Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX9 - Kick in pants!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DX9 - Kick in pants!

Stopped at my local hobby shop and bought a new DX9 with "free" RX.
The installed software Rev is 1.01A. Registered, and cannot update, The website
shows ERROR 404, and that is associated with calculating the value for the custom
firmware update down load. Tisk, Tisk!
This is the second or third time I've had this happen when updating DX8 and DX9 transmitters.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:25 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

At times the site goes down for backups, or there may be another problem.

Try again later.

PM me if you still have problems and I can look into the specifics.

Andy
Old 11-03-2014, 08:21 AM
grizzly59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a new DX8 last week. Got the same message. Then kept saying Transmitter was already registered. The next day I logged in at the login area at the top of the page and see I was already registered. Never did see a message that I was registered successfully. Had all the DX's and never had an issue. First time I got the 404. For what this modern technology does for us a glitch every now and then is acceptable.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:32 AM
AndyKunz

Are you registered now? If not PM me with the serial(s) and I'll investigate.

Andy
Old 11-05-2014, 12:06 AM
chuckk2

Originally Posted by chuckk2
Stopped at my local hobby shop and bought a new DX9 with "free" RX.
The installed software Rev is 1.01A. Registered, and cannot update, The website
shows ERROR 404, and that is associated with calculating the value for the custom
firmware update down load. Tisk, Tisk!
This is the second or third time I've had this happen when updating DX8 and DX9 transmitters.
As a follow on ---
When the web site was back up, I successfully downloaded the updates.
Much to my surprise, The firmware update hung, and failed to complete, using the SD Card supplied with the DX-9.
Yet, I had checked the SD Card after the downloads, including inspecting the downloaded files, and they looked ok.
Scratched head, etc. Lightbulb on! I removed the SD Card from my other DX-9, loaded the updates on it, and placed it in the new DX-9.
Wa Lah! The firmware update to 1.06 started properly, and successfully completed, as did the sound update when I selected it!
Win 7 and 8.1 see nothing wrong with the offending SD Card, using the built in utilities. A full FAT format didn't make any difference.
????
Old 11-05-2014, 04:29 AM
AndyKunz

Toss the bad card.

Andy
Old 11-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Recently, one of our club members had trouble updating a brand new DX-9. He sent it in for service. One of the items listed on the repair invoice was the SD card was replaced. Guess the first thing to try when an update goes haywire is replacing the SD Card with one that is known to work on another transmitter.

Last edited by Len Todd; 12-27-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:36 PM
chuckk2

I still don't know what is wrong with the first SD Card! Casual use on a win 7 PC works properly. ????
The SD Cards are smaller in capacity than is conveniently available at the local stores.
Further, there have been reports of China based counterfeit and overrun cards relabelled
and sold in the US. The SD card I ended up getting was a 32G high speed card ($12.95)
that will also work in one of my cameras. Haven't tried it with a DX-9 update, I'll wait until the next one
comes around! What ever happened to Rev. 2.0x ? THe updates are still 1. something.

Up Date: Nov 1.0605 worked properly with the 32G card!

Last edited by chuckk2; 12-01-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:46 PM
AndyKunz

Believe me, those reports are true! I go through a lot of SD cards (physically wearing out the plastic), and there have been a few PNY cards that gave me fits, until I took a look inside the configuration (there are commands to do that). They had bad serial numbers and mismatched controller/memory settings just like cards we had rejected. I don't mind paying the extra few bucks for the SanDisk and Toshibas I get now. Two in one package - one good, one bad.

Andy
Old 12-01-2014, 06:30 PM
chuckk2

It's history!

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Toss the bad card.

Andy
Old 12-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckk2
I still don't know what is wrong with the first SD Card! Casual use on a win 7 PC works properly. ????
If you have not picked up on the general consensus of the answers above; I don't know that anyone has been able to determine why these radios are fussy about the SD cards, but they are. Any difficulty experienced especially with updates, get a new SD card first....
Old 01-17-2015, 12:58 AM
chuckk2

Originally Posted by Zeeb
If you have not picked up on the general consensus of the answers above; I don't know that anyone has been able to determine why these radios are fussy about the SD cards, but they are. Any difficulty experienced especially with updates, get a new SD card first....
I don't know either! About a year or so ago, I had a similar problem with an R/C sound card. The memory card would work, then not work. Ended up swapping a new sound card and memory card.
Later, I noticed that the mfr changed some timing in the newer rev firmware.