Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Let's talk DX18 here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay, a quick thought that stumped me for a bit and I got a bit of help.... Make sure you have the same, or preferably, the latest firmware updates in the radio. Don't ask me how this was brought to my attention.... lol
Old 01-04-2015, 03:56 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zeeb,
that's kind where we left it. My radio has latest update. The other did not. Rx was same rx. I bought the plane with the rx in it the only thing different is my tx. I'm done for now. May address it later with a couple reps. Plane flies great though.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Registered my DX-18 G2 w/o a problem, last week. Then, the update went w/o any problems either. Guess I need to buy a new plane to justify it.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Len Todd

Default Setting Preset Failsafes

Andy; To set preset failsafes:

After powering up an AR 9020 Rxer with the bind plug in and pulling the bind plug to set the preset failsafe, the DX-18 ( and DX-9) books says to just "Power on the transmitter." (PG 10 of DX-18 Book and it says the same thing in the DX-9 Book too.) When I read that, I went in the shop and tried that and nothing happens. The Rxers just keep on blinking in bind mode. I assume "power on" means with the Bind button pressed or using the bind selection in the system menus. Or, ... am I missing something here?

When I have a TM-1000 in the Data port of the same Rxer, to set a preset failsafe, I have to remove the TM-1000 from the port, insert the Bind Plug, power on Rxer, remove bind plug, bind, and then re-install the TM-1000. If the TM-1000 was previously bound, then all is well. If the TM-1000 was not previously bound to that transmitter, then I have to do a bind using the TM-1000's bind switch. When I do the TM-1000's bind, it does not mess with the previously set preset failsafe. The only problem here is when I switch back to my DX-9, I have to re-program the Preset Failsafe and Bind the transmitter. Somehow, my receiver is loosing the preset failsafe when I bind in the DX-9 and visa versa back to the DX-18. Is this normal or am I missing something??

In my preset failsafe and normal flight mode, I de-energize the CDI box with a fiber Optic Kill switch to kill the engine. In normal flight mode, I like the CDI cut to happen with the Bind Switch pressed as it is relatively less likely to be inadvertently activated than the other switches. The only way I have figured out how get the the CDI cut to happen is to plug the Fiber Optic throttle cut module into an Aux channel (Aux3 in my case) and set up a AX3 to AX3 mix and set the switch to Switch I. Once this mix is set up, then I do the Preset Failsafe programming. But to do that, when programming the preset failsafe, I have to hold the Bind button down until the Rxrs actually lock on the transmitter (i.e. the LEDs go solid.) If I let the button go up too soon, the CDI box cut does not record in the pre-set failsafe. I know you once before told me that I could assign the cut to another switch, do the preset failsafe programming and then reassign the cut back to switch I. I tied this, but the cut does not work when the preset failsafe is initiated. It works fine in the normal flight mode. What am I missing??

On another note: On a DX-9, I have the flight modes set up to switch B (Three position switch). When I went in to program the voice it showed that I only had two flight modes. The voice would only program to FM 1 and 2. When you put the FM switch in position O, there was no vice announcement. I have another model set up on that DX-9 and it works just fine. I ended up deleting the model and starting over and then it worked fine with all three modes. Somehow something got corrupted. ???

I appreciate the time you take to read and think about and respond to this!

Last edited by Len Todd; 01-12-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:20 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Len, to bind on power up you need to hold the bind button. Otherwise just use the menu option, I haven't used the power up and press the bind button since they came out with it in a menu.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:06 PM
Len Todd

I know how to bind. This is 5th Giant I have built around Spektrum's more advanced receivers and my 32nd plane on Spektrum gear. Thanks for the help though!

FOR PRESET FAIL-SAFE programming: The transmitter manual says to simply "power on" to program a preset fail-safe. Simply powering on does not work for me. Of course, .... there is a disclaimer in the manual about checking for your particular Rxer, etc.. "Power on" just seems a bit miss-leading and I wanted to make sure I am not missing something.

I use the menu selection to bind most of the time. I guess I could also hold the bind button down and the initiate the bind using the menu to get the ignition cut programmed in the preset fail-safe. I may try that tonight. But, I use the powering on with the bind button pressed method when I do preset fail-safes because I know the button press timing and I know it works.

There is a lot to getting a preset fail-safe programmed when you are using telemetry and using the bind button for an ignition cut. It is doable, but there is a definite sequence to follow, specific timing on the button press and the steps are not exactly documented. But, when you get it all done, it all works very well! Right up until you change transmitters, that is. Even when you have compatible transmitters, when you bind to a different transmitter, it appears that you have to go back and re-program the preset fail-safe which is a PITA when you are using telemetry and the bind button for the kill switch.

