Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Specktrum GPS question

Old 11-08-2012, 10:52 AM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Specktrum GPS question

Installed a Spektrum GPS unit in my BD-5 several weeks ago to use with my DX-18 and love it. It records top speed, gives a current speed readout, altitude and heading along with Latitude and Longitude.

As long as you leave the TX on after landing you can turn the RX in the plane off and the TX will still display all the last recorded telemetry. My question is the use of the Lat & Longitude. When i input those numbers into google maps or google earth my location winds up some where in China. Heck it even put me in Kashmir once. Guys that is a lOOOOOOOOONG way from eastern North Carolina. I dont think is the GPS but the way i might be entering the numbers or the way the programs interpret my input.

Need some advice about what I am doing incorrectly. I had a plane go down deep into some woods a few months back and it was almost 2 weeks later before my flying bud happened on it. I was looking at having the last recorded Lat and Long as a great feature to have to help in recovering a plane if that happens again. But I dang sure ain't gonna go to Kashmir to look for one.

thanks!!!!
mike
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Specktrum GPS question

The values shown will work on Google Maps. You need to be sure you enter the sign properly.

NC is going to have positive latitude and negative longitude numbers.

Like this, in the Charlotte area: 35.254591,-81.054611

A quick test by removing the negative in front of the 81 put me in the Himalayas. I'm sure this is the problem.

Andy