Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

orange rx performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:27 AM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: orange rx performance

Hi. I just found this thread looking for more info on the orange rx as i just bought one with the satelite. I just want to say something, and im not trying to anger anyone. How can anyone bad mouth a product to anyone, and go tell them to buy the, "national brand"? I have a Spektrum Dx7, and an AR7000 Rx. I bought the brand name stuff because Im new to the hobby and thought that was going to keep my plane, (my first plane that i built and covered myself) safe. fourth flight in, brown out. ive been repairing it ever since. My point being, you never know what is good and what isnt until you try it.. I will test the crap out of this new receiver and satelite, and if it fails, its in the garbage. over my 42 years of life, i have learned more and more every day that you get what you pay for, but there are exceptions to that rule. sometimes, the over-priced national brand isnt always thebest. If anyone wants, Ill post my results to this thread once i receive the Rx, and test it.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
jazzboy
My Feedback: (1)

I have three orange receivers. One in a foamy, one in a Trex 450 (with sattelite) and the other in a Trex 500 (with sattelite). All three were flown extensively last season and never gave me any trouble. Range in the foamy with no sattelite was fantastic. These seem to made in a modern facility and look to be be very well made.

My name brand E-Flite Yak Carbon Z has been nothing but trouble and had some very wierd stuff happen with its Spektrum receiver. So...nothing is perfect but overall everything is much better than it was years ago ;-)
Old 01-07-2012, 07:53 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

don't use an orange rx in your plane. they are trouble prone. you will lose your plane for sure. maybe in electric park flyer....but thats it. ask me how i know. anything from hobby king is just junk...............
Old 01-07-2012, 08:12 PM
jazzboy

Never mind.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 AM
svo

I've been flying about a dozen of the orange 6 channel receivers and a few 4 channel no sattelites. never had an issue with either of them. Used them with a Dx6i and also an 11X
Flown them in several different areas too.

You can "throw them away",.... I will buy more!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 AM
flynfred

I am using about a dozen orange rx and no problems what so ever, I have had two ar500 go bad and a couple of 6100 and a 6110e and these were bought from HH, they are all made in china, so you just have to try them out if they give good service use them, when you buy from china you just try to check the forrums to see what others say about these products and go from there, HK has a lot of good products at great prices and some not so good products also ,I have bought maybe 50 motors and had 3 or 4 burn up or not work from the start but the rest worked great so just check out as much as you can before purchase
Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Franco2fly

I've been using Orange Rx's and have yet to see a problem. I do spend the extra for Satellite Rx's and I've been using them with my DX 7. Over Christmas I received a new DX 8 and sold the Dx 7 so I'll be testing with the 8 from now on. I have to believe, however, that whether you're talking Dx 6, 7 or 8... the Spektrum Transmitters all should generate the same power output. Orientation of the antenna will be a much larger factor than anything else, both the transmit and receive antenna and how they are oriented with respect to each other.

I have seen aircraft crashes where an Orange receiver was being used, but in every case thecrash was due to Battery, or servo failure. One guy had the failsafe's set to full right aileron, and wondered why the stalledelevator servo cause it to spiral in. It took a demonstration with the wing off for him to understand what was happening.

One thing I have noticed, now that I'm using the Dx8 which shows rxbattery voltage, is the severe voltage drop as servo's run(move). By this I mean, you push the stick and the servo moves to the correct position. During that movement the Current draw hits the battery HARD and the voltage drops. Only by slamming the sticks all around can you actually see this impact as it really occurs quickly. It is hard to see if you are using a 1300mah or bigger pack that has BEC.

I first detected it when using a small 4 cell pack that was out of a glider. I had moved the pack over to a .40 size airplane for testing. This airplane has standard servo's. The Dx8 transmitter is set such that anything below 4.2 volts alarms. As I moved the sticks around the alarm was going off. I looked around and found a fully charged 2400mah pack and the alarm went away, That focused my attention on the voltage screen and sure enough I could see it dip to 3.8v when the sticks were slammed using the glider pack. Now lets say I was flying with my old Dx7 (Pre telemetry) and I thought the battery would be OK for a Nitro .40 using an Orange receiver. This would most surely result in a link loss at a minimum, and if FailSafe conditions were improperly set a crash could be imminent.

Bottom line is that while I've had no problems with Orange receivers, I think its very important to ensure that you don't skimp on the receiver battery power.

