Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.
View Poll Results: Which XG (6,8,11,14,)do you fly and what are your pros and cons?
XG 6
3.23%
XG 8
32.26%
XG 11
41.94%
XG 14
38.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Which JR XG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:44 PM
MudbugnTX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which JR XG?

Which JR XG (6,8,11,14,)do you fly and what are your pros and cons?
Old 01-22-2015, 10:40 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both the XG11 and XG8. Absolutely love the XG11. The XG8 is very new to me, but I'm looking forward to getting it set up and doing some testing with it this year. The DMSS and telemetry features are fantastic. Until last year I was flying the 9503. Made the switch over during 2014 and absolutely love my new radios!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

While I voted for the XG14 I actually have the XG14E
Old 01-25-2015, 10:17 AM
AA5BY

XG-8

Pros

The LiFe power source and built in charger are great
The ergonomic feel is good
I like the illumination light displaying the state of charging, readiness, range check, or servos off
I like the quick binding
I like the additional trim switches for trimming elevators for loop tracking and ailerons up and down for subtle changes to pitch to dial the elevators neutral
I love the slide switches

Cons

I found the manual tough to understand at times . it seemed to expect that I was upgrading from a very recent technology - there are things that I still don't understand
I don't like that the RF board is held onto the mother board only by the header pins - it came off once- fortunately when I was not airborne
I don't like that the altimeter telemetry volume can't be adjusted loud enough to be heard
I don't like that JR America didn't fix the above in a software update - seemingly ignoring my request
I don't like that the computer logic glitched on it, causing the elevators to go full over in opposite directions causing a crash
I dislike the protocol for selecting a model
Old 02-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Switch_639

XG8

I've had mine 3 years now...

The Pro's are stating the obvious so ill just write down my cons experience

The radio has a every 1min alert for timers, I just need this on the final minute... and worst is it can not be disabled...
I also owned a DX8 and I quite liked scrolling down on the menus rather than scrolling sideways like with JR systems...
XG series is still based on the old school type menu from 6 and more years ago which you still find in the old DSX radios...

Also a larger Life battery would be nice, as the 1400mah standard one doesn't last as long as one would like it to...
Also I quite like the solid triangle antenna which spektrum has on DX9 and later models, this looks rugged and strong...

I am planning to get the XG14 but simply because of more channels which I don't need but I can have it so why not

Last edited by Switch_639; 02-01-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:40 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

I voted XG14, as I have used one and am planning on getting one. the ergonomics are very good, and the sticks move with jewel precision.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I 'voted' for the XG11 because I thought it was a recommendation, not what we are flying. I have the XG14 with no real complaints, but after coming to better understand the manual, differences, and feel of the radios I'd probably prefer the XG11. The XG14 'fits like a glove' but the XG11 is also molded to fit well in the hands; it also has the 'metal' case. It has some higher end functionality that I would appreciate (same basic functioning with a little more control). But I am happy with the XG14 although it is still relatively new to me.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:18 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetdesign
I 'voted' for the XG11 because I thought it was a recommendation, not what we are flying. I have the XG14 with no real complaints, but after coming to better understand the manual, differences, and feel of the radios I'd probably prefer the XG11. The XG14 'fits like a glove' but the XG11 is also molded to fit well in the hands; it also has the 'metal' case. It has some higher end functionality that I would appreciate (same basic functioning with a little more control). But I am happy with the XG14 although it is still relatively new to me.
i didn't see anywhere where it came with a metal case..... ?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:00 PM
dirtydobber

I am new to JR after 20 years using Futuba products. I choose the XG 8 because it allows me some room to grow. I have found the manual very hard to follow. I have read the manual about three times and still have trouble following the sequence. In the model set-up menu you are given the option to choose between heli, airplane and glider.
When you make your selection your next screen is posing a question RF on or off? The scroll wheel does not allow you to choose between either. The only key which allows you to navigate from this page is the control key which sends you back to the My list page. I NEED SOME HELP.
Love the looks and feel and surely hope the quality of JR is still their. My arrival to JR came in a round-about way.
Prior to my JR I had ordered a Graupner mx 18. I had read all the reviews and found them favorable. I received the radio system and really liked the looks and feel especially the color LCD screen. I began the binding process only to find a serious quality control issue. The S-2 switch had zero spring tension and would allow random throttle control thus the prop began to turn unexpectedly on my Parkzone. After discovering this problem I immediately re-packaged the equipment and sent it back for a full refund. I understand it could have been and isolated case, however, I was not willing to take the risk.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:42 PM
AA5BY

To choose to have servo control or not, use one of the left two lower buttons.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:12 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by warbird_1
i didn't see anywhere where it came with a metal case..... ?
The XG11 has this listed as a feature:

• Titanium black plating offers a robust, durable finish
Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Jetdesign
The XG11 has this listed as a feature:

• Titanium black plating offers a robust, durable finish
ok ... then it doesn't come with a metal transmitter case nor does it have any metal in the transmitter itself, just a plating.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:31 AM
slarty

The RF deck is not just held in place by the header pins. There should be an adhesive pad between the 2 pcb's. Has yours been away for repair or something ??
Old 03-14-2015, 01:49 PM
AA5BY

No...mine has not been back for repair and there was no adhesive pad. There is however now a piece of foam glued to the back of the case which prevents the RF board from coming off the header pins.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:11 AM
dirtydobber

