Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

old DX7

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 AM
sideoftheroad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old DX7

Mine came with a 9.6v 1500mah battery. Can I use a battery with a lower voltage? Reason why I am asking is I want to go longer w/out recharging and is pretty much depleted if I get to about 9.3v. Currently it will charge up to 11.x volts? If say I get a 7.x volt battery (assuming it can also charge up to 11.x) then I will be able to fly longer between tx charges.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:58 PM
jzrf6c

Default RE: old DX7

Look on HobbyKing.com. I've been using one of there LiPos for the last three years. No Problems. I charge it up only about once a month or so.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Aerocal

ORIGINAL: sideoftheroad

Mine came with a 9.6v 1500mah battery. Can I use a battery with a lower voltage? Reason why I am asking is I want to go longer w/out recharging and is pretty much depleted if I get to about 9.3v. Currently it will charge up to 11.x volts? If say I get a 7.x volt battery (assuming it can also charge up to 11.x) then I will be able to fly longer between tx charges.

The radio was designed to work within the voltage range of an 8cell NiMh pack. Without internal modification to the supply circuit using anything other than what it was designed for is a crapshoot.
The net is full of "experts" who will tell you many different stories. The manufacturer advises against using any other pack with a voltage range outside of the design limits.

If you want more runtime you need a pack with higher capacity cells.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:20 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or charge between flights with a good field charger. Capt,n
Old 09-21-2013, 06:41 AM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi sideoftheroad
I would not go to a lower voltage on your dx7. most tx and rcvr are designed and set for a minimum voltage to operate reliably.
if you have an interstate battery store in your area they will build a nimh pack for you at a good price. just had an 1800ma pack for 20 dollars with solder tabs. this will give you lots of flying time between charges. also, invest in a trickle charger. this way you can charge up pack to full voltage then put it on trickle to maintain between flying sessions. will keep it charged up.

good luck and happy flying
pt19 flyer
joe