Of course, I am sure Andy will have a better way to go about all this.That is why I was asking him.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:40 PM
BarracudaHockey

Well despite how many planes you've built, thats obviously a typo so of course, simply powering it on won't make it bind
Old 01-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Len Todd

When I first read it, I thought: Maybe, .... in the past I was doing it wrong and that was why I was having so much trouble with the preset fail-safe programming in the kill function. Anyway, as usual, bench testing proved there was no easy way out.

I do like the menu option to bind, though. That is a nice feature, and I have not had even one bind failure using it.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Len,

Here is the info from the manual - have the Tx and Rx power off then plug in the bind jumper in the Rx. Turn on the Rx then remove the bind jumper. Then hold down the Bind button on the Tx and turn on the Tx. I have found that you need to be at least 10' away from the Rx to get a good bind if you are indoors.

If that doesn't work then check the Remote Receivers and make sure all of them are blinking when in bind mode. I had a bad wire on one the other day that drove me crazy trying to bind it up.

The Tx will say it binds but with a bad wire the Rx wouldn't work.

Preset Failsafe
If the signal is lost, all channels are driven to their failsafe position set during
binding. Preset Failsafe is ideal for sailplanes, as spoliers can be deployed during
loss of signal, preventing a flyaway.
How To Program
1. Insert the bind plug and power on the receiver.
2. When the receiver LEDs blink, indicating bind mode, remove bind plug before
binding the transmitter to the receiver.
3. LED lights will continue to blink.
4. Move transmitter’s control sticks and switches to the desired Preset Failsafe
positions, then turn it on in bind mode.
5. The system should connect in less than 15 seconds

Good luck

Keith
Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
If you have a DX-9 just export and import, you dont even have to program, just rebind and setup your voice alerts
Don't forget to reprogram the preset failsafes when you change back and forth from one transmitter to the other. When I swapped to the DX-18 I copied the model from the DX-9. When I tested the preset failsafe using the DX-18 half of the Elevator dropped down fully. After reprogramming the preset failsafe using the DX-18, then the elevator did not drop.

Last edited by Len Todd; 01-12-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM
JohnB96041

Originally Posted by Corsair2013
Len,

Here is the info from the manual - have the Tx and Rx power off then plug in the bind jumper in the Rx. Turn on the Rx then remove the bind jumper. Then hold down the Bind button on the Tx and turn on the Tx. I have found that you need to be at least 10' away from the Rx to get a good bind if you are indoors.

If that doesn't work then check the Remote Receivers and make sure all of them are blinking when in bind mode. I had a bad wire on one the other day that drove me crazy trying to bind it up.

The Tx will say it binds but with a bad wire the Rx wouldn't work.

Preset Failsafe
If the signal is lost, all channels are driven to their failsafe position set during
binding. Preset Failsafe is ideal for sailplanes, as spoliers can be deployed during
loss of signal, preventing a flyaway.
How To Program
1. Insert the bind plug and power on the receiver.
2. When the receiver LEDs blink, indicating bind mode, remove bind plug before
binding the transmitter to the receiver.
3. LED lights will continue to blink.
4. Move transmitter’s control sticks and switches to the desired Preset Failsafe
positions, then turn it on in bind mode.
5. The system should connect in less than 15 seconds

Good luck

Keith
This requirement is the very reason I did not purchase the DX18. The DX7 and DX8 manual says to insert the bind plug into the receiver, turn on the receiver, Hold the bind button on the transmitter down and turn on the transmitter. Bind will take place. Now turn off the receiver and remove the bind plug, Turn off the transmitter.. Everything works great. The DX18 is like having 2 identical john deere tractors only one you turn the ignition key to the left to start the engine the other you turn the key to the right. Just does not make any since why they changed the proceedure to bind transmitter and receiver on the DX18.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:19 PM
BarracudaHockey

Well the traditional method surely works, you just have the option to bind another way
Old 01-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Aerocal

A couple of reasons I think. All of the 18 base radios function the same. The 10t&18t(tray) radios do not have a momentary button per se. They have always had the Bind function initiated by a menu option. The menu function in all radios just makes them all more alike. T1he other reason you might want to use the menu option is if you have another function tied to the Bind button (I). Its a PITA to remember to disable the function,Bind,then reset the function so the failsafe for that function doesnt get incorrectly set.

John
More true is it is like having a tractor and now you can turn the key left or right to start it. For those that cant remember which way it turns that would prevent breaking the key off in the switch.
If this feature prevents you from buying the tractor... Im just uh... not sure what to tell you about that.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Len Todd

Not sure how asking questions about programming the preset fail-safe got into a discussion on the benefit of having two ways to bind or even how to bind. But, ...

1. The DX-18 and DX-9 manuals say to just "power on" the transmitter, once the bind plug has been pulled when programming the preset fail-safe. It does not address having the bind button pressed when powering on to program the preset fail-safe.

