Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DMSS Telemetry range?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 AM
Norseman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMSS Telemetry range?

Hi.

I have a 11X Zero with a DMSS module and am wondering about what the range of the telemetry should be. With a 831 fullrange receiver the altitude will not update past 90-100 meters. If I fly higher the max altitude is showing when I get down within range again.. Was kinda hoping it would have better range.. Receiver have never been in a crash or anything..

Steinar
Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 AM
JIMF14D

Default RE: DMSS Telemetry range?

Just for info, the Hitec TM goes to at least 1100 feet altitude (distance). It may go further but Ihad no way to test it easily.

By the way, your problem may not be an RF range problem. It might be a software limit programmed in so Big Brother Spektrum keeps you under 300 feet.
Talk to Futaba maybe.

Good luck.

Jim D.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 AM
DougV

It might be something wrong with your receiver. Try another one or call Horizon Hobbies for your JR equiptment, you should be able to get more than 1000 Ft out of your Telemetry signal with no issues.

Doug.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Aerocal

Jim
You seem to be misinformed. JR is not controlled by "Big Brother" Spektrum.They are 2 distinctly separate operations.
Why is it that you guys seem to find it necessary to put a Futaba jab in every chance you get?Mostly incorrectly and misinformed I might add. Shameful.

norseman
Im not using a DMSS system but from what Ive seen it is as reliable as any other. Generally when you have range/reliability issues with the telemetry signal it helps a whole lot to relocate antennas.
AFAIK the telemetry on this system is relayed by the remote? That would mean that possibly relocating the remote back and towards the bottom of the fuse would likely be a big help.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 PM
JIMF14D

Idid not try to jab anyone.

I tried to provide the guy with some info on TM ranges Ihad seen and made an error in thinking he was doing Futaba. I then changed that word to Spectrum because he had mentioned DSS or something. I did not make even a hint that he had bought bad gear etc of any brand or that he should try Hitec.

The reference to a software limit was an input that came to mind and is a possible technical happening.

Lighten up. It is a hobby. Maybe you should try some Hitec stuff as it might put a smile on your face.......

Jim D
Old 06-14-2013, 01:45 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

I did not try to jab anyone.

I tried to provide the guy with some info on TM ranges I had seen and made an error in thinking he was doing Futaba. I then changed that word to Spectrum because he had mentioned DSS or something. I did not make even a hint that he had bought bad gear etc of any brand or that he should try Hitec.

The reference to a software limit was an input that came to mind and is a possible technical happening.

Lighten up. It is a hobby. Maybe you should try some Hitec stuff as it might put a smile on your face.......

Jim D
I appeared to me to be a jab at Spektrum. This is a JR thread. JR sets the rules for JR radios, not Horizon. Horizon provides Service and Warranty. Spektrum has nothing to do with JR DMSS.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 PM
JIMF14D

Like Isaid, lighten up. It is a hobby....
Old 06-15-2013, 09:35 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Norseman,

What is the model number for your remote? While your receiver may be full-range, the remote may not be. As I read JR’s specs, the full range remote units are the RA 01T and the RA01TL. The RA01T unit has a built-in antenna that is directional. The remote may be oriented the wrong way for maximum range.

If you have the remote buried in a carbon fuselage, you should consider the RA01TL with its coax antenna that you can route outside the fuselage.

I’ve been considering the XG series. I’m interested in knowing how this problem works out.

Allan

Old 06-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

If you cross polarize (i.e. one antenna verticle and the other horizontal) the two antennas, you loss 30dB of signal. Three (3) dB is a 50% loss of signal. So,.. When using telemetry you need to get the Transmitter and Receiver’s antennas polarized the same. I usually try to make them both vertical. Also, if you have any conductive material by the Transmitter in the plane's antenna, you can further degrade your RF link., as previously suggested. Getting a good RF link between a telemetry transmitter and the radio in your hands has been thoroughly thrashed on this forum before. There were several other ideas also suggested. You might want to try a search.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Norseman

Thanks for the replies.

The receiver is a 831B With a RA01T Remote. This is the one that came With the receiver. Receiver is mounted in a Electric glider, (foamy) and the Remote is taped to the top of the fuselage, so there is nothing that can Block the signal. Will try a different receiver and see if it gets better.
I have a Cub With a 611B parkflyer receiver in it, and it will give Readings up to around 250 meters. The 611 has a range of about 300 meters if I remember correctly.

Steinar
Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

My Spektrum Telemetry works a good 1/2 mile away.