Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR NES-517 Retract Servo Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:50 PM
e129745

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR NES-517 Servo Specs?

JR NES-517 std servo
I want to know factory specs of default operational arc/rotation in degrees before transmitter adjustments like end-point, etc.
Maybe clarification on stated Specs showing .25 secs/60 degrees would be helpful to me. Does this 60 degrees indicate servo default end-to-end arc? or maybe neutral +/- equaling 120 degrees total? How does JR represent or consider their time/degree specs to mean in useable terms?

I am looking to know what the best designed rotational angle would be in practice, from neutral to practical end-throw, without losing full potential of torque and resolution.

I suspect this would apply in basic to all or most brands, any info is appreciated,

Patrick

Last edited by e129745; 01-24-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:01 AM
e129745

I have continued to research and so far have not found anyone who can give me a confident answer, sooo.

I'm going to venture an answer to my own question; 90 degrees total default, 45 degrees each side of neutral.

Can anyone confirm this? If a different brand transmitter/receiver was being used might this possibly alter the default rotation? I personally am using JR transmitter and receiver and ask only out of curiosity.
Thanx for any input,
Patrick
Old 02-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Ummm..... one should not assume.....

Retract servos are designed for mechanical retracts. They are NOT proportional nor travel adjustable, you get a 180 degree arc and that's it. No trim, no sub trim, no end point adjustment.

The other thing is that the NES-517 is WAY old, it's not even on JR or Horizon's discontinued websites. Suggest you find something else.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:03 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know, the 517 is NOT a retract servo. max travel would be about 60 degrees either side of center, normal travel (with your JR transmitter set to 100% throw) is probably around 45 degrees either side of center. At least the ones I've had are like that.

It's not a bad servo, provided you're using it for what it was intended for - it's just a garden variety, standard sized, sport servo.

the "XX sec/60 degree" speed spec is an attempt to somewhat standardize servo rotational speed measurements. Used to be, you'd see ".1 sec" without any degrees. Which really didn't tell you much - the servo MAY move across it's whole range in 0.1 seconds, or it MAY move about 5 degrees in 0.1 seconds.. the per 60 degree part actually defines a rotational speed - after all, the highway speed limits aren't "65 miles" - they're "65 miles per hour" or whatever..
Old 02-01-2015, 11:36 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fizzwater2 beat me to the punch. To quote JR brochure, "The 517 is virtually identical to the 507 except it includes a ball bearing on the final output gear. . . . " There was a 513 retract servo that had the same case dimensions.

Allan
Old 02-01-2015, 03:11 PM
e129745

Yes, the 517 is not a retract servo, I did a copy/paste to originate this post from a previous post I started on a different sight concerning the 791 which is a retract servo, turns out it is the modern typical 160 degrees vs past 180. I wasn't able to figure out how to delete or edit this post title after I pulled the trigger. Sorry for the confusion.

A side note I'm not strong enough not to share, I see that above Zeeb spelled assume correctly, but that's about the only value I'm seeing with his reply. Google search isn't that sophisticated. JR and Horizon were likely hit 1 and 2 before several hours worth including several lame phone calls long distance. Servocity doesn't deal with JR, JR Americas uses the same web pages I have access to, so no advantage there either, etc., etc. And "WAY old"? wasn't trolling for a kids opinion. Thanx anyway for sharing your assumptions Zeeb.

There must be tons of this servo in service and I suspect the operational rotation in degrees isn't top secret anymore. I measure 45 degrees +/- from neutral with with my settings at default as far as my Tx is concerned. Wanted an unadulterated number. Thanks to fizzwater2, that sounds like 2 votes for 90 degrees total. I expected more, but I'll take it.
Yes, the 517 is an analog sport variety that appeared to be std issue with JR non-heli/ground systems and arrived in std air packs for many years and has a single ball bearing on the output shaft. I find it very good for a std servo.

Let me share a valuable response I received from a similar post I put up concerning company stated servo specifications in general, along with the same request for JRs 517 arc specs;

General Servo Spec Clarification, also JR NES-517 default degrees of rotation dated 1/23/15
Baronbrian replies,

Hi Patrick, JR measures servo speed from a stopped position thru a 60° arc. This is important, as it accounts for how fast a servo accererates from a stopped position to a new one. Coreless servos can do this much better than cored units, and therefore score better. some other companies measure speeds "on the fly" meaning that the servo is already moving at full speed when the arc is starting to be timed. this leads to faster times, and on paper diminishes some of the coreless advantage since it has less mass and accelerates faster. I used .25 sec 517 servos in .60 size planes in the 90's such as Goldberg Extra 300 and similar, and in my opinion it was as fast as some other brand's servos rated at .21/60° because the other brand was measuring not from stopped position. Hope this gives a little insight.
Brian

Thanks for the information you've given,
Patrick

Last edited by e129745; 02-01-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by e129745
A side note I'm not strong enough not to share, I see that above Zeeb spelled assume correctly, but that's about the only value I'm seeing with his reply. Google search isn't that sophisticated. JR and Horizon were likely hit 1 and 2 before several hours worth including several lame phone calls long distance. Servocity doesn't deal with JR, JR Americas uses the same web pages I have access to, so no advantage there either, etc., etc. And "WAY old"? wasn't trolling for a kids opinion. Thanx anyway for sharing your assumptions Zeeb.
Hmm... As you noted; you labeled the servo as a retract. I was just trying to help but I can see that from your what, 6 posts and attitude? You're 'gonna go far boy. Let me know when you need some turbine help, in the meantime I won't bother to respond to anymore of your posts.

No wait; I won't respond to any requests, that makes it easy. I'm sure you won't miss me.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:11 AM
e129745

To all, especially Zeeb,
I am sorry for having such a disagreeable snottiness in response to Zeebs offer to help. I am having a specially terrible day, bad news received and I regret taking it out on anyone.
Zeeb, I ask for you to forgive me. May I try to make it up to you in some way? I would like to take back my words, they are empty and meaningless and hurtful.

I'm sure you are a fine person and knowledgeable with our hobby, as well as anyone. I thought I was the first one to roll my eyes when I see this kind of sarcasm, now I too am guilty of it.

My apologies, and I truly mean this,

Patrick