Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

I was reading on the Spektrum website last night and saw that the Telemetry module that comes with the DX8 is capable of sending information to an iPod touch, iPhone or iPad. Also, that any Spektrum Rx that has a Data Port is compatable with the telemetry module.

Question, does this mean that your Transmitter does not have to have telemetry for the iPhone App to work? i.e. can we use current JR transmitters such as the 11x, 9x03, and all module radios such as the 8103 and 10X and still get telemetry to work as long as we have the onboard telemetry module, a compatable Rx and an iPhone?

Why haven't I heard of this before? Why all the Hitec guys are all "yeah, but my Aurora has telemetry and JR doesn't" If the JR guys are able to get Telemetry already???

If the Iphone can get signal from the TM1000 module, why doesn't spektrum make a hand held device just for flight data info? do they think it will steal sales from the DX8?

http://spektrumrc.com/DSM/Technology/telemetry.aspx

Thanks all.

iPhone Pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98953.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1582968  
Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Hope they make an ap for Android phones, too.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Question, does this mean that your Transmitter does not have to have telemetry for the iPhone App to work? i.e. can we use current JR transmitters such as the 11x, 9x03, and all module radios such as the 8103 and 10X and still get telemetry to work as long as we have the onboard telemetry module, a compatable Rx and an iPhone?
Correct. ANY DSM2/DSMX Air (or Marine) system can be used. You can use a 12X and get telemetry into your iPhone. You can use a DX5e and get telemetry into your Apple. You can have telemetry showing on both your DX8 and your iPod at the same time. I have used my DX8 and MR3000 together to get telemetry data out of a race boat.

Why haven't I heard of this before? Why all the Hitec guys are all ''yeah, but my Aurora has telemetry and JR doesn't'' If the JR guys are able to get Telemetry already???
We haven't been talking about it too much. Once it's available, the phone companies will be hard-pressed to keep up with demand again

If the Iphone can get signal from the TM1000 module, why doesn't spektrum make a hand held device just for flight data info? do they think it will steal sales from the DX8?
What would be the purpose? If you can do it with an iPod/iPhone/iPad then you've already got one of the best user interfaces around. Actually, we expect it to BOOST DX8 sales.

We also have a thread on RCGroups in the Radio forum.

Andy
Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

for those of us not about to jump on the apple bandwagon, how about the Android application for the same thing? Any chance?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM
baronbrian

Thanks Andy. My Dad is looking at the 11X to "1 up" my 10X, but was thinking of holding off untill JR had Telemetry available on the radio. now there's no need to wait!

I don't get over to RCG. one time suck is enough for me. I found this site after RCO disbanded. LOL
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 PM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

for those of us not about to jump on the apple bandwagon, how about the Android application for the same thing? Any chance?
"I can neither confirm nor deny any potential products." Dang I get tired of that!

Here's a link to a thread where others asked

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384370

Brian - go for it!

Andy
Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
dougclind

Andy. Dude! "What would be the purpose?" Ummm, Andy, what about those of us who puke at the idea of owning anything Apple? My cell phone provider is Sprint and I use PC's in my professional life. Why would I own an ipad/pod/phone thing? And pardon me but wouldn't Spectrum be better at making a telemetry display device for their own telemetry module? If you really expect a third party device (i.e. the I thing) to boost DX8 sales, wouldn't your own device boost Spectrum sales more? Especially for the majority of the world who don't own Apple stuff?

I'm sorry but your logic here leaves me a little mystified. It kind of sounds to me like you want me to dump my 12X and get a DX8.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:24 PM
baronbrian

ORIGINAL: dougclind

Andy. Dude! ''What would be the purpose?'' Ummm, Andy, what about those of us who puke at the idea of owning anything Apple? My cell phone provider is Sprint and I use PC's in my professional life. Why would I own an ipad/pod/phone thing? And pardon me but wouldn't Spectrum be better at making a telemetry display device for their own telemetry module? If you really expect a third party device (i.e. the I thing) to boost DX8 sales, wouldn't your own device boost Spectrum sales more? Especially for the majority of the world who don't own Apple stuff?

I'm sorry but your logic here leaves me a little mystified. It kind of sounds to me like you want me to dump my 12X and get a DX8.
I kinda agree, but am considering a iPod touch just for telemetry. HAHA im the only 30 year old to never own an iPod or iphone, never needed one untill today. I would gladly buy the spektrum made unit instead.

BTW, when can we expect GPS data such as speed and altitude sensors for the telemetry module? or do they already exist? also, does the app for Iphone already exist or are we still waiting?

1 more question- how close does the plane have to be to the ipod to get the telemetry?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 AM
AndyKunz

Doug,

I don't (won't) buy an Apple product either. I'm happy with my Sansa player (running RockBox), my Nokia 1112 on TracFone, and my Dell netbook and Linux (none of which has a touch screen - they don't work for me).

