Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Transfering model data between two xg14 transmitters.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 PM
Ten Gallon Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfering model data between two xg14 transmitters.

Has anybody had success transfering model data between two XG14 transmitters using a trainer cable. With both transmitters off, I plug the training cable into both transmitters then, on transmitter one, I select Model Copy/Erase, Source Internal #2, Destination Transfer then, on transmitter two I select Model Copy/Erase, Source Transfer, Destination Internal #2. (which is empty). Then, on transmitter two I press the Function key, which has "Copy" displayed alongside it. The message "Standby" appears. So far, so good. Then, on transmitter one, I press the Function key, which also has "Copy" displayed alongside it. I then get the message "Copying" flashing on both transmitters. Looking good. After several seconds, the message displayed on transmitter one is "ALL OK". The message on transmitter two is "Copying", still flashing and flashing and flashing, ect. No data transfer takes place. It has me beat. Have read instructions over and over. Page 66 of the manual refers to the cable being plugged into the XG11 and the power transmitter switch is turned off. Um, this is an XG14 manual. I hope this is a misprint. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:34 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can find no fault in your procedure. If you are in North America, you should give JR Americas or Horizon a call and ask them. While the transfer function is easier to use and ought to work, you should still be able to transfer a file from one transmitter to the other by writing to the SD card and then inserting the card into the other transmitter

Allan
Old 09-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Ten Gallon Hat

Thank you Allan
The reason you could not find anything wrong with my procedure is because there was nothing wrong . What the instructions do not tell you, is not only do the transmitters have to be identical, but the Software Version on each must be the same. (or that is what appears to be the case). My newest transmitter had version 0001-0006 while my older transmitter had version 0001-0001. I updated the older transmitter to version 0001-0006, transfered the original model data from the SD card back to the internal memory, hooked up the buddy lead and tried again. Success, too easy.

Gavin
Old 09-29-2015, 08:28 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gavin,

It is interesting that the transmitters didn’t give an error message that the versions had to be similar. I don’t have two JR transmitters that are the same. The closest is a JR 11X (similar to a DSX11) which was updated to an early version of XG11 firmware and a XG11 with the latest firmware. When I try to transfer files from one to the other and I get a "TX MISMATCH" error message. I’ve been fairly successful in writing the 11X files to the XG11 by using the SD card routine. The files are somewhat altered in the process. 

Allan
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Ten Gallon Hat

Allan
Yes, I agree. The manual explicitly states, "It is possible to transfer data between other matching JR transmitters that have been connected using a training cable." It says nothing about the software version having to be the same. To me, the strangest thing was that the transmitter from which you was transferring the data seemed to think "ALL OK", while the transmitter receiving the data clearly was not happy. I tried leaving the receiving transmitter alone for about five minutes while it was flashing "Copying" but, clearly, nothing was being copied. However, if you changed the transferring transmitters screen after the five minutes then, the receiving transmitter gave an error message. Still, the software update does appear to have fixed the problem so I am now happy. I have an identical spare transmitter to take to pattern comps, just in case. I have also had success transferring data between an XG8 and an XG14 using the SD Card method.

Gavin