Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR XG8 Update failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:53 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR XG8 Update failure

Estimated

I tried to update the firmware version from 0008 to 0012, I see the video and complain with all steps indicated, when turn off the transmitter the system freeze and never finish the process.

The Radio is New, without use, and the SD Card Memory is Vervatim SD.

Thank You

Last week I bought a radio JR XG8, it came with firmware version 0008, on the website of JR were all the instructions on how to update it, and as was the latest 0012 version I decided to do it, it seemed a simple process.
Download the compressed file with the update from the website of JR Propo, unzipped it and proceeded to copy it to the memory card as indicated in the instruction video. The Verbatim SD Card 2Gb memory was formatted in FAT mode, previously used on the radio to check copying models that give no errors, with the battery fully charged, I proceeded to the update, turning on the transmitter with the function button pressed, display immediately showed me the software version and the new version to upgrade. I accepted the update and turned off the tx, supposedly in one minute would complete the process. But here is where the problem starts ... The transmitter after 2 hours is not turned off and did not complete any process. The only way was to disconnect the battery after waiting another hour, but now the radio control system does not turn the lights after a minute start blinking, and change color from blue to red.
There is some form of emergency recovery?
Or failing system crash updating becomes completely unusable radio??
I would appreciate your help
Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM
czarq

Default RE: JR XG8 Update failure

hi Gabriel

I have the same problem when I tried to update from 0000 ver. to 0006. On the screen is still "now updatung..." for 2hrs!
Does any one have idea how to fix the problem?

Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall, the update video suggested that if the upgrade doesn't work, the radio will require returned for service.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM
[email protected]

Unfortunately, we had to send the radio to Horizon Hobby for reprogramming with the consequent cost of shipping from Argentina.
I still have not received it back, but supposedly already solved the problem as reported by the service

Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only solution is to ship it back,as inconvenient as it may be.
This is the only way to recover if the update software goes amuck, or, there was a hardware problem
that prevented the update from working.

In the old P/C days, the BIOS was contained in a socketed EROM.
When a BIOS update didn't work, we could usually order a new pre-programmed EROM.
These days, the whole motherboard must be sent in, unless the motherboard has a built in backup/restore BIOS capability, and it actually still works.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM
[email protected]

The PC motherboards good quality, have included the option BIOS crash recovery. Which leaves only one option running reprogramming, because if there is a power outage during the upgrade process and the flash of the BIOS is interrupted, it becomes corrupt.
The radio control programmable computer having the option to upgrade via the web, should include a crash recovery process.
In my case it was argued that the SD memory card did not meet the requirements of the radio. Why not JR Propo includes a list of tested compatible memory? And if JR do not want to try other brands of memory, because costs, or trade policies, why that does not include a memory card in the distribution package?
Imagine my situation: I had to sended the radio from Argentina, U$D 180, then call several times by phone to USA both Horizon and the courier by problems at USA customs income, batteries and radios with RF have a special declaration , we add U$D 20 in expenses and then expect it shipped back.
I have one month hanging around with a new radio that I have not been able to use.
Horizon complied with the provisions in terms of time, from the moment he arrived take 6 business days to resolve reprogramming of 1 minute and force me to spend more than 50% of the value of shipments for radio warranty.
Probably these problems do not happen in USA, mailing is economical, and resolution times are well tolerated, but I'm in Argentina and I suffered many hardships.
For my country I would not recommend buying this radio as a simple problem before the solution is very expensive and difficult.
If the representative in Argentina only sells radios, do be better would that make it a replacement the radio on warranty in the event of faulty reprogramming and the inability to reschedule here.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 AM
AA5BY

I can understand the frustration... I hope JR does.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the US, many stores offer a type of insurance (extra cost) that will replace a failed electronic device on an exchange basis, as long as the device is still available.
Having said that, many electronic "toys" come from places like China. Without the extra cost insurance, they may be considered throwaway.
Things like smaller counter top microwave ovens and even LCD displays and TVs are also in this category.
A couple of years ago, I had a Phillips CRT based large screen (for CRTs) HDTV fail. The HV section was in obvious trouble.
The estimated out of warrenty repair cost was as much as I paid for the TV, mostly labor. It was replaced with a larger LCD TV
Shipping costs to send the Phillips to the repair center were also very high.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 AM
AA5BY

It could be the JR needs to consider sockets for memory chips so that the rig doesn't have to be returned for service likely requiring a new board.