After struggling with the set up I got on-line and sent JR Americas tech support an e-mail. To my amazement I had a JR technician call me and walk me through the process of setting up a model. We discovered in the process that my model had a bad aileron servo. This is the type of support that will keep JR on top. I'm 100% confident that my choice of JR was the RIGHT choice. JR Rocks!
Old 03-15-2015, 05:37 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I voted for my xg11. I've never had a problem with it. Horizon hobby's service has always been outstanding. So...........I bought my new JR 28X from Horizon. I trust JR's service will live up to the standard set by Horizon. Since the 28X is DMSS maybe we should add it to the poll.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:51 AM
MudbugnTX

Originally Posted by swk550
I voted for my xg11. I've never had a problem with it. Horizon hobby's service has always been outstanding. So...........I bought my new JR 28X from Horizon. I trust JR's service will live up to the standard set by Horizon. Since the 28X is DMSS maybe we should add it to the poll.
I'd like to swk550 but the edit feature will not let me change or add to the polling options. Perhaps a moderator can add the XG28 to the poll list for me?
Old 04-16-2015, 05:41 AM
takEon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the XG6 as an introduction to DMSS. I didn't expect too much from It ( I picked it up for $89 ), but it has really grown on me the more I fly with it. Its very easy to add a LiFe battery for TX power. The design is really comfortable -- I assume the higher end designs will only be better, The programming logic is fairly easy to use, but I have used JR computer radios for over 25 years. Obviously, the next question is do I go to the 8 or 11 for my next one. The XG6 is a great place to start, so I bought one for my son as his first radio. Lets hope JR America's keeps JR service level on top.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:24 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by takEon
I got the XG6 as an introduction to DMSS. I didn't expect too much from It ( I picked it up for $89 ), but it has really grown on me the more I fly with it. Its very easy to add a LiFe battery for TX power. The design is really comfortable -- I assume the higher end designs will only be better, The programming logic is fairly easy to use, but I have used JR computer radios for over 25 years. Obviously, the next question is do I go to the 8 or 11 for my next one. The XG6 is a great place to start, so I bought one for my son as his first radio. Lets hope JR America's keeps JR service level on top.
i bought the 28X but i want to get a smaller radio for the smaller planes. i was going to get the 6 but the dry cell battery setup turned me off. would you be willing to send some pics of you battery install as well as the details in how you made it fit? thanks in advance , WB_1
Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 AM
dirtydobber

One of the qualities of JR America is that they stand behind their merchandise. I've experienced it first hand. I'm JR all the way.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:21 AM
takEon

Here you go. Just unplug the dry cell unit and plug in a JR type. Real easy. I don't charge in the unit, as I have several ready to go and just change as needed. I use the same battery pack for RX and TX on the small planes I am flying with this radio. I am just trying 2.4 and haven't trusted any of my nice planes to it yet. Very nice feature for my use.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_1[1].JPG
Views:	819
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2090768   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2[1].JPG
Views:	765
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2090769   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_3[1].JPG
Views:	904
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2090770   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_4[1].JPG
Views:	837
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	2090771   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_5[1].JPG
Views:	1010
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2090772  

Last edited by takEon; 04-21-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: bad typing.....
Old 04-21-2015, 08:31 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by takEon
Here you go. Just unplug the dry cell unit and plug in a JR type. Real easy. I don't charge in the unit, as I have several ready to go and just change as needed. I use the same battery pack for RX and TX on the small planes I am flying with this radio. I am just trying 2.4 and haven't trusted any of my nice planes to it yet. Very nice feature for my use.
thank you. do you think that if i put a 4.8 volt pack in that there's a charge jack anywhere on it so i wouldn't have to remove the batts evertime i wanted to charge?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 AM
takEon

There is a trainer / sim, but not a charge jack.

Last edited by takEon; 04-22-2015 at 04:48 AM. Reason: correction.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:10 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

I have had the XG14 for about a year now. While I love the gimbals, I am not overly thrilled with the look and feel of the radio itself. To me, the XG14 is cheap looking by what I consider to be JR standards. I bought mine without ever seeing or holding one and found out afterwards that the 14 is a small transmitter. I think it was developed with the DLG guys in mind since the normal spot of a retract switch is occupied by momentary switch which JR offered to swap to a two position for free. My hands are just too big and it makes the transmitter feel like a toy.I think the technology is first rate, the programming is good, although I am still learning it, and the service thus far has been great. I would get the XG11MV if I could do over again.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:29 AM
artistic-aero

I own an XG11 after having the silver Zero model, its a really solid radio, good layout of switches and logical programming. Battery lasts the day for me and set-ups have been straight forward as is the updating proceedure. On the basis of that I bought the XG6 which is perhaps the 'price point' model of the range. Its light, again easy to program with just a few differences to the XG11 and after upgrading the dry-cells to a li-fe lasts all day. Its perfect for park-flyers, sport flying, HLG etc etc.. Not a bad choice for beginners either as my 9 year old son has no issues with it and he's finding his way in fixed-wing at the moment. Less switches on it (2 position only)and the two buttons on the front panel are a bit limiting. I think compared to the Spektrum range there is a price premium on JR products but I'm guessing the little touches of quality do add up and JR are a much smaller outfit than Spektrum so costs are a little higher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.