KKKKFL
Old 06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
slamn sammy

I have six of the Orange 610 receivers, One in a 50cc Extra mx2, With a R100 Sat, receiver and nown have about 25 flites on it with 'NO' brown outs at all. Not even a hick up and I see when some one runs them down, you ask them how meney thay have and what are going wrong with them? It's always "AH! WELL I DON'T HAVE ONE NOR HAVE I HADE ONE"! Well thats like when I was in the showing cat's and a kid would come and say "YA MAN! I GOT A 72 CAMARO AND IT HAS A 3/4 RACE CAM IN IT" And I would ask them, WHAT DURATION AND LEFT IS THAT CAM? The anser is always, "AH! WELL MY BROTHER OR DAD,SOME ONE BESIDES HEM BUILT THE MOTOR! If you know aboult building car motors, 3/4 race cam, Don't Exist! There are 3/4 race engines but cam's well, HERE COMES THE TRUNUP TRUCK, DEE,DEE,DEE. To make my point, I'm using a '610' in a Aeroworks 33% edge 540, Without a sat, Receiver with a BME 102 and it flys fine. The most commin Q&A Is "WHAT IS THE RANGE OF THIS RECEIVR?" The range is from the Radio and the state of the battery. NOW I'm saying go us a 'Park flyer' receiver In a Gaint Scale But what I'm doing is my own R&D. What I am saying, How dumd you are depands on who your talking to. Buy one and make up your own mind. If you read all the info, you'll see the AR- receivers sometime go wrong to. Speed control fail, servos fail, the crap tank somes run over to. Range ck, DO BE SAFE! Shop Box Broke I'm Gone
Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Slavko

Just thought I'd pipe up and add my $.02 worth.  I don't post too much as I learn more from reading than from typing.  Anyway, most of my planes use the Orange Rx's.  I used them with the Dx-7 and also with the DX-8.  I've never had any sort of problem at all.  I also use the satellite on all of them as well.  This may upset some folks, however, I mean no offence.  From what I've been able to pick up on various forums it appears that one should be using at least a 5 cell, 6 volt Rx battery with the 2.4 systems.  I've seen this a few times at the field where there is a crash and it is blamed on the radio.  When the Rx battery is checked, the remaining voltage is marginal at best.  Sometimes the servo installation is not the best either with binding linkages and the like.  Again, just my opinion and no offence intended.   Just make sure to check those batteries.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:35 PM
slamn sammy

Hay man! I got ya. What I do is make a bus for the servos and run the servos on a 6 volt system and run the receiver on a 4.8 and Allso use a volt watch meager on the outside of the plane and ck, it on a fly buy. It works grate. I make out of an old 72 mg. with the pins for the servos to plug into, then I sauder in a femail plug for the switch an then I sauder aground wire and plung it into the neg, of the receiver and then I sauder in a signal wire to plug into the signal on the receiver. The receiver and the battery don't know where it's gets the power from. This set up is old school form the 72mh, days. Sounds like my kind of my flying buddy. No Offense taken. I'm on Hobby King under 'Slamn Sammy' Look me up any time. My E- Mail is [email protected]. 'Holler'. :-)
Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 PM
tlojak38

I posted previously to this thread, and let me now add that I've been using an r610 with the r100 sat. In my 4 * 60, and have not had an issue yet. Back to my ar7000. Have lost signal 3 times so far, wrecked once, and was able to save it the other two times. I now have two of the r710 and satellites on their way. Just my opinion after seeing both in action.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:07 AM
slamn sammy

In what I saying earlier is DON'T go out and use a park flyer receiver on a Gaint Scale! 'BUT' On the 610 It says from "Park flyers to medum size aircraft" But I trust the 610 in all aircraft, but I would use the satellite receiver and also on the circuit board there is a provision for an extra antenna. Installing is a good ideal anf point at a 90% or even change the stock location to make them on a horizotai pos. Fly high and safe :-]
Old 06-08-2012, 05:26 PM
tlojak38

I agree with the satellite thing. Every one of my receivers has a satellite. I'm just weird like that. There's no such thing as being overly safe.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Flierboy