2. Having the Engine Kill on the bind button causes timing of the bind button press to come into play, when setting the preset fail-safe. You have to keep the button pressed until the Rxers' LEDs are lit solid on. Otherwise you get the bind, but the Engine kill will not be programmed in the preset fail-safe.

3. Telemetry even further complicates the programming of the preset fail-safe. The only way I can get the preset fail-safe to program is to disconnect the TM-1000 when I program the preset fail-safe and then reconnect the TM-1000.

All I was looking for was an easier way to program the preset fail-safe when using switch I for the engine kill and using telemetry or verification that the way I was describing how to program the preset fail-safe is correct.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Corsair2013

Sorry guys, I guess I didn't understand the issue. Will continue to lurk............

Keith
Old 01-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Aerocal

Len
Maybe I understood as well. You do need to reset Failsafe when rebinding. Thats normal. As I understand after rereading you want it to Failsafe to motor Kill. Kill is set to Sw I. Having to hold the I/Bind button down until Bind is complete is normal. Yout not really holding it in Bind position as much as your holding the channel in Kill position with I until the Failsafe is set at the end of Bind.
You could accomplish the same thing by initiating Bind from the menu. You still have to hold I down until the Bind is complete.
I dont completely understand why your having to remove the TM during Bind. If it is to gain access to the place to attach Bindplug then put a Y inline. TM in one and Bindplug in the other leg of the Y.
I dont see a problem with what is going on.Rebind the whole system together at the same time everytime. I never use the button on the TM unless Im in a pinch and dont have a Bindplug or a Y handy.
In a gas model Id have the Rx and TM stuffed inside foam to isolate vibes. I would permanently install a Y in the data lead and plug TM in one side. Put an extension on the other lead and run it out to a place where its easy to get at and put Bindplug in so I dont have to dig down everytime. Thats the simple way to do it IMO.

Last edited by Aerocal; 01-13-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:29 PM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by Aerocal
Len
Maybe I understood as well. You do need to reset Failsafe when rebinding. That's normal. As I understand after rereading you want it to Failsafe to motor Kill. Kill is set to Sw I. Having to hold the I/Bind button down until Bind is complete is normal. Your not really holding it in Bind position as much as your holding the channel in Kill position with I until the Failsafe is set at the end of Bind. This is correct.
You could accomplish the same thing by initiating Bind from the menu. You still have to hold I down until the Bind is complete. This is correct.
I don't completely understand why your having to remove the TM during Bind. If it is to gain access to the place to attach Bindplug then put a Y inline. TM in one and Bindplug in the other leg of the Y. Removing the TM allows removing of the bind plug after the Rxers are energized. If you use the TM's switch, there is no plug to remove or emulate. I have not tired the Y. Thought of it before. Somehow, I got into the habit of just pulling the TM. Having to pull the TM is one of the things I was questioning. Guess I'll test the Y later tonight.
I don't see a problem with what is going on.Rebind the whole system together at the same time everytime. I never use the button on the TM unless I'm in a pinch and don't have a Bindplug or a Y handy. I probably need to get out of the habit of using the TM's Bind switch from the get-go.
In a gas model I'd have the Rx and TM stuffed inside foam to isolate vibes. I would permanently install a Y in the data lead and plug TM in one side. Put an extension on the other lead and run it out to a place where its easy to get at and put Bindplug in so I don't have to dig down every time. That's the simple way to do it IMO.
The Y is an excellent idea. I'll give that a whirl and see how it works. I do know that when I use the TM's bind switch to program the preset fail-safe, the Engine kill is lost. I assume this is because I am not actually reprogramming the preset fail-safe because I can not pull the bind plug after powering on the Rxer/TM combination. Also, even though I have done the preset fail-safe programming dozens of times, I did not make the correlation that reprogramming the preset fail-safe had to be done each time I rebound to a different transmitter. Essentially, we have to bind twice when we change transmitters. Lesson Learned: Never count on the preset fail-safe being right when you switch transmitters.

Last edited by Len Todd; 01-13-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Aerocal

Definitely get in the habit of the Y and Bindplug method and get away from using the TM button unless you have to. Once you try it you will be pleased. I found early on that the detent/click of the TM button is kind of hard to feel and its real easy to mash on it too hard and collapse the spring and it will get stuck in. Running an extension off the Y out to a convenient location for the Bindplug is the hottest tip. Especially if your Rx stuff is nicely tucked down in the fuse, wrapped in foam and tied down. I hate having to rip stuff apart just to Bind when I swap Txs.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Corsair2013

Question about Bind Port on the Rx - can you install a TM1000 with a "Y" and a Switch so that when you want to bind you flip the switch then when finished you put it back to "normal" so that TM1000 will work?

