Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR 12X battery

Old 06-09-2012, 04:15 PM
roydefiant

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default JR 12X battery

I have a JR 12X (have had TX for years) standard issue Ni-mh hydride battery in my TX that is about 1 to maybe 2 years old. When I turn it on after almost a full charge the screen flashes briefly then you can read the lit up screen and it reads 9.5 volts then after a couple of seconds will go up to read 10.3 or 10.4 volts. Is this an indication of a problem with my transmitter or my battery?

Thanks Roy
Old 06-10-2012, 01:36 AM
slarty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR 12X battery

Battery. The reason why it shows low at switch on is that the RF section is being very active. After a few seconds the RF output drops slightly (happens on all systems that I have looked at) and the current consumption drops off as well. This allows the Voltage to rise.

Give the battery a good charge.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Battery is toast....

JR decided in their infinite wisdom, to increase the output of the stock charger from 11.6 volts to 12.0 volts and it'll cook the battery.

Suggest you look to places like NoBS and other vendors who will put Eneloop cells in the cassette and Horizon sells a number of walwarts which only put out the more common 11.6 volts. Do NOT charge the new cells 'till they get hot, warm is fine hot is not. The very low self discharge rate of the Eneloop cells is great and buying those will cost you about 1/2 of what a new JR pack will cost.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:06 AM
dougclind

Ok, I'll jump in with a question. I've had my 12X for almost 3 years. I don't use their charger. I've been using my lipo chargers, a Bantam DC6 or DC8dx, and set it to NIMH. I bought a compatible plug from Radio Shack to make a charging cord. I've been setting it to .3 Amps because it seems like that's what their trickle charger was doing. But after trying to read up on NIMH charging I thought it would probably be safe to charge at 1 Amp or even 2.2 Amps (the 1C rate). It takes a lot less time and that's what I've done the last couple of times I've charged, i.e. charging at 1 Amp. I don't open the batt compartment to feel the battery temp but I'm pretty sure it stays cool.

Anyone have any thoughts on charge rates for these things? (And why didn't they just use off-the-shelf LIPO's instead of a custom designed NIMH!!!)
Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

High capacity (anything 1650mah and over) NiMH cells particularly the AA size do not like being rapidly charged. The only reason your pack lasted as long as it did was the .3 amp charge rate.

http://www.hangtimes.com/rcbattery_faq.html

It only took the factory charger about 4 months to ruin the battery in my 12X resulting in two trips to Horizon. I've run Eneloops in it now for about 3 years and couldn't be happier, but I never charge 'em over 1/10C.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 AM
zdsh13

I gave up on the NimH battery and installed a Hyperion LiFe 2300mah, works great. I was able to use the NiMh mount and charge through the charge jack. Enough capacity for the weekend and I can charge it and a month later its still fully charged.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM
dougclind

I've done a couple of searches for that Hyperion LiFe 2300mah. Where did you get it?

@zeeb, my first battery also only lasted a couple of months. The one in there now has lasted over 2 years. I'm continuing to charge it at 1.5 amps for the moment. At this point I don't care if it fails, I just want to see for myself how long it will last at the .7C rate. It charges up nicely right now and I've been doing this for a few months.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:07 PM
zdsh13

Sorry, its actually a 2100mah, I added some links.

http://www.rclipos.com/Hyperion_Transmitter.htm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1098471&page=3