Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

New to 2.4GHz

Old 12-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Mavrick 15
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to 2.4GHz

So i have been out of the hobby for a few years (about 5 years) due to moving, deployments, and just not enough time. But recently I have been trying to get back into it. So one day i walk into my local hobby store and ask for a 5ch receiver and crystal for it, and the clerk looked at me like i had lobsters crawling out of my ears. He then informed me that 72 MHz is a thing of the past, and that the hobby has switched to 2.4 GHz. So i went home and started doing my homework. I like the idea behind the 2.4 system, but being able to tell what brand out there is the leader is a little hard to tell. Currently i have a JR xp6102, which brings me to my question. I’m i able to add a 2.4 module to it or am i better off just buying a whole new radio set? I’ve seen 2.4 modules added to the xp6102 but i am unable to find the product to do so. And if a new radio is the best way, what protocol is the best? I’ve been looking at JR's new XG8 which uses the DMSS, but i don’t know what to compare it too. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to 2.4GHz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-Spectr...item4d075860b1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spektrum-DSM...item53ed0e9f75

If the module is like xp9303 and 8103 then the above are two options.  I like Hitec. 
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Well that question alone is enough to start a brand war but let me say as a reviewer, I have the opportunity to use all the major brands and they all do what we ask of them, fly our models.

There's a couple of advantages of a native 2.4 system over a module based especially with Spektrum/JR.
Model match is a feature that makes sure your receiver not only listens only to your transmitter (as all 2.4 systems do) but in addition it only links if you have the correct model memory selected that the aircraft is bound to.

In additon servo outputs are sequenced in response to mixing, so that if enable dual elevators for example the elevator position updates are grouped together instead of waiting in sequence of the channel numbers like 72mhz systems. This fixes the issue of several older radios have when enabling dual aileron or dual elevator setups where they didnt move at the same time.

Also the system processing speed on the older systems just isn't any where near what it is today.

I'd invest in a decent radio if you're going to stick with the hobby.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I just went thru this decision process this year. Many folks are fiercely brand loyal and I am sure you will get many comments. For me, I decided what I was likely to pursue and then bought the type of transmitter and receivers that I felt would serve me best. For example, I figured I would wind up with Giant scale with smoke. I also figured I may want to go with the telemetry. I also did not believe that I wanted to spend anymore than necessary to get the features that I would use. I am not really into having to have the fanciest things as longs as they work reliably. I also am a long time ham radio operator, so, I know a bit about UHF handheld radios. Being a Project Manager from a N-Plant, I also know simple is best and do not count on single failure mechanisms.

So, ... I went with Spektrum.They have remote receivers that are redundant, they are not exorbitantly expensive and they have had the time to work out their technology on the DX models. The DX8s have plenty of channels, work with all their receivers, except a few old ones, have proven reliable and quite flexible for mixes, etc. The DX8 also has telemetry and flight log data displays built right in. I have also used the DX6i on Helis w/o any problems. I am now using 7 channels of the DX8 and telemetry. When I tell my friends about fades, frame losses, and holds(Flight Log Data) &head temps and Rxer voltages, etc. all of a sudden they are not so brand loyal any more. More Spectrums have been showing up at the fields where I fly.

I have used Tactic, JR, AnyLink, Spektrum DX5e, DX6i, DX8 and Futaba. It seems to me that Tactic is just too low level w/o computer access. AnyLink is a waste (i.e. an unplugging away from Any Failure, like any other external module.) JR is too expensive for what you get and the programming iscomparativelycomplex, for me. And Futaba, while it may have been the best 4-5 years ago, it is kind of appears to me as being behind the times (e.g. Flight Logging and Telemetry, etc.). So, I went with Spektrum and am watching for JR to make some kind of big move to bring it back up to speed. In the meantime, my DX8s work just fine, and I have a second one for a backup w/o spending more than I would for one of the JRs or fancy Futabas.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brand is Spektrum.  Being a project manager from an N plant I would be careful.  One letter could be important .  
Old 12-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4*60
The brand is Spektrum. Being a project manager from an N plant I would be careful. One letter could be important .

Too funny. I know that. I must have it wrong in my MS Worddictionary. Thanks for the tip. I have got to slowdown long enough to get ISpell to work on this forum.

I am old and retired, now. I no longer have to worry about misspellings. Like I tell my kids; "Old people do not have to offer up excuses!"

Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Franco2fly

Mavrick,
As stated, this thread could turn into a Brand Wars exchange...  I hear it every weekend with the contenders at my field being Futaba or Spektrum.  That said, I believe all brands have their pluses and minuses, but all do what is required and do it quite well.  For me, I looked at Extra receiver costs since I have accumulated many aircraft (+24).  Many are smaller park flyers, so DSM2 is perfectly acceptable ( Orange receivers are 5 bucks from Hobby King and work well in most planes).  When I want extra features like Telemetry, or better RF exclusivity, I go with full up Spektrum receivers, a little bit more expensive, but still not the price of Futaba.  Were I the builder of a 7,000 dollar super model, I would probably select Futaba.  That's just me....  If you tell me what your interest are and where you want to go with the hobby, I might be able to better advise you.

KKKKFL
Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 AM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

And then when you move up to a 20K jet, you move back to Spektrum

http://www.elifield.com/gallery/20120505/dscf9597.jpg

Andy
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Mavrick 15
My Feedback: (3)

Well right now I have about 7 models, smallest being my GWS park flyer all the way to a .90 cermark f-16. Would I like more? of coarse I would, but I don’t think I would be flying anything huge for now cause I don’t think my wife would buy off on that. a reliable radio is a must right now because where I live I can see that there is a lot of RF noise because of twitching servos. and I ended up crashing one model this past year because of a major hit that locked me out completely. luckily the plane crashed into a soybean field and it only took about 5 hours to repair all the damage.
in the past i have had both Futaba and JR radios. in general I have never had a problem with JR, however i did have a mechanical problem with a Futaba throttle gimble which happened when i was flying. and for that reason I personally like to stick with JR. JR programming to me is not a big deal. I work on the avionics for F-18E/F for a living, so the programming is kind of right up my ally. I do like the idea of telemetry, but I think that all I would like is battery volts and fuel. and it doesn’t seem like anyone does fuel except for Hitec. yet I thought that would be a big one for most pilots. after all most of us don’t drive our cars with a stopwatch trying to estimate how much fuel is left in the tank.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mavrick 15

Well right now I have about 7 models, smallest being my GWS park flyer all the way to a .90 cermark f-16. Would I like more? of coarse I would, but I don’t think I would be flying anything huge for now cause I don’t think my wife would buy off on that. a reliable radio is a must right now because where I live I can see that there is a lot of RF noise because of twitching servos. and I ended up crashing one model this past year because of a major hit that locked me out completely. luckily the plane crashed into a soybean field and it only took about 5 hours to repair all the damage.
in the past i have had both Futaba and JR radios. in general I have never had a problem with JR, however i did have a mechanical problem with a Futaba throttle gimble which happened when i was flying. and for that reason I personally like to stick with JR. JR programming to me is not a big deal. I work on the avionics for F-18E/F for a living, so the programming is kind of right up my ally. I do like the idea of telemetry, but I think that all I would like is battery volts and fuel. and it doesn’t seem like anyone does fuel except for Hitec. yet I thought that would be a big one for most pilots. after all most of us don’t drive our cars with a stopwatch trying to estimate how much fuel is left in the tank.
Mileage computers for cars have been around for years. I just rented a Chevy Spark over Thanksgiving weekend. I could pull up Instantaneous mpg, and distance to next fill up, and etc.. It is Telemetry that is useful.