Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX8 Re-binding issue

Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Garfield81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX8 Re-binding issue

I have a DX8 which I succcessfully bound to a mSR BNF to model1 and it had been working fine until the tail motor end cap came off on the mSR. I go get a new tail boom assembly and put it back together and now I notice that I have to full up to get the mSR to lift off. Read the manual and it said to make sure the throttle is all the way down when powering up the mSR. Tried that a couple of times and tried recharging batteries but no luck.

Finally I decide to re-bind the mSR to the DX8 as a last shot. Turn on the mSR wait for it to blink and turn the DX8 on in bind mode. The screen says binding for a few seconds and then transmitting and it reboots but the mSR is still blinking and it won't bind. Then I tried reset the model1 memory and tried to rebind and still the same results. Then I tried to change the model type to airplane instead of heli and tried re-binding again and no luck.

So i decide to switch to unused model2 and tried to rebind and it worked as expected. Only thing I noticed different was the duing the bind process it said binding and then displayed DSM2 and 22ms. I did not see the transmitting screen like with model1. (FYI: Re-binding did solve the throttle issue and the mSR started lifting off at about half way throttle instead of full throttle)

So my question how can I rebind the mSR to model memory1?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts
Default RE: DX8 Re-binding issue

You didn't try to set it to 11ms by chance?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Garfield81

I don't believe so. Is that a per model setting?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm pretty sure. I was working on one at the field yesterday but I dont have a DX8 to go and verify
Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Garfield81

Ok I will take a look into in but if I had accidently changed to 11ms then the mSR would not have worked at all before I started the re-binding process right?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Garfield81

Just as an update I was able to re-bind the mSR to model1. I think you can't re-bind a model to the same model memory so you have to first re-bind to a different memory and then re-bind it again to the previous memory.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:26 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Garfield81

Just as an update I was able to re-bind the mSR to model1. I think you can't re-bind a model to the same model memory so you have to first re-bind to a different memory and then re-bind it again to the previous memory.
You can ReBind to the same Model Memory as many times as you wish, without changing Model Memories. I ReBind whenever I make major changes to the programming.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Garfield81

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Garfield81

You can ReBind to the same Model Memory as many times as you wish, without changing Model Memories. I ReBind whenever I make major changes to the programming.

I would think the same but I couldn't get my mSR to bind to a memory it had already been bound to. I probably must be doing something wrong.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 AM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

It's not the 11ms setting. The 11ms setting is not a "force" action, it is a "permit" action. What that means is that IF your receiver is capable of 11ms (the MSR isn't), then ALLOW it to bind at 11ms. If the rx is 22ms, then that's all you'll get whether the tx setting is 11 or 22. However, if the tx is set to 22ms and the rx is capable of 11ms, then the bind will be 22ms.

It's not the model memory. You can re-bind to the same model number as often as you wish. I do this all the time.

Most likely, the helicopter wasn't in bind mode when you started the bind on the original model number. You have to wait until the heli is blinking rapidly before turning on the transmitter with the bind held down. (Note: People have figured out how to get back to the bind option after powering up and changing models. Don't do that - it's not going to work reliably. Always bind from the tx powered off.)

Andy
Old 06-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Garfield81

Andy,
Thank you for your response. But I did double-triple check the heli was in bind mode (as I tried to do this a couple of times) with the light blinking rapidly and I did power off the TX and to get into bind mode a couple of times too.

Anyways everything is good for now and I will try to re-produce the issue whenever I have time and am bored flying the mSR
Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
AndyKunz

Other things that affect bind are metal surfaces (stay away from them), noisy RF environments, long distances (6 ft is good), low battery in rx, and (with normal rx/sx systems) plugging in the power upside down.

The 1S micro stuff is susceptible to low battery voltage, as there isn't much headroom with a 1-cell LiPo. If your battery was low, that would account for it not binding.

I hope you can't reproduce the problem!

Andy
Old 06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Garfield81

Andy
Yes that makes sense but what threw me off was I was immediately able to rebind in the first go after I swtiched model memory to 2. And this was done right after it had failed to bind with model memory 1
Old 06-14-2011, 04:58 PM
AndyKunz

That's called "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" reasoning. They are two unrelated events. Sometimes things happen that we don't know about that are underlying causes.

Andy