Let's be realistic for a second. Creating a user interface as good as Apples would take a ton of money. Why spend that money when you can leverage what has already been done, and done well? If you don't want to buy new, that's OK because the secondhand market is full of older ones and I'm pretty sure we're supporting the very first version of the iPod, so cheap units are very available. But if you're like me, you'll just have to keep waiting and hoping for a non-Apple product.

Brian,

Yes they exist and will be available "soon."

The TM1000 is a full-range device. You should receive telemetry as far away as you can safely control your airplane. I have one in a 40-size Kaos and I've never been able to fly it out of range. The TM1100 is short range (several hundred feet), perfect for small helis and parkflyers. As always, range will vary depending on antenna orientation and other environmental issues.

Andy
Old 03-24-2011, 01:05 PM
dougclind

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz
Let's be realistic for a second. Creating a user interface as good as Apples would take a ton of money. Why spend that money when you can leverage what has already been done, and done well? If you don't want to buy new, that's OK because the secondhand market is full of older ones and I'm pretty sure we're supporting the very first version of the iPod, so cheap units are very available. But if you're like me, you'll just have to keep waiting and hoping for a non-Apple product.
Ok Andy, I see your point. But I do think I am being realistic. I mean what does it have to do? All it has to do is display some data on a screen and beep at you when something like battery voltage drops below a level.

If nothing else, find the guy who did the iphone app and contract with him to write some software (firmware?) for your own device. Get your manufacturing group to pull out the display device from the DX8 and sell it as a standalone module. Maybe you don't even need any software written. If it's good enough for the DX8 then it's good enough for me and other flyers.

Btw, are you saying that an MP3 player (i.e. the iPod thing) can display real time data?? From your telemetry device!! Did Spectrum design the TM1000 with that in mind? And can the iPod receive rf data without some kind of receiver module?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 PM
baronbrian

USB dongle for laptop and data recording?? Yes, Please.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:20 PM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: dougclind
Ok Andy, I see your point. But I do think I am being realistic. I mean what does it have to do? All it has to do is display some data on a screen and beep at you when something like battery voltage drops below a level. ... DX8 display ...
Your expectations are too low

Think about all the things that could possibly happen with an iPhone interface...

Btw, are you saying that an MP3 player (i.e. the iPod thing) can display real time data?? From your telemetry device!! Did Spectrum design the TM1000 with that in mind? And can the iPod receive rf data without some kind of receiver module?
Yes. Yes. No, a dongle is part of our package.

Andy
Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 PM
dougclind

Andy! Dude!

Think of all what things that could happen with an iPhone interface? I could give a flip really. Don't own one. Don't want one. All I need is telemetry info about battery level. I suppose gas engine people would want to know fuel on board. I can check out engine RPM and all that data after I land using my Castle ESC and Eagle Tree airspeed sensor. I definitely don't need that data when I'm flying. Well, maybe I could use a warning beep if Amps get too high on my electric motor.

When you're flying you don't need to be looking at a screen. I crash enough right now even when I AM looking at the plane!! Don't need a bunch of iPhone whoop-tee-do's to distract me!

Besides, like I said, if the current display is good enough for DX8 users, why wouldn't it be good enough for the rest of us?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:25 AM
AndyKunz

Interesting thoughts there, Doug. I'll pass them along.

Andy
Old 03-25-2011, 07:43 PM
dougclind

That's cool Andy. Thanks for the exchange of ideas.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Installed one of those "How High" units from WingedShadow and will try it out tomorrow! Might prove interesting.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:17 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

What is the iPhone app called? Is it available through the App Store?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 AM
AndyKunz

It's called "STi"(tm) and it's not available yet, although it will be in the app store when the hardware becomes available.

Here's a screen shot: http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Technology/telemetry.aspx

Andy
Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 PM
baronbrian

does soon mean before fall?
surprised STi wasn't taken by Subaru, esp. the lowercase "i" and all...
Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hmm a use for the Ipad I won from Cisco.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 PM
cloudniner
My Feedback: (87)

I can see me with one of these in my shirt pocket with it telling me via voice my height and voltage of my glider. I am afraid to take my eyes off my glider when it is up high. Can't wait...
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 AM
baronbrian

It's on the Horizon site, http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMTR1000
Due in May, and with the dongle thingy it's $100. So IF you already have an iApple deal, cost with the onboard telemetry module is about $160
Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now THAT's the Cat's Pajamas!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:35 PM
JohnB96041

Why not a voice speaker system like HTS-Voice Telemetry Voice Announcing System. I have been told that it is not compatible with Spektrum. With the telemetry voice announcing system I would not have to look at the Transmitter. How about it?
Old 07-21-2011, 03:23 PM
AndyKunz

The iPhone platform opens up all sorts of possibilities - that's why we chose it. I'm not close to that development project, but as I see it, the sky is the limit now.

Andy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.