Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

One Arm RC Flying

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:37 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One Arm RC Flying

I could sure use some help getting some single handed RC equipment (that includes games like xbox, wii, and PS too) for wounded warriors.

Could anyone post some links to manufacturers/retailers. I have Googled the subject until my mouse arm is exhausted.

Sorry for the double post here and in the Futaba forum.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 PM
1bwana1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: One Arm RC Flying

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

I could sure use some help getting some single handed RC equipment (that includes games like xbox, wii, and PS too) for wounded warriors.

Could anyone post some links to manufacturers/retailers. I have Googled the subject until my mouse arm is exhausted.

We have a guy at our field who lost an arm and wanted to fly RC. We tried a couple of things. In the end we helped him get a standard transmitter modified to a single stick transmitter. The guys at Radio South did the work. They say they can modify just about any transmitter for this purpose. I'm sure there are a lot of old 72MHz in your club to use as a starting piece. It is working very well for him, I have flown with it a number of times and have no problems. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/

I hope this helps you out.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM
oldtimer4759

hi,
there is a modeller in Australia, lost an arm in an accident, he flies top level pattern, wears a harness frame for the throttle, then a specially modified Tx with, elevator and aileron on one stick with a knob on the top of the stick for the rudder.
so it can be done.
I can find out more if required.

Oldtimer.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 AM
on_your_six

Hello, Thank you ... yes I am interested. Maybe a picture or two of how he accomplishes the task.. picture of the device and then him using it... if possible.

I am finding several methods. As one size does not fit all, I am gathering all that I can find that are not one offs.. A lot of the amputees spend a lot for a custom solution. I am looking for the off the shelf solutions as they will be less expensive.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well over 10 years ago, I read an article in a magazine where this guy had modified his radio where he had both sticks tied together with a rod with pivots on both ends. To fly, he grabbed the bar in the middle, and twisted the bar to throttle up. Best part is that when making turns, the turns ended being "coordinated" turns because the rudder and aileron were tied together by the solid rod. I've been trying to find a picture of the set-up but I can't find it.

Rafael
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

O.Y.S.,
Your thread was sent my way by an RCU friend. I have been a one-armed modeler and flyer for all of my modeling years. With respect to RC transmitter equipment, today the choices are very limited. The obvious and most useful choice is a "single stick" transmitter; years ago these were made by nearly all of the radio manufacturers. I believe Futaba was the last to offer a single stick Tx here in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">US</st1lace></st1:country-region>. On occasion, you may find a used unit here, on RCG, or on the popular auction site. Their prices vary about as much as gasoline prices do! Some Tx's, like the Pro-Line Competition Six single stick with its precision machined 3-axis (rudder, aileron, elevator) metal gimbals, are often prized by those who owned one previously and they pay very well when they find one. There are those who have fabricated gimbals themselves and there are others who have made three axis gimbals in limited production runs. <o></o>

A two stick transmitter can be utilized by a one-handed flyer; however, it takes a bit of getting used to and quite a bit of practice to acclimate oneself to it. Though, I have foundit rather easy to do whenflying smaller gas/electric and park flyer type models. I have done this for quite a number of years and in fact, I maiden flight many of my brother’s airplanes for him. I basically manipulate the right-side stick with the pad of my palm (right hand) while manipulating the throttle and rudder with my thumb and index finger (sometimes it gets a bit interesting!)
The modification route is another option as hasbeen pointed out. The drawback that I foundin that option is the cost (for most I presume). If you obtain a more modern computer radio Tx, aFutaba 9C or JR 9303 for example, you might spend $200 - $300on that plus the cost of the modification (I've seen estimates of $500 to $1200), plus shipping and any unforeseen maintenance the Tx may need. Unless one can work on the unit him/herself, you will likely need to send it in for any repairs. The all up cost for one Tx could easily run into the $800 plusrange. I currently use single stick transmitters that have been fitted with 2.4 Ghz modules, but theses transmitters, althoughearly computerized ones,are about 20 to 23 years old.
I would consider obtaining some RC simulator software/hardware. If you do obtain some RC simulator software/hardware, it might prove very useful in seeing what steps or direction you may need/wish to take in order to help these folks out.These folks could use the simulators to experience RC flying without risking any aircraft and at the same time you and others could possibly evaluate what they really need to enjoy a great hobby/sport. Ifyou have any questionsplease feel free to PM as Iam willing to help in any way I can. I may even have an older version (late nineties I think) of a RC sim program with the Tx that your welcome to have if you think it may be useful (postage on me). As VP of an amputee golf association that has hosted Wounded Warriors at our amputee golf events, I certainly can appreciate your hard work and efforts in assisting these folks who greatly deserve our attention. Best wishes.<o></o>