Default OrangeRx

Originally Posted by tlojak38
I agree with the satellite thing. Every one of my receivers has a satellite. I'm just weird like that. There's no such thing as being overly safe.
I have lost 2 planes totally and several crashes using Spektrum Rx/Tx combination (AR6210 with satellite/DX6i) and none of my 3 planes with OrangeRx R610/DX6i. Both totaled planes flew great the same day and then just went out of control flipping around like mosquitoes. I sent the DX6i in to Horizon after several crashes and they "replaced" it as a "consideration to the customer" even though they said they couldn't find anything the matter with it. They sent me an obviously used DX6i that I lost the 2 planes with. I finally bought a Spektrum Flight Log but it stopped working after the first few uses.I now assume that it is the Rxs that are not reliable.I have had two AR6210 Rxs that seem to bind but don't give the final steady light. My DX6i changes the timer setting randomly and has to be checked before each flight. A friend just bought a new DX8 and the screen wouldn't light. Several fliers at the field have lost control using Spektrum equipment but none who use Futaba. I saw a DX8 that wouldn't connect with the plane at 30 feet but when the flier turned around, it would. None of this proves that there was a problem with the electronics but I won't fly anything but a foam plane with Spektrum equipment anymore. Forget about the price and the value of the plane, a crash with a nitro plane has the potential to do serious damage and potentially hurt someone. We rely on the fact that we don't fly over houses and people but of course, when the Rx goes bad, the plane goes wherever it wants to. I changed all my planes over to Futaba when I lost one on someone's driveway. I also changed all my foam plane Rxs to OrangeRx. I did it at the end of last season and will be interested to see if it affects anything!Sadly, I have to admit that there is no way to tell if the electronics will have random problems and no amount of bench testing will prevent an in flight failure. Vibration, battery fluctuation, servo feedback, broad spectrum EMF, temperature and humidity etc. are uncontrolled variables. Many people fly Spektrum without incident and many fly Futaba. The only thing I can say is that there are a lot fewer complaints about Futaba than Spektrum both at the field and on the net. The market is getting flooded with new Tx/Rx systems and it will be interesting to see how they fare.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:42 PM
HunkaJunk

I'm not going to tell anyone what to buy, but I have thousands of flights with the Spektrum DSM2 (and now DSMX) system using genuine Spektrum equipment. I did buy one orange RX some time ago, but I never flew with it because the range check distance was considerably less that the Spektrum RX. As I recall it was within the recommended distance, but the genuine Spektrum range tested well beyond the recommended distance, now the orange RX is a bench test RX.

That has been my only experience with the Orange receivers.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

All the brands occasionally have problems. But, where has anyone ever said HKs service & support was anywhere near that of HH's? I know my experience with HK precludes me from saying that.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:51 PM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by geeter
don't use an orange rx in your plane. they are trouble prone. you will lose your plane for sure. maybe in electric park flyer....but thats it. ask me how i know. anything from hobby king is just junk...............
I have 12 Orange receivers and four of the Spektrum receivers and l have more problems out of the Speck, brand. Have replace 2ea already and the Orange brand has never let me down, WELL! Spektrum has changed the firmware and you have to turn off the DSMX to get the Orange DSM2 to work safe. I have the 2nd run of the #X-8 and that all work fine where l bought the #X5e DSM2 & DSMX & crashed the first plane l put it in, then l found out that you had to turn off the DSMX to use the Orange receivers.They do work good & don't give up on them. The first one l bought I'm still using on a 37% MX-2 with a DLE 55, it's a (610) with the 100 sat, receiver on two 2300 6v NIMH battery's on 7 Digital servos & a 2300 4.8 on the receiver. Please, Please don't give up on these receivers. I also have a the same set up on a H 9 330 & works fine. I also found bind at first, than bind after you have the pane set up, than test fly or plane than bind a been and you have a good solid link and set the falesafe with a low throttle not a engine kill!! :-)

Last edited by slamn sammy; 01-08-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:12 PM
slamn sammy

I have been using Hobby King Orange 610 receivers for years now and have not had one fail yet. well not true! l have a DX8 that is the 2nd run of the 8's. The first has recalls on them. you can go to spectrum.com and they will walk you threw it. The first run of the DX8's have DSM2 on the front of the case. The 2nd run have DSMX on the case and you can use the Orange Rx's without any problem's. Now! The 3rd line (the newest line) (BE WARE) The firmware has been changed! If you are using the Org, Rx's that are DSM2, need to turn off the DSMX And there will be no problem. I found out this the hard way with a DX5e. The old Dx5e said DSM2 on the case, l bought my wife a Dx5e (DSMX) and it said that you can use 2 or X, BUT what it did not say is that it (HAS) to be a Spektrum Rx. l crashed two planes with this radio! BUT! Even with the DX5e DSMX, you can trun the DSMX off! it tells you in the manual how to do it. NOW! l just ordered the New Orange 820x 8Ch receiver and can not find anything about it. Hope l did order a POS. Anybody???
Old 07-05-2015, 09:30 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And the fight over which is best just goes on and on!
Old 07-05-2015, 11:16 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by chuckk2
And the fight over which is best just goes on and on!
I think its more likely the people than the equipment
Old 07-06-2015, 06:29 AM
slamn sammy

