Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Smoke System Programming Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Planeclaims
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke System Programming Question

Hi All,

Sullivan provides recommended set up data for Futaba owners and advises other radio (JR) users their numbers may need to be reversed.

Anybody out there with experience setting up the Sullivan S753 with a JR9503 who is willing to provide a step by step tutorial?

I'm using a 2S 7.4V Lipo to power the pump. I plan to use the Gear switch to activate a mix for the smoke at throttle settings above 25% above idle.

System is installed in a 30% Pilot R/C Sbach 342 powered by a DA60.

Looking for assistance before actually testing it out.

Thanks much!

Steve
Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Smoke System Programming Question

Not much forJR settings as I am a Spektrun guy. But, ... did you install nozzles or just tie onto the smoke fitting?

Also, you can add a mix will also increase the quantity of smoke as you increase throttle. But maybe that is what you did?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Planeclaims

Hi All,

Sullivan provides recommended set up data for Futaba owners and advises other radio (JR) users their numbers may need to be reversed.

Anybody out there with experience setting up the Sullivan S753 with a JR9503 who is willing to provide a step by step tutorial?

I'm using a 2S 7.4V Lipo to power the pump. I plan to use the Gear switch to activate a mix for the smoke at throttle settings above 25% above idle.

System is installed in a 30% Pilot R/C Sbach 342 powered by a DA60.

Looking for assistance before actually testing it out.

Thanks much!

Steve
I had the Sullivan Skywriter Smoke System in a Dynaflite PT19, with a Zenoah G38, and a GP Patty Wagstaff Extra with a ZDZ 50. I have a JR XP9303. I had the Smoke Pump connected to the Gear channel and then activated it with one of the Levers on the shoulder of the Tx. I then mixed the Gear channel with Throttle, but I do not remember the percentages. It depends upon where the muffler fitting is in relation to the Exhaust Port of the engine when determining what the pump settings should be for Idle and Full Throttle. I had to install some one way valves to keep the system Primed.

I would open the metal housing for the pump and check the wires going to the motor and the circuitry. I had the pump fail one time and discovered that a Capacitor and one motor wire had bad solder joints and were detached. I resoldered them and added some RTV to prevent vibration from breaking the joints again.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was hoping to get more infor here than posted.
I have a Saito 300 twin. I have the smoker stuff from Sullivan.....I would like to know how to most effeciently hook this up ....ie get the most smoke possible.
Can you guys be more elaborate?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Planeclaims

Me too!

Sullivan.com has information for installation of the system and recommended set up for Futaba radio users. I've uploaded the set up link pdf and hopefully it's attached to this message.

While I understand the basics here, before activating the pump and testing the system, I thought I'd reach out to someone with prior experience programming a S753 smoke pump with a JR 9503 or even a 9303 radio in order to confirm my program numbers are close.

I've assigned the gear switch to a programmable mix so the smoke system will be activated at the flip of the switch. I've programmed the pump to operate at 25% throttle, all the way up to full throttle. I plan on pumping no more than 30% of pump capacity because I believe anything over 30% will be wasted.

I've installed a two line system with the check valve provided by Sullivan, 3 inches from the muffler connection to maintain prime. The pump is mounted in the aircraft lower than bottom of the oil tank and higher than the muffler connection.

There's got to be somebody out there that's done this before?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Db85238.pdf (384.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 02-21-2013, 06:47 AM
BuschBarber

Me too!

Sullivan.com has information for installation of the system and recommended set up for Futaba radio users. I've uploaded the set up link pdf and hopefully it's attached to this message.

While I understand the basics here, before activating the pump and testing the system, I thought I'd reach out to someone with prior experience programming a S753 smoke pump with a JR 9503 or even a 9303 radio in order to confirm my program numbers are close.

I've assigned the gear switch to a programmable mix so the smoke system will be activated at the flip of the switch. I've programmed the pump to operate at 25% throttle, all the way up to full throttle. I plan on pumping no more than 30% of pump capacity because I believe anything over 30% will be wasted.

I've installed a two line system with the check valve provided by Sullivan, 3 inches from the muffler connection to maintain prime. The pump is mounted in the aircraft lower than bottom of the oil tank and higher than the muffler connection.

There's got to be somebody out there that's done this before?
It has been my experience that when you are at Full Throttle, you adjust the Pump Speed to give you maximum Smoke and no unburned Smoke Oil dripping out of the muffler. At Low Throttle, you want the pump speed to be low enough that it does not Choke Out the motor.

Glow motors have lower temps at the exhaust port and usually need to circulate the Smoke Oil through tubes wound inside the muffler to PreHeat the oil. Gas motors usually have a high enough temp that you can spray the Smoke Oil across the face of the exhaust port.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Planeclaims

Rich,

No offense but I understand all that! The pupose of this post is to find someone with success programming the Sullivan S753 Skywriter with a JR 9503 or 9303, who is willing to share their set up numbers with me so I may move forward.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

It would be nice to just use someone else's program. I am looking for a setup for Spectrum DX8. I put in the same system but I have not had the chance to program and run it yet. Too cold outside to be froggin' around with an oil pump. But, as I understand it, each setup is a bit unique depending on how you set up the throttle servo.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 AM
BuschBarber

Rich,

No offense but I understand all that! The pupose of this post is to find someone with success programming the Sullivan S753 Skywriter with a JR 9503 or 9303, who is willing to share their set up numbers with me so I may move forward.
I do not currently have that setup in my 9303 as I sold the aircraft. The process of setting up the mix is fairly simple and the numbers will be unique to your aircraft. I originally used a side lever to vary the pump speed and then created a mix to the Throttle. I ran the motor and the pump and adjusted the values in the mix until I got satisfactory results.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't speak directly to your particular setup but I have a sonictronic varible speed pump on an airtronics radio and it is set up in a similer way. The pump is on the aux channel and then mixed to the throttle channel in the mix screen I set up the pump to come on around 25%of throttle,then in the aux channel screen Iset up theend point to control the max speed of the pumpat full throttle. When I first start the pump it takes a sec or 2 for it to prime, then it's ready to go. I found it easier to play with it on the work bench using a measured amount of oil and a couple of containers to pump back and forth from, this way I was able to time how much oil I was going through and adjust from there. Once it's in the plane I fine tuned it until I got max smoke without excess oil all over the plane. You really do need to adjust to the individual motor type, I use 20cc gas so it will not be the same as 100cc you don't want to kill all the heat coming off the muffler. Hope this helps some, good luck.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Planeclaims

To All,

Rather than wait for someone to provide answers to my questions, I decided to test the system by disconnecting supply line from muffler and insert it into the smoke oil jersey can. With the values I entered into my 9503, upon activation, I discovered the 2 lines to the smoke pump needed to be reversed and the gear switch required reversing as well. After that, all it took was fidgeting with the programmable mix percentages to obtain the desired flow from the pump when the gear switch was activated and the throttle lever advanced and retarded.

Re-connect the smoke oil supply line to the muffler and will preform an operational check at the flying field which will most likely require more fidgiting with the percentages to obtain the desired results.

Steve