Mark<o></o>

AMA63845<o></o>

SPA L384<o></o>

NSRCA 4408<o></o>

N641RM

Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 AM
j lauria

Look on E-Bay there are single stick transmitters for sale.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 AM
on_your_six

Thank you for your information... However, this is not a solution. This is hit and miss at best... What do you even use as search terms? I came up with two transmitters about a thousand years old. OK so maybe not a thousand. But no 2.4 equipment. EBay is also full of thieves. It is a source of last resort in my opinion. I know you are trying to help.

We need a stable supplier of this kind of equipment.

ORIGINAL: j lauria
Look on E-Bay there are single stick transmitters for sale.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You may be able to arrange one of the people who is active in the SS market to build one for you. You can search for "Andy's Rec Room" (it's Andy Horka, not me) - he makes SS gimbals and may be able to connect you well with somebody who can make a custom radio for you. I have other friends who may be able to help as well. PM me for contact info.

You have no idea how badly I wish we manufactured SS radios!

Andy
Old 03-02-2012, 12:03 PM
hook57

[quote]ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Thank you for your information... However, this is not a solution. This is hit and miss at best... What do you even use as search terms? I came up with two transmitters about a thousand years old. OK so maybe not a thousand. But no 2.4 equipment. EBay is also full of thieves. It is a source of last resort in my opinion. I know you are trying to help.

We need a stable supplier of this kind of equipment.

[quote]ORIGINAL: j lauriaJL,

Which you are unlikely to find anytime soon. I've been an amputee for 47 years and "improvising" became a well worn part of my vocabulary. There might not be an easy one size-fits-all solution, at least not at the present. You'll probablyneed to take a small representative sample of the folks you'll be assisting and use them as the scope of where you want to go. That is, will a single stick Tx suffice?Or willa dual stick Tx work in other cases? Amputees, or the physically challenged in general, are typically very good at adapting or improvising simply because they must. You might not be able to define any one's particular needs until you can actually give one a box, a Tx, and see or examine what they can do with it. It's easy to see/say what you thinkthey can't do, but you really don't know until it's being demonstrated.

Here's a thought, why not consider starting with simple three channel aircraft (numerous types areavailable on 2.4) and a three channel Tx? There are a number of options and suppliers with units available for under $100.00.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/3channels.html
At least you get started down the road and you get an opportunity to see what directionyou or the individual would like to take. These are just some thoughts; I think everyone here is willing/trying to help you. Not everyone has the exposure/experience to be helpful, that's not their fault though. Who knows, maybe with a rise in 3 channel sales, one of the manufacturers will see the single sticklight (so to speak)!

Hook (for a reason!)
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

Go to: www.rcgroups.com
Kraft Single Stick series 80 $150.00 SHIPPED to lower 48
Posted by: skypilot_one / United States, CT, Ledyard

Has the good pots. Stored with battery disconnected $150.00 shipped in Cont US.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:08 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: codimasta

Go to: www.rcgroups.com
Kraft Single Stick series 80 $150.00 SHIPPED to lower 48
Posted by: skypilot_one / United States, CT, Ledyard

Has the good pots. Stored with battery disconnected $150.00 shipped in Cont US.
Easier for folks to find if you put the actual link to the threadhere instead of the site (IMO). Just FYI, disconnecting the battery won't prevent it from leaking, you need to remove the packs prior to (especially long) term storage. If the bats leak, the fumes can cause corrosionof solder joints etc. on the encoder.
hook
Old 04-16-2015, 09:40 AM
markj30

I have just started posting videos on you tube of how to fly a radio controlled aircraft with only one hand by modifying a standard RC transmitter. Check out markj30, ( youtube.com/watch?v=hp3um4zpdOc )