Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX8 and 4000 Lipos

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DX8 and 4000 Lipos

Just received Spectrum 4000 liPo batteries for my two DX8s yesterday. Both are charged (finally) They both started out at the usual 7.3-7.4 volts, according to the DX8 readouts.
There is one oddity between the two DX8s. One turns the blue light off when the battery is charged, the other blinks the blue light.
I tried switching the wall worts, same symptoms. Tried partially discharging the LiPos, and then switched them.
The blinking occurs on the same DX8, and does not follow the LiPos.
The same DX8 has another oddity, in that the battery voltage can read .1v low right after it is turned on then jump up.
Further, it tends to read .1v different from the other DX8. While this is not a killer, in terms of overall use, I cannot help but wonder why? (Picky, Picky, I know!)
Since the readout resolution is only .1v, normally this would be within the acceptable limits for a digital voltage reading (+/- 1 count)
Both DX8s were purchased from HH last fall.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:20 AM
electricpete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX8 and 4000 Lipos

What does the blue light do. Mine stopped working when the battery failed but the new battery(a NiMh), doesn;t fix it

Peter
Old 02-04-2012, 06:47 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: electricpete

What does the blue light do. Mine stopped working when the battery failed but the new battery(a NiMh), doesn;t fix it

Peter
did you rest the batter voltage back to nimh in the menu?

With the transmitter power turned off, plug the included 12 volt power supply into a wall outlet. Then plug the male charge plug into the charge jack. The blue LED on the front of the transmitter will illuminate. When charging the optional SPMB4000LPTX, a full charge can take up to 30hrs depending on the initial charge state of the battery. When charging a LiPo, the blue light will turn off when the charge cycle is complete.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The blinking indicates that it is charging at a very very low rate. It's not uncommon, not all do it, but we understand what is going on and it's not an issue.

Factory calibration is to 0.3V tolerance. 0.1V difference is pretty good.

Andy
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Component tolerance in either the voltage measurement/sensing or charging circuitry is the likely reason for the Blinking Blue LED at full charge. There must be hysteresis, to prevent the on/off action, and it may not be quite enough.
Perhaps including information on the blinking in the next manual reprint or a service note might be useful.
The other minor issue I'm having is figuring out how to mix the flaps and the elevator on the DX-8 so that I get a bit of down on the elevators when the flaps are used.
Flaps have independent servos, as do the ailerons. (Might as well use the channels on the AR8000, since they are there)
Old 02-05-2012, 06:25 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: chuckk2

Component tolerance in either the voltage measurement/sensing or charging circuitry is the likely reason for the Blinking Blue LED at full charge. There must be hysteresis, to prevent the on/off action, and it may not be quite enough.
Perhaps including information on the blinking in the next manual reprint or a service note might be useful.
The other minor issue I'm having is figuring out how to mix the flaps and the elevator on the DX-8 so that I get a bit of down on the elevators when the flaps are used.
Flaps have independent servos, as do the ailerons. (Might as well use the channels on the AR8000, since they are there)
If you have Dual Ailerons and Dual Flaps, you will want to choose the Wing Type of two Ailerons and two Flaps. Now enable the Flap System, choose a Switch (such as the Flap switch) and you can adjust the amount of Deflection and the amount of Elevator Coupling.