Spektrum Rx - just in case other Rx are different

I have been afraid I might fry the TM1000 if I did this.

I always put a Bind switch in all my planes - even foam - and mount it in a spot that is easy to get to. Once I tie up all the wires and secure everything I hate taking it all apart just to insert the bind plug.

Thanks

Keith
Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by Corsair2013
Question about Bind Port on the Rx - can you install a TM1000 with a "Y" and a Switch so that when you want to bind you flip the switch then when finished you put it back to "normal" so that TM1000 will work?

Spektrum Rx - just in case other Rx are different

I have been afraid I might fry the TM1000 if I did this.

I always put a Bind switch in all my planes - even foam - and mount it in a spot that is easy to get to. Once I tie up all the wires and secure everything I hate taking it all apart just to insert the bind plug.

Thanks

Keith
I too am/was wondering, a bit, about frying the TM when using a Y putting the bind plug and TM is parallel. I think this potential issue was why I originally got into just disconnecting the TM when programming preset fail-safes. But, maybe the use of a Y works even when the TM is parallel to the bind plug. Next time in the shop I am going to try it out on my spares.

I only build one giant a winter. Every time, it seems like I have to learn some new things, especially this time as I am stacking the AR 9020 and TM-1000 on top if the SmartFly board and moving the model into the DX-18 at the same time. But that's what nice about this forum; If you have a question about something, usually one of us already has answered the question, or at least done something similar.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:09 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Um, why are you wondering?

We have been recommending using a Y lead and bind plug since the TM1000 came out with the DX8.

Andy
Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For size and weight reasons, I came up with a simple alternative to a Y cable.
The two outside leads of the three wire interconnect cable are the leads used to "bind".
Hanson Hobbies and others have a rather small NO PB switch that can be soldered to the outside leads.
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...act_6mm_v_h=5/
Basically, the switch has 4 pins, two one each side of the contacts. the outside wires are separated
from the inner wire and stripped to match the distance between the two switch contact pins.
The pins are then gently formed around the bare wires, and soldered.
It's not as easy to use as say, a toggle switch, but can be mounted such that a small hole
in the model can be used to operate the switch with whatever you want,
Old 01-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Um, why are you wondering? We have been recommending using a Y lead and bind plug since the TM1000 came out with the DX8.

Andy
Andy:

To answer your question: We do not follow every forum thread you comment. on. Consequently, there are folks out there that do not get exposed to your recommendations until they personally run into the situation and you respond to them. You may want to consider being a bit more sensitive to that fact!

Also, I have been using the DX-8 and telemetry for almost three years now and this is the first time I ran into you making this recommendation, and you and I have had several communications before about programming preset fail-safes with AR9210s and TMs. That being said, with this info having been around so long, why is it not in the product's manual? Also, why is the information on programming preset fail-safes in the manual not even correct? (i.e. for setting preset fail-safes; "Power on" versus "power on with the bind button pressed"?) There is quite a difference between the two statements and it is wrong in both the DX-9 and DX-18 manuals. When one reads it in both manuals and it is wrong in both manuals, one begins to wonder if one has something wrong,even though one has been doing the process for years. Anyway, ...

Thank goodness that you are on here following up with us. I personally appreciate your effort. Your efforts are one of the reasons why I stick with Spektrum, the other reason being I have never had an in the air electronic gear failure that resulted in a crash of a plane with Spektrum gear in it. And, I have had a couple crashes that resulted from electronic failures.

So, ... using a Y to parallel the TM and the bind plug is recommended. That is good to know. I'll give it a whirl tonight. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:42 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Good point, Len. I only ever visit RCU once a day if I have time due to lack of interest and users here. I concentrate on RCG's Radios forum because of the traffic there. RCU is so horrendously slow to load that I get bored waiting for a page to come up.

As you know, out manuals simply do not get updated like they should. I would encourage you to mention this instance via the proper feedback mechanisms (product page user comments, via Facebook, and snail mail).

It is best to bind from the Bind menu when using preset failsafes. On radios like the DX8 it may not make a difference (it could if you have the gear slowed down, for instance), but on a radio with sequencers and flaps and stuff it can make all the difference in the world.

Andy
Old 01-14-2015, 02:04 PM
Len Todd

Thanks Andy. I'll send the feedback thru the system. You are right, this forum has become slower than molasses!

I have been using the Menu selected bind. But, I defaulted back to the button press method when I started running into issues losing the ignition cut on the preset fail-safe. I just defaulted back to the old ways versus thinking about combining the menu selection and also pressing the button, etc. Like I said before: Every new plane, I learn a lot more about what I should be doing! Compared to the old standby DX-8, these new DX-9s and 18s have a Sload of new useful functions to consider and take advantage of. Thanks, have a great day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.