Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Let's talk DX18 here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

The model started out on a DX9 and then I moved it to the DX18 out at the field. That was when I started having trouble. I'll start fresh on the 18. I have in the past used the monitor to solve similar issues. I actually kind of forgot about it. Model building has been kind of slow this past year. Too busy running our 5 events, 2 school programs and the local village.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:11 AM
macboss
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious there are no comments on the HH Bulliten about possible limited range limit on some DX 18 Gen 2. I've had mine for a year and have basically performed OJT range checks when flying. I always run range check before each day of flying or if I should change models durring the day.

I went ahead and did the controlled full power range check with a receiver and servo on a box and got to 4800 feet before receiver lost line of sight to the transmitter. I may find a longer section of road but I never fly that far.

I generally do my on field range check (reduced power) at 40 paces which is more than the 28 meter distance in the manual. I found at the reduced power check I see the control surfaces jitter at about 80 long paces.

Just thinking this issue may have come up on Quad flyers. They tend to go out a lot further than most type of aircraft because they probably have the come home button if they fly past the range of good visible control.

Funny Story: had a guy in our club flying the 350QX quad and lost sight of it. He panicked a little than hit the come home button: it landed in from of him about 3 minutes later. Of course this feature highlights the problem with quads and not maintaining visible control of the plane at all times.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:45 AM
czorzella

Originally Posted by macboss
Curious there are no comments on the HH Bulliten about possible limited range limit on some DX 18 Gen 2.
Yes, as you've mentioned, as per the bulletin, this issue is limited to some of the DX18G2 manufactured, not all. Fortunately it is quite easy to identify those that might be affected, so there is not a big deal and accordingly with reports of other members, HH is taking good care of them.

For more information from the source: http://em.horizonhobby.com/public/?q....VZ8iEQ.nrmvfQ
Old 07-14-2015, 10:55 AM
macboss

Let's discuss range checks. If the use of the reduced power range check is not adequate to sort out this type of issue, perhaps we are dullding ourselves that a full power range check is not necessary. In only 35 years of RC flying, I've never done a full power range check. Never had a flyaway either.

Or perhaps Spectrum should specify more distance for the reduced power range check.

It does appeaar that there are probably very few transmitters with this problem. The bulletin did not cover serial numbers effected. It did say a green dot was in the battery compartment on safe transmitters. My radio did not have the green dot.

I did send HH the results of my range test and serial number.

Cudos to HH for getting this notice out quickly, even if it turns out to be only a hand full of transmitters have the problem.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:26 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by macboss
Or perhaps Spectrum should specify more distance for the reduced power range check.
My understanding is that the low-power range test mode won't test the necessary electronics; that's why you need to be in full-power mode.

Andy
Old 07-14-2015, 11:45 AM
DOC
My Feedback: (57)

I lost my H9 60cc Corsair because of a lock out on the second flight. Total loss ($3K). I sent the DX18 gen2/12ch rx in for a check out, got a clean bill of health. I vowed to never use that radio again and sold it. Now I get this notice in the mail !
Guess what, I will still never use one of these radios again !
Old 07-15-2015, 12:00 PM
macboss

Andy,thanks for clarification. I started uisng 2.4 system in 2009 with the JR 12X and really like that radio. Went to DX18 G2 last year to get the easier program and digital trim on throttle, plus have a lighter unit. Started using voice alerts and getting to like that feature, too.

I've never done full power range checks but now that I'm flying more expensive planes, I can see making that a check at least when the system is new.

Was nice to see that when I moved the receiver out of the line of sight to transmimtter and lost signal, it regained the signal when I moved the unit back to line of sight.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:04 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

Have a DX 18 have set up flaps on 3 planes need to know how to change amount of flap in first position on switch or what do I look for in servo set up travel, rates .Maybe what screen should I use or take it off the switch
Old 08-25-2015, 10:07 AM
AndyKunz

It depends on the wing types. If you have them set up as something with Flaps in the name, then you can use the Flap System screen. This allows you to specify the positions based on a switch. It also includes elevator compensation and delay, which are important features of flap use.

If you have the wings set up as Normal, then flaps are based on the position of switch D. You can adjust the positions using the Servo menu's Travel option. This is a bit kludgy, though. I recommend using a proper Wing Type and the Flap System.

Andy
Old 08-25-2015, 11:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Setting up the proper wing type is really the key to getting the most out of your flaps and the flap system in the radio.

