Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Flap setup on jr 12x

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:59 PM
bonanzadrv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flap setup on jr 12x

Ok it has been a few years since I set up flaps on my 12x...

is is there a way to adj each flap separately????

I have both servos mounted...same horns on both.... Horn on same spline... Sub trims are a bit different.... And length of pushrods might be a small amount different..

i got got one wing setup just how I want..... Throws and all. Trying to match second wing which has a lot more flap travel in mid and full flap setting...

i I know I was a bit lazy by not seting up the servos side by side exact but can I fix this with out pulling the servos back out????

also am trying not to adj in the end point menu as I don't want to lose servo resolution...

any help??

how do you guys do your flap setups????

i have to admit I have never liked seting up flaps

thanks
Bill
Old 11-24-2014, 03:30 PM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm assuming that you have each flap servo in a separate channel, and those two channels mated together in the 12x. I also set the flap control to flap sys in the device select menu.

What I do then, is go to flap system and make all flap position values "0". Then, I select mid flap or takeoff flaps. I then go into the sub-trims for each flap channel and tweak the numbers until I have both flaps matched and where I want them for the takeoff flap setting. Match the flaps themselves...not the sub trim numbers in the transmitter. I then select flaps up in the flap system, and increase that value until one of the flaps is all the way up. Then go into Travel adjust and increase the travel for the other flap until it is all the way up. Now select the full flap setting and increase the value until one of the flaps is where you want it for full flaps. Go back to travel adjust and tweak the value for the other flap until the angles match.

Setting the mid flap value to zero and using sub trims there to match them will give you relatively independent adjustment at all three flap settings. Mid flap is adjusted with sub trims, flap up is adjusted with the travel adjust at one end, and full flap is adjusted with Travel Adjust at the other end. You might need to bounce around the settings a couple of times to get it just where you want it, and if your sub trims are way out of wack because the arms aren't placed on the servo spline properly you could run into some travel adjust problems, but this usually works for me. The only difference is that I try to start out with the servo arm in the right position for mid flap with sub trim close to zero.

The Spektrum DX18 makes this chore easier with it's Servo Balancing program. You can adjust the tracking and centering for each servo for multiple points along its travel. It's pretty neat. The 12x has it for the 4 aileron setup but the DX18 has it for any paired channels.

KennyMac
Old 11-25-2014, 11:04 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 12X Balance menu (#33) does allow you to change the left flap movement to match the right at seven fixed points (+/-150%, +/-100%, +/-50%, and zero). Before using the Balance, the two flaps’ geometry at the center should be as identical as practical and the end point travel made the same.

The Balance menu screen has the flap adjustmenton on a separate page by itself. So if you are using dual ailerons or dual something else besides dual flaps, you may have to push the PAGE button to get to it.

Allan
Old 11-25-2014, 11:18 AM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the correction Allan!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

is there an easy way to program "crow", flaps with spoilerons on the 12x ?
Old 11-26-2014, 02:52 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are doing it for a biplane, Quique had a simple, novel way for his Beast that was on the Horizon website. For a monoplane, there were several writeups for the Ultra Stick using the 9303 that would apply to the 12X. For a sailplane, there is a built-in premix. What plane are you asking about?

Allan