Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR R921 RX Bind

Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JR R921 RX Bind

I have been using the original red case 921 2.4 rx, and the R7000's. All great. Purchased the black case R921 - 2.4 about 15 - 18 months ago, just got it out to install new plane. I believe the instructions say to pull the bind plug out, while it is still flashing, then bind.

Am I right here ? Can it be done either way ? Leave in until bind is complete ? Going in my first gasser, gotta make it right.

Thanks,

Crank
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts
Default RE: JR R921 RX Bind

Either way. Pull it out while its flashing and bind it and the fail safe positions are what the sticks/switches are in when you bind. It's called smart bind.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:35 PM
crankpin

Thanks Andy.

Crank
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

So the R7000 has only one Failsafe? On my Spectum Rxers, there are two failsafes and they both have diferent conditions that casue them to function.Binding with the light flashing and bind jumper pulled out sets the Preset Failsafe. Binding with the light flashing and bind jumper still in place sets the SmartSafe.

SmartSafe

SmartSafe is automatically selected during the standard binding procedure and is
ideal for electric aircraft as well as most gas- and glow-powered aircraft.

How SmartSafe Works
When the Receiver is Powered On without a Transmitter Signal
If you turn on the Rxer before you turn on the transmitter, SmartSafe prevents the
throttle from functioning and drives all other channels to their preset positions.

When there is a Loss of Signal in Flight

If the receiver loses the transmitter’s signal in flight, or any other time after a
successful connection has been made, SmartSafe sets the throttle to the position it
was in during the binding process. All other channels hold the positions they were in
at signal loss.

How to Program the Receiver for SmartSafe

Simply move the throttle to a desired in-flight failsafe position (typically this is all the
way back) and bind the receiver to the transmitter. Leave the bind plug in the receiver
during the entire binding process. Remove the bind plug only after a connection has
been made and the controls are functioning normally.

Preset Failsafe

Preset Failsafe allows you to set the specific control positions for all channels to go
to should you encounter signal loss in flight or at any other time after a successful
Connection has been made. Preset failsafe is typically used to prevent fly-aways
in high-performance models by deploying spoilers in sailplanes or putting gas- and
glow-powered models into a slight turn at reduced throttle.

How to Program Preset Failsafe Settings

Insert the bind plug and power on the receiver. When the receiver’s LED lights begin
to blink indicating it is in bind mode, remove the bind plug before binding the
transmitter to the receiver. The LED lights on the receiver continue to blink. Move
your transmitter’s control sticks and switches to the desired Preset Failsafe positions
then turn it on in bind mode. The system should connect in less than 15 seconds.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 AM
crankpin

Len - Andy, Thanks for info. I just posted this for Battery Backer Info. Need advise.
Thanks
Crankn
================================================== ================================================== =================================================

JR921 RX. Thought I had it made. First time to bind thru the Battery Backer, I need some info. I am set up with two 2150 mah Ni-Mih's, two switch harness', to the BB, then the single power from the BB to the receiver.

Insert bind plug to the main, or to main and backup, go with backup off, and/or with both powered up. Not binding with the BB in-line. Switch harness direct to the receiver, bind OK. I am on to the final bind after all servos in, etc.

Is it safe to just bind without the BB, then hook it in ? Advice appreciated, before I call EMS.

Thanks,

Crank
Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 PM
BarracudaHockey

Once its bound its bound.

The only place you can bind is with the bind plug inserted into the bind port, or with a bind plug attached to a 3 wire wiring harness to the bind port. Spektrum/JR switches have 3 wires, not all switches do. Same with any down stream battery share devices.

But like I said, you can stick a bind plug into the bind port, a 4 cell battery into any servo port, bind and you're done.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:16 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Bind through a 3 wire DSC compatible switch Harness (JR or MPI), however, if you have a Voltage Regulator connected between the Switch Harness and the Rx, you cannot Bind through the Switch Harness. When I used 2cell LiPo Rx batteries, I used a Voltage Regulator and thus I had to connect a Y Harness to the Bat port on the Rx, connect the Switch Harness to one side and the Bind Plug to the other side.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM
crankpin

Andy, Rich, thanks. I can sleep easy tonight. OK, I will do the final bind, then hook up the BB. One more question. Can I just run two battery packs thru the rx, direct ? Not planning on it, just curious. I am using three JR HD switches with the charge port. One on ignition, two on the dual batterys. I bind thru the switches. As far as I can see here, I only need to bind with one switch harness. Also usisng Smart-Fly Optic killer.

This should do it on the question subject, once it's bound, it's bound.

Good advice, appreciate it. I had laid off this stuff for about 2 years, getting back with the program.

Crank
Hobe Sound, FL

Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM
BarracudaHockey

Yes, you can run two switches and two batteries direct to the receiver. Thats how I would do it. Battshare = just something else to break, and an additional expense.

My 50cc gas stuff gets one A123 battery, one lead to the rx, one to the ignition with a drop down diode. Two switches.