Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR 11X - 4 Flap Set up

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:20 AM
DennisS
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 11X - 4 Flap Set up

Is there a way to set up 4 independent servos on my radio? Need 4 servos on my Stuka
Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If by "4 independent servos" you mean that you have four flaps and you want each driven by its own servo using a common flap command, definitely yes. In fact if you want the inner flaps to act differently than the outer set, it can be done. However if each flap is to have its own DEVICE controller, i.e., its own transmitter slider or switch, then it is going to be difficult if not impossible.

The first two scenarios will require use of program mixes. You’ll have to be more specific how you want the flaps to operate. While I’m familiar with the Stuka, I’m not certain about its wing design. Does it have four flaps and two ailerons? Or is it using its ailerons as flaperons? 
Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 01-28-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:17 PM
DennisS

Sorry for any confusion. I'm building a Ziroli Stuka that has 4 flap servos. Ideally I'd like to have all four deployed at the same time with the use of the two position flap switch. They will deploy at the same amount. Hope this makes sense, if not, let me know.
Dennis
Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 PM
AWorrest

There is more than one way of accomplishing what you want. I would recommend that you use the built-in FLAP SYSTEM. This requires a three-position switch be used. The advantages of using the FLAP SYSTEM aside from having three flap positions are that it incorporates program mixes for the flaps, elevator and aileron that you may need in one menu. It also has options such as delays, auto throttle and TRIM-IN that would be hard to duplicate.

But if you wish to use a two-position switch, it can be done.

Before suggesting a setup, let me know if you would be willing to use the FLAP SYSTEM. Also, does your flap servo travel have to go from one extreme position to the other to obtain full flap travel or can they just travel from neutral to an extreme position.

Allan
Old 01-29-2015, 06:16 AM
DennisS

Allan, using the three position flap switch would be perfect. I am fine using the FLAP SYSTEM. Also, I believe traveling from neutral to one extreme position would be fine. Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dennis
Old 01-30-2015, 02:34 AM
AWorrest

Dennis,

If your plane has actual flaps, use the NORMAL wing plan. If you choose the FLAPERON wing, the transmitter will not allow you to program the flaps. So, if you are starting out with a fresh memory slot, choose the NORMAL wing in the initial setup process. If you have already started the programming, go to the WING TYPE menu in the System List.

There you choose NORMAL for WING. On the bottom of the same menu is where you pair up channels. Choose a channel to be paired with the aileron and another channel to be paired with the flap. Since a Stuka doesn’t have retract landing gear, I would suggest you mate the GEAR channel to the AILERON channel and mate the AUX2 channel to the FLAP. With the 11X you don’t have to INH any channels in the DEVICE SELECT before doing the pairing in the WING TYPE menu, as you had to do with the 9503 or 12X. Also, don’t be intimated by the dual/mate function in the menu. It is nothing more than a set of program mixes where you only have to enter the slave channel. In that dual/mate makes two channels respond properly as one to a common input device makes it more powerful than the normal program mix.

If you activated the TRIM for the aileron in dual/mate, that trim will move both ailerons in a flap-like motion. If you activated the TRIM for the flap in dual/mate, trim here will move both flaps in an aileron-like motion. I would suggest you leave both trims INH initially. When you have completed the dual/mate, you will have set up four out of the six wing channels.

The second set of flap channels will require additional programming. Go to the DEVICE SELECT. In order to use a nine-channel receiver, you will have to use AUX3 and AUX4 for the second set of flaps. Set the [OUT] for both AUX3 and AUX4 to INH. This is done so the [DEVICE] for these channels won’t affect them. Two program mixes will make them slaves to the flap channel. While in the DEVICE SELECT menu, check that the FLAP [OUT] is set to SYS. The switch that you chose for the FLAP [DEVICE] will be the "flap switch" that controls all four flaps.

Set up two normal program mixes with FLAP as the master channel. For the MASTER-INCLUDE, set the FLAP SYS attribute to ON. Whether or not the TRIM is ON is your choice. I would probably leave it OFF. In one mix set the slave channel to AUX3 and in the other program mix set the slave to AUX4. In both mixes set both POS0 rates to +100%, set the OFFSET as zero, and THRO STK as INH. None of the SW SEL conditions should be set ON. Depending on how the servos for AUX3 and AUX4 are mounted and their linkages to the flaps are made, either AUX3 or AUX4 travel will probably have to be reversed.

The only remaining item is setting up the FLAP SYSTEM menu in the function list. If you have questions, I’ll try to answer them. If you use the AUTO THRO, keep in mind that when the throttle stick is advanced beyond the set point, the flaps will go to the NORM: position regardless of the flap switch setting. When the throttle stick is reduced under the set point, the flaps will go to the position that set by the flap switch.

Allan
Old 01-30-2015, 03:48 AM
DennisS

Allan, thanks for your time and patience. I'm traveling till early next week. Will let you know how it turns out at that time. Thanks again.
dennis