Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR XF421EX programming mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 09:55 PM
aquilajohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR XF421EX programming mode

I would like to thank you in advance for any help / advice you may be able to offer. My problem is that my 421 won't enter the programming modes. It is just over two years old. It was sent to Horizon for a range problem when it was about 3 months old and after a channel change and tune has worked very well since. With the exception of the current problem. Ever since it was new it would not always enter the programming modes on the first try. I just thought that I was not pressing both rocker switches together within an acceptable time. As time when on this reluctance to enter the programming mode slowly became worst, and now I began to think the rocker switches must be getting "noisy" from age and use, but with a little patience I could always get it to work. Then last week - nothing. It is now stuck and completely useless as no setup or adjustments are possible.

My questions are.....

1) Does JR's highly marketed 3 yr. warranty apply to my radio? The original sales ticket was sent to horizon and I longer can find it, if it was returned. Purchase date approximately July 2001.

2) Is there a "reset" function to restore the programming memory / functions to factory default? if so, how is done?

3) is this a common problem seen in your service dept.?

4) If sent in for repair, I do not want to spend even half the retail value without first knowing cost and options. The horizon web site states that only if repair exceeds half of retail will I be given a price and options to approve. This after already obtaining my credit card info. I am at the point I would really like a better transmitter anyway, and if repair is much at all would prefer putting the money into a new one. Of course I would like this working as well.

This is my first and only experience with JR. Most friends and local club members fly Futaba and told me I was nuts to buy JR. They said besides being more expensive, that JR radios didn't seem to last as well as Futaba. Their opinion. If this transmitter is now shot and not covered under warranty, what can you tell me about trusting another JR purchase?

Thanks for the time to respond.

John
Old 08-13-2003, 01:43 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) If your system was purchased around that time and the system has had no unauthorized repairs or modifications, and has not had any fuel etc that has damaged the TX, it would still be under warranty. Your system does have a 3 year warranty based on the stated date of purchase. Keep in mind that the warranty is non-transferable, so systems purchased used are not under warranty.

2) To set a model back to factory defaults, press both buttons up and turn the system on. Press Scroll until you get to a function labeled RST. Then press Channel and Increase at the same time to clear the settings.

3) When you send in your system include a letter with your name, address, day time contact number, and a description of the problem. If you would like an estimate before proceeding with the repair, state this in your letter.

JR radios have a 3 year warranty for a reason, they are very dependable and we trust that few modelers will need to take advantage of the 3 year warranty. JR makes some of the most dependable and best performing products in the industry. If a problem does come up though, they have the longest warranty in the industry, combined with an excellent service department.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:07 AM
aquilajohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danny,

Thanks for such a fast reply, and for your comments. Regarding the reset function.....that's the problem. When holding both rocker switches up and turning on the transmitter, nothing happens. It powers up just as if it had been without the switches thrown. Same thing after power up, nothing. It's as if the switches don't exist, so it is stuck in "model 1" and nothing can be adjusted. I will send it in with a letter as you suggest for your service tech's to check out. I really do Love the JR brand and best outcome of all would be for this to be repaired under warranty and to purchase a 662 or 378. I am sure enough of the purchase date, and no one else has repaired or serviced the transmitter so I'm inclined to think whatever repair is needed JR will take care of. Maybe I should try to get a picture of the guys faces when they find out it was taken care of (assuming it will be) after more than two years! Then I'll ask them if "their" brand would do this and see how many think I;m still crazy for choosing JR.

There is potential testimonial in here somewhere, besides the "crow" the guys will be eating instead of programming.

Thanks again.

John
Old 08-14-2003, 12:01 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is very possible that it would be a warranty repair, but I can not be certain until after we have had a chance to check it out. Please do send it in, and we'll get it fixed up for you. Our average turn around time right now is 3 to 4 business days, so we should get you back in the air quickly. If you have any further questions please let us know.