Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

PowerBox Sensor Switch for Spektrum/JR Receivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerBox Sensor Switch for Spektrum/JR Receivers

Greetings,

I understand that the Spektrum AR9110 and other similar high end Spektum/JR receivers (not including power box-type systems) that come with dual battery input leads can isolate the 2 batteries in the event one should fail. They also come with a switch that fails open. In light of all that, the only possible advantage of using a PowerBox Sensor Switch instead of the stock switch on these receivers would be voltage regulation. Am I right? Am I missing any another advantage? Also, is there any disadvantage to using these switches on these types of receivers?

Thanks up front.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM
bugmyspeed
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: PowerBox Sensor Switch for Spektrum/JR Receivers

I have question about the JR/Spectrum dual power receivers. I have a new 100cc Yak. I have 7 Hitec servos to install, 6 HS 7954SH, 1 HS 7990TH. I purchased the AR 12110 Spectrum receiver. I was wondering if I can safely fly this set up with dual battery hooked up to the receiver as advertised by JR and Spectrum? Or do I still need some power buss system?

Thanks for the help. My original plan was to install one of the Smartfly systems, but then I saw the JR/Spectrum hign end receivers with dual battery leads. Their ads say they will handle it, I need to know if its true.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Beavis

Huh? Why would you post your question here and also repeat it as the start of another thread? Further, it has nothing to do with my inquiry, which pertains to a specific switch...
Old 10-27-2011, 05:25 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Beavis

Greetings,

I understand that the Spektrum AR9110 and other similar high end Spektum/JR receivers (not including power box-type systems) that come with dual battery input leads can isolate the 2 batteries in the event one should fail. They also come with a switch that fails open. In light of all that, the only possible advantage of using a PowerBox Sensor Switch instead of the stock switch on these receivers would be voltage regulation. Am I right? Am I missing any another advantage? Also, is there any disadvantage to using these switches on these types of receivers?

Thanks up front.
Umm.... Yes and no.... Yes the PowerSafe rx's have built in battery isolation, yes it has a built in switch but that switch is "Fail On" not "fails open". Now I'm confused when you say "PowerBox Sensor Switch" since I don't know what that is? Some guys are putting switches in the power feed lines for various reasons some of which I don't get, but one may be that because the built in switch is "Fail On", it draws a tiny amount of power all the time and if the model isn't going to be flown for some time, the rx should be disconnected from the batteries. I just unplug mine at the end of the day. Of note, the actual switch which comes with those rx's is NOT a standard power switch, all it does is jumper the signal and ground pins of the switch port, you can even use a bind plug to turn the rx on/off but you cannot use a regular power switch.

Does that help?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Beavis

Zeeb,

Yes, that helps a lot. Thank you.

As to what I mean by the PowerBox Sensor Switch, please see http://www.powerbox-systems.com/e/po...nsor/start.php . This product is very popular in Europe and I see it quite a bit here in the US as well...

Thanks again,
Old 10-28-2011, 05:19 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Beavis

As to what I mean by the PowerBox Sensor Switch, please see http://www.powerbox-systems.com/e/po...nsor/start.php . This product is very popular in Europe and I see it quite a bit here in the US as well...
Ah... My buddy has those switches on the ignitions of his models one of which has a DLE-111 so there is a desire to cut the voltage a bit from the A123's and the regulator does that and it matches the control switch for the unit inside the model which controls the rx power. It's not really a PE but something kind of like that in that it allows larger diameter input wires, he's not using JR/Spektrum so he can't use a PowerSafe rx.

After seeing him use them, I don't like 'em. He's always monkeying around trying to figure out which button to push, how many times and trying to see if the appropriate light is on. That particular switch is useless for an rx pack IMHO since it's limited to 5 amps. The JR/Spektrum rx's which are 9 channel and above including the PowerSafes, can handle 35 amps continous and burst to 50 amps.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Beavis

Copy that, Zeeb. It makes sense.

Thank you,