Tell us more about your setup
Old 10-22-2015, 12:33 PM
czorzella

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]NEW Multi-Rotor AirWare Update Available
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]With this update, your Spektrum™ transmitter will give you the option of selecting a Multi-Rotor model type that includes specific programming functions for multi-rotor aircraft. These additional functions will be particularly useful with the new AR7700 serial receiver that should be available any day now.
What's New

While the new programming will vary slightly from transmitter to transmitter, common features will include:

- New channel input names: Altitude, Roll, Pitch and Yaw
- New multi-rotor items for pre-flight checklists
- New multi-rotor flight mode setup
- New channel assignment options that let you customize control inputs for each flight mode
- New voice alert options for multi-rotor functions

The complete list of multi-rotor features for your transmitter is available in a Software Update Read Me file on the Spektrum Community site.
Update Version List

This AirWare release applies to the following transmitters and updates their software to the version shown. Remember to back up the models in your transmitter's memory to an SD card before installing this update.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Go to the Spektrum Community site right now to learn more and download the update for your transmitter.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 02-01-2016, 05:57 PM
czorzella

Deleted

Last edited by czorzella; 02-01-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:16 PM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by czorzella
SpektrumTM AirWareTM Change Log 2016-January-26

Version 1.11
Note that EACH RADIO has a DIFFERENT change log!

The DX6's is different than the DX7's and that's different than the DX9 and so on. Each and every one is different than the others.

Andy
Old 02-01-2016, 06:24 PM
czorzella

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Note that EACH RADIO has a DIFFERENT change log!

The DX6's is different than the DX7's and that's different than the DX9 and so on. Each and every one is different than the others.

Andy

Thank you! I didn't notice that, so I've edited my previous post to avoid confusions.

Carlos
Old 02-02-2016, 06:29 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
It depends on the wing types. If you have them set up as something with Flaps in the name, then you can use the Flap System screen. This allows you to specify the positions based on a switch. It also includes elevator compensation and delay, which are important features of flap use.

If you have the wings set up as Normal, then flaps are based on the position of switch D. You can adjust the positions using the Servo menu's Travel option. This is a bit kludgy, though. I recommend using a proper Wing Type and the Flap System.

Andy

Andy,

the link for how to test your DX18 for the range issues no longer exists... can you get us an updated link? I haven't had a chance to test mine and wanted to re-find the information and test it out.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:46 AM
BarracudaHockey

It's the 18G2 and Stealth if memory serves and you don't need it if you have the green dot in the battery comparment

edit: here you go http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Su...rodID=SPM18100
Old 02-02-2016, 10:21 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
It's the 18G2 and Stealth if memory serves and you don't need it if you have the green dot in the battery comparment

edit: here you go http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Su...rodID=SPM18100

I guess my question would be. I don't have a green dot on my Stealth, and I also don't have a place I can really test this out, lots of hills here.... Should I just send it in?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:50 AM
BarracudaHockey

That's what I would do
Old 04-09-2016, 01:44 PM
CrashMeister
My Feedback: (4)

Default DX-18 G1 software status

I was looking at the DX-18 G2 and see that the G1 is available for a lot less. My understanding is that the only difference is voice, wireless trainer and 1/2 mix rates. Is this true?

Also, can someone tell me what the latest version of the software for the G1 DX-18 is and possibly what it included.

I would probably get a G2 if you could get TX only. I have no use for a 9020 RX. Will sell the one the G1 comes with and take the hit.

Thanks.

Last edited by CrashMeister; 04-09-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:36 PM
BarracudaHockey

Those are the differences. i thought voice was a gimmick till I got used to it and have used WLT several times now.

The software is probably not the latest but it requires nothing more than registering when you get your radio and downloading the latest on the Spektrum web site. What firmware comes on it is either the base or whatever was available when your radio was packaged but I suspect the base version is probably what they ship with.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Len Todd

I like the voice because there are only three alarms w/o it. (i.e. tone, vibration and both) I run telemetry and have a different voice alarm on each parameter. I do not have to take my eyes off the jet to scroll to the telemetry screen and look why one of the three alarms is sounding. Also, the voice is used on flap position as a verbal indicator where the flaps are at. W/o voice, it is hard to tell out there w/o re-positioning the switch. Same thing for brakes and smoke pump when empty , etc. Flameout = tone and vibration.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:54 AM
on_your_six

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is like the motor is a rube goldberg addition to the glider mode. Except it is not good enough to be called rube goldberg. Why do the presets always waste a channel and using two ailerons you cannot reset aux2 to aux2. Who does this programming? 1000 monkeys!
Old 04-30-2016, 07:11 AM
AndyKunz

Want to meet the Chief Monkey? I'll be at the LVRCS Electric Fly on June 4. There are usually a few other guys from Maryland there, so you won't feel alone (you wouldn't feel alone anyway - great crew!). You're welcome to come and I'll be more than happy to show you anything you need to know. I'll have DX20 code in my transmitter, so anything will be possible.

I'll show you exactly how to make the radio do anything you need.

Andy
Old 04-30-2016, 02:04 PM
BarracudaHockey

^^^^ One of the many reasons I use Spektrum
Old 04-30-2016, 02:34 PM
Len Todd

Once you get used to the way things are accomplished, things are typically a lot easier. One just has to get used to the fact that when using the Wing and Tail types, certain channels are typically used for certain surfaces. And, ... if you drop Andy a line, he is always there to help us figure out what he was thinking when he designed the software, even when we are less than tactful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.