the Min/Max screen was blank..* I shut down every thing powered off and started over but still the Min/Max screen was blank.

I finally did get the Min/Max screen to display, but don't know if what I did was what stimulated it or just Co - Inkey - Dink.

What I did was to Power up the Dx8 with the roller depressed then went to ''Telemetry'' I de-activated the slot dedicated to ''Amps''
    Then shut off and restarted.* This time the Min/Max screen worked.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

KKKKFL
    Yeah, Franco, it's a minor bug that ties the Min/Max screen to two different sensors incorrectly. It's already fixed in the next version.

Andy
    Andy Kunz - AMA 46063
    Spektrum Development Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's what I would have expected. But, the icon would not wiggle at all. I power cycled my iPhone and then was able to delete. Good. However, I closed the app, reopened and was shocked. ALL OF MY MODELS and flight info was gone - months worth of data. I will try and restore from iTunes tomorrow. I hope it works. I really like the telemetry info but this app is one of the wackiest I have ever used.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tarcure, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
    I tried to reproduce the issue like you describe, but the app is working as expected.
    Your experience raised a yellow flag on this app. I can't imagine loosing all my telemetry data gathered during the past six months.
    I wish the STI could give us an option to synchronize or export all log files at once either by email or through Dropbox.
    PerhapsAndy Kunz at Spektrumcould chime in here.

ORIGINAL: tarcure

That's what I would have expected. But, the icon would not wiggle at all. I power cycled my iPhone and then was able to delete. Good. However, I closed the app, reopened and was shocked. ALL OF MY MODELS and flight info was gone - months worth of data. I will try and restore from iTunes tomorrow. I hope it works. I really like the telemetry info but this app is one of the wackiest I have ever used.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hello
    does anyone have any advice
    i am using a jr transmitter x9503.
    with the spektrum telemetry unit.
    today was two flights with this system, and lots of interesting data.
    max altitude was 1200 feet
    max speed was 110 mph
    cylinder head temp was 130 F, and high was 160 F.
    rpm, was only thing did not show well.  it was reading in 400,000,000 digits?

does anyone know what is going on here?
    AMA # 982277
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

also, i emailed the flight log from my iphone to myself, and i cannot open it on my mac.
    it is a tlf file.

anyone know how i can see this?
    AMA # 982277
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Orthobird - go back to your model's telemetry profile and make sure you configured the POLES and GEAR RATIO at the RPM Parameters.These parameters will convert your 9 digit raw data into proper readings.

hello
    does anyone have any advice
    i am using a jr transmitter x9503.
    with the spektrum telemetry unit.
    today was two flights with this system, and lots of interesting data.
    max altitude was 1200 feet
    max speed was 110 mph
    cylinder head temp was 130 F, and high was 160 F.
    rpm, was only thing did not show well. it was reading in 400,000,000 digits?
    does anyone know what is going on here?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I/C engines dont have poles.

Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast