Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX9, cannot get flaps to work evenly side to side (two channels)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:56 AM
TobagoFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DX9, cannot get flaps to work evenly side to side (two channels)

I have a new DX9, trying to set it up for a P-51 with flaps. Due to need to reverse one servo, using two channels, Aux1 and Aux3. My problem is that I cannot begin to fathom how to get the two to sync so that flaps up, flaps half, and flaps full are positioned correctly. I first tried setting the port assignments of both Aux1 and Aux3 to "Aux1". That does drive both flaps with the flap switch, and I was able to get full up and full down flaps to be the same, but no way to get the center position anywhere near the same flap position.

Next I tried mixing Aux1 to Aux3, works much the same way, can get the endpoints to be the same, but not the intermediate position.

Could someone please explain how one should go about setting up flaps using two channels like this so that all three flap positions can be made the same? If I did not already have grey hair this would have done it! What I seem to be missing is how to set servo positions when the flap switch is in the center position (half or take-off flaps)
Old 04-19-2015, 12:46 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

call Horizon they are very helpful!
Sparky
Old 04-19-2015, 02:26 PM
RickC2

you might try mechanically setting the mid point first making sure both flaps are same then you can adjust the begining and end points with your transmitter.

RickC2
Old 04-19-2015, 05:01 PM
TobagoFlyer

RickC2, that is probably what I have to do. Will start over setting everything to nominal, then mechanically set both flaps equal in the middle position. Hope that is the problem.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:01 PM
joeraf
My Feedback: (6)

Have you enabled flaps in the system menu, wing type?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:55 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Before you can do anything in the transmitter, adjust the mechanical linkages so that your centers are identical.

There are several tools to use. First, in the Aircraft Type screen you need to select a Wing Type that includes 2 Flaps. They will be put on different servo ports than you have selected, just follow the lead of the radio for now. You can see the assignments by going to the Monitor screen. Move servo leads in the rx accordingly.

Next, go to Flap System. Select the controlling switch that you want. The position 0% is mid-travel on the servo (1.5ms). Pick something different for now, anything.

Bind the rx and tx.

You can adjust the left-vs-right using the Servo Balance function. Use the switch at different position and different Flap System values to do this.

Andy
Old 04-23-2015, 04:41 PM
TobagoFlyer

Joe, I had enabled flaps in the wing type menu. Still having trouble getting them synced.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:47 PM
TobagoFlyer

Thanks Andy, I think what I have been missing is that the centers have to be adjusted first with the servos at "zero". I did find that the servo ports were not what I had picked. What I did find very confusing is that with 2 flaps selected, the "Gear" port can no longer be selected as "Gear", but an Aux. port. I have moved my servo leads to the correct ports now, and will try getting everything set correctly tomorrow morning. Hope it all goes smoothly now.

I did not imagine that the DX9, with all the programming features would pick servo ports for me, and not let me use the ones I had originally set up.

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by TobagoFlyer; 04-23-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:02 PM
AndyKunz

Oh, you can use whatever you want. The Channel Assign screen lets you shuffle rx ports vs. functions to your heart's content.

Starting with the defaults the radio selects removes one level of confusion, one less screen to comprehend.

Andy
Old 04-24-2015, 09:12 AM
TobagoFlyer

Andy, when I go to the channel assign screen, output 5 "Gear" no longer has Gear as a selection. Don't know what I am missing.

I had to assign all three Gear channels to "AuX 3" (using three channels for gear, because one main has to be reversed, and I am using high voltage servos for mains, tail wheel servo has to stay on receiver voltage.)
Old 04-24-2015, 11:11 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Andy's guidance is correct.
Setup the TX for the correct wing type, etc. Use the monitor to determine which channel does what.
The mechanical setup is the next step. If the servos and linkage are not setup properly, the flaps will not exactly "track" each other.
I use a servo simulator with a digital readout to make sure that the linkage and servo centering are correct before connecting to the RX.
It's also important to make sure that the flaps up or down positions do not cause the servos to "stall" by hitting mechanical stops.
The TX Travel Limits can usually take care of this.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:54 PM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by TobagoFlyer
Andy, when I go to the channel assign screen, output 5 "Gear" no longer has Gear as a selection. Don't know what I am missing.
You aren't missing anything. When the channel functions in the transmitter took over channel 5, the function named "Gear" was replaced by flaps. You can still drive your retracts, but you do it from one of the functions named "Aux." If you like, you can later use the Rx Port Assign screen to move that Aux function to the GEAR servo port on the rx.

I had to assign all three Gear channels to "AuX 3" (using three channels for gear, because one main has to be reversed, and I am using high voltage servos for mains, tail wheel servo has to stay on receiver voltage.)
OK, that's what I was talking about. The Servo Reverse screen will allow you to change the direction of one of those outputs while leaving the others intact.

Andy
Old 04-25-2015, 04:36 AM
TobagoFlyer

Thanks Andy. That is what I had ended up with through trial and error. The question now is why does the DX9 remove the term GEAR when flaps are enabled. I sure would like to see GEAR in my monitor and servo setup screens for the channels I am using for gear. it is quite confusing to see the correct terms for everything else, but not gear. Is that something that could be addressed in the next update?
Old 04-25-2015, 05:40 AM
AndyKunz

It won't be in the next update (I'm working on that now). You could set up a sequencer and call it GER, and have it just do on/off operation. I've recommended that a few times.

Andy
Old 04-25-2015, 06:24 AM
TobagoFlyer

Thanks Andy. I will play with that after I get everything working the way I want.