l can see if you crash something,but, when you just trun something on and it don't work after you fluw it two weeks ago. Theres something wrong with that. Thats what happend with my (REAL) Ar8000 Rx's?? My Orainge Rx's just keep pluging. You can have a crash where your plane is a total and the receiver case came apart and it will still work like it's new (I got a pissa box that l do testing on) What l'd like to know is l just bought a Orange Rx8Ch receiver and it must be so new that there is no revues on it yet?? it's a DSM2/DSMX receiver and l have two (REAL SPEKTRUM DSMX SATELLlTE) receivers and wonder if l can use them on my Ora, 8Ch, Receiver? This rec, has two sat port's. l love theses receiver's. (Just for fun) to show the guy's at my field that was giving me a hard time about the Orange line, l had been flying a plane that had a Spektrum DSM2 Ar7000 receiver, Without them seing me, l replaced the Ar7000 with a Orange 610 with a Org,100 satellite receiver and finished the day. then told them what l dun and showed them and this was a gas airplane! After that they all started buying the HK receivers. Guys at other club's would say "Oh, l'd never use that recever, there junk" And l would ask them "Well what kind of trouble did you have them?" and (ALWAYS) they would say "Well l have never had one" MAN! That one sided to me! Keep flying them and lf someone don't like what your flying, ask them "how munch money do you have in my plane?" Don't B a A about it, BUT!! Don't let them run you over about it. Stay out of the trees and l will post about the new Orange 8Ch Rec.

Last edited by slamn sammy; 07-14-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:43 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I think its more likely the people than the equipment
There may be a lot to be said for that comment. I have several orange RX's and I have retired several. I have never had a failure that I could back track to the RX, mostly they were dumb things like rolling a flat bottomed airfoil way too low or trying a full throttle touch and go with the wrong rates selected for the elevator. ROFLOL! Fun times all the way to the trash sack!

However, I have learned and applied a few things that probably have contributed to my successes. I use mains and mains with remotes. One thing I have learned is that there can be a bind problem and it seems to come in 2 or 3 different flavors. One flavor of problem is that if you bind and rebind too many times, it won't bind any more and that is a pretty clear indicator that it is trash can time. The second flavor of problem is a partial loss of bind usually shown by a blinking bind light. That is also a clear indicator of the path to the trash can. After discovering some of this, I determined that I needed to be able to see the bind light before I took off to prevent loss of aircraft. The third flavor of failure seems to be the hidden brown out and to correct that I have taken two different actions. First I use FIVE cell packs to get the 'floor' voltage up and secondly I use larger capacity cells to reduce the significance of the dip.

None of those may work for you, but that is what I have had success with.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ran into this thread after doing some reading on the Flitetest site. They just completed their 4 1/2day Flite Fest with something like 650 to 700 registered pilots.
Here's that thread: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...ckouts-at-FF15.

There's some interesting info in there that sort of developed as the thread progressed.
I've been running OrangeRX 615's and now 615x's for foamies. I will run R620x's with satellite for signal diversity in anything that takes a while to build, definitely for fuel aircraft, or when I fly in a mob ( which is like never).
Old 07-14-2015, 04:41 AM
slamn sammy

l just received my new Orange R820X Receiver, when l binded it to my Dx8 Tx, it came up DSM2 in the window where it showed what Rx it i Now this is a DSM2/DSMX rec, l went into the menu on my Tx and changed it to DSMX. Showed DSMX in the window and rebindied it. At first dind it showed DSMX Frame Rate of 11Ms, But affter l got dun, it showed DSMX in the window and l went back into the menu and it sad DSMX 22 Ms Frame Rate. The point l'm getting at is if you buy one of theses Rx's and it bindes up to DSMX and you like it to be DSMX, Make sure that if it should or you change it. Make sure it don't have a frame rate of 11Ms. That id for a (High-Speed receiver and Digital Servo's Only). l had some (Spektrum) brand DSMX Sattilie receiver's and l under stand that you can use them on this receiver and l binded with the receiver, But l ordered the Orange DSMX Sat's anyway. Also going to order the Telemetry receiver for it has the Rx Battery Voltage and RPMs and Enging Tempertures for only under $25.00. This is a good thing to know when your flying. NOW, lf you Tx don't have Telemetry on it, this will not help you in any way. But for my Dx8, l't came with a Telemetry receiver that showed the engine temp and bbattery voltege. l crashed the plane l had it in and smashed the telemerty Rx and got sticker shock when l was going to replace it and lf l wwanted to have the Rpm's l had to purchase more parts for Lots of $$$$. If this receiver is anything like the other Orange line, there going tto put the hurt on Spektrum replacment parts! After l test all of this l will post. ALSO! Like the other Orange stuff, this Rx don't come with a Manual, like to see this change. The first Rx l bought, l burned up a servo and burned the #5&6 Channel out of the receiver, because l did not see the (S) on the side of the case. After l did this, l started marking the (S) on the case! LOL on the new 8Ch Rx this it marked well withh a sticker. Would like to try the 7Ch Rx's for my Dx7. For the price and Quality, you can not beat the Orange line. ya keep flying and staay out of the tree's!