Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Flaperons - DX7 Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
WI53072

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaperons - DX7 Setup

Guys,

Bear with me I am new at this. I would like to deploy my ailerons as flaps on final approach when setting up to land. Nothing extreme, maybe 35% just as a means to assist me in bleeding off some excess speed. I am running DS821 servos on each aileron. I have set the right aileron to the aileron channel on the rx and the left aileron to the aux1 rx channel.

I have in pmix 5 slaved aux1 to aileron. I have adjusted the trim and set the travel at norm to 0, mid switch at down 35 and the last postion at 50 down. I have set the wing type to flapperon.

What I get is both ailerons deflecting down with the flap switch, and only the (left) aux1 to deflect up and down normally with the flapperon deployed. The right aileron hooked up to the aileron channel deflects downward with the flap switch but does not function like an aileron. If I change the wing type back by changing the flapperon to INH then Both ailerons work normally but no flapperons. Which does make sense to me.

What should I check with my set-up so that I can have the flapperon's working properly? What I would like is:

With the flap switch in the "normal" position both ailerons work as they normally would. When I toggle the flap switch to the first position the ailerons both deploy downward to 35% just a small amount like stated before to slow the plane down. However, I would like both the ailerons to work normally with the flapperon deployed.

Sure hope someone can help, as it seems I missed a setting somwhere to make this happen.

Best Regards

Paul
Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Flaperons - DX7 Setup

ORIGINAL: WI53072

Guys,

Bear with me I am new at this. I would like to deploy my ailerons as flaps on final approach when setting up to land. Nothing extreme, maybe 35% just as a means to assist me in bleeding off some excess speed. I am running DS821 servos on each aileron. I have set the right aileron to the aileron channel on the rx and the left aileron to the aux1 rx channel.

I have in pmix 5 slaved aux1 to aileron. I have adjusted the trim and set the travel at norm to 0, mid switch at down 35 and the last postion at 50 down. I have set the wing type to flapperon.

What I get is both ailerons deflecting down with the flap switch, and only the (left) aux1 to deflect up and down normally with the flapperon deployed. The right aileron hooked up to the aileron channel deflects downward with the flap switch but does not function like an aileron. If I change the wing type back by changing the flapperon to INH then Both ailerons work normally but no flapperons. Which does make sense to me.

What should I check with my set-up so that I can have the flapperon's working properly? What I would like is:

With the flap switch in the ''normal'' position both ailerons work as they normally would. When I toggle the flap switch to the first position the ailerons both deploy downward to 35% just a small amount like stated before to slow the plane down. However, I would like both the ailerons to work normally with the flapperon deployed.

Sure hope someone can help, as it seems I missed a setting somwhere to make this happen.

Best Regards

Paul
The Flapperon Wing Type mixes the Aileron Ch with Aux1. The Ailerons will respond to the Flap Knob or Switch. Flap System allows you to set the degree of Flap Deployment and also how much Elevator Coupling you require. You do not need an additional Pmix. Perhaps that is the problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts

What airplane? If the ailerons are out on the wing tips and not full span, don't do it.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 AM
WI53072

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I have the problem solved thanks to Codimasta!! Thanks Codi!

The fix was:

1. Make flaperons INH

2. Go to pmix1 and make the flaps (Aux1) master and ailerons slave

3. Set values to +100 +100

By setting up pmix1 in this fashion my flap switch now directs the ailerons to drop by whatever my set-up dictates. I will be using 0 as my begining number, 20 as my middle switch position and 35 as my land position (these deflections are very small). I am just trying to slow down and get use to how flaps react on a plane since I have never used them. I have not put in any elevator copensation as of yet because i do not know how much each flap setting will cause this plane to "nose-up" just yet. I can determine the down elevator offset based on my flight test at an considerble altitude and at low throttle. If the plane acts eratic, i.e. tip stall then I will abandon the idea and make pmix1 INH again.

As far as the ailerons being "Barndoor" I measured them and they are 2/3 the length of each wing half. If they were really short, then yes, no way. I will be sure to be at a considerable altitude and at low throttle when I test this for the first time. I will write back and let you know what I have learned. I really like the DX7 and the more I play around with it the more I am begining to appreciate all the different things it can do.

Paul