Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Issue with Failsafe Dx7 and the AR7000 Reciever

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:06 PM
ashishngupta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with Failsafe Dx7 and the AR7000 Reciever

I have connection issues with the esc to the receiver AR7000.
i suspect the link between the satellite receiver and main receiver.
if i tug on the cable the light on the satellite receiver blinks to the tugging.
cables or services are not easily available here in India so i will have to make a new cable link myself.
kindly note during the esc startup, according to manual it say irregular throttle signal. check receiver
it worked with the esc off and on ... then eventually just stopped

i have a few question related to this.
1.To avoid future misbehaviors, should i directly bypass the connector pins and solder to the pcb of the receiver?
2.what kind of wire must i use of the link either directly soldered or re pinned
3. should i get the antennas extended? will that help?

Regarding my Dx7 Radio, the failsafe did not work whilst the ESC had worked. i switched of my radio while at zero throttle, suddenly the throttle shot up. i reset the transmitter with data reset started fresh. i also did re binding with throttle set to zero. but still this issue continued. and then eventually the esc would not start again, because of the cable link i spoke about earlier.

kindly help and do note that service and parts in india is hard to come across
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2143633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0019.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2143634   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0020.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	2143635  
Old 01-26-2016, 03:17 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You need to replace the ends on the cable. After that, you should use a strain relief compound on the connector-to-wire juncture. On mine I use Plasti-Dip. It's a rubber that fills the area between the wires and connector. I only use a little at the end.

When I mount the receiver in the aircraft, I glue the wire to the airframe. This reduces stress on the connection, also helping to prevent failures.

This shows a photo which may help:
http://www.lakesawyerhawks.org/PDF%2...ndy%20Kunz.pdf

Andy
Old 01-27-2016, 01:07 AM
ashishngupta

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
You need to replace the ends on the cable. After that, you should use a strain relief compound on the connector-to-wire juncture. On mine I use Plasti-Dip. It's a rubber that fills the area between the wires and connector. I only use a little at the end.

When I mount the receiver in the aircraft, I glue the wire to the airframe. This reduces stress on the connection, also helping to prevent failures.

This shows a photo which may help:
http://www.lakesawyerhawks.org/PDF%2...ndy%20Kunz.pdf

Andy

So today i made the satellite receiver cable for AR7000. i lengthened it a little as you can see. the above wire is the original wire. i also heat shrinked it to reduce stress... and now i will add little bit of hot glue to the connector pins where the wires meed to strengthen it. i could not find the Plasti-dip you mentioned... do you thing this is alright? also when attaching it to the receiver i would like add a drop of hot glue to secure it to the connector pin!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2143707  
Old 01-27-2016, 05:18 AM
AndyKunz

Don't glue the connector into the receiver!! It's possible that the glue will get between the contacts and make it unreliable.

Hot glue should work for the strain relief. There is softer glue, and harder glue. You would want the softer type for this. The flex is important to relieve stress.

Andy
Old 01-27-2016, 05:34 AM
ashishngupta

Duly noted thank you!
Old 01-27-2016, 11:34 AM
ashishngupta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOOFILzcmLM&feature=youtu.be I have some other issue now with the AR7000 receiver. As soon as i switch on the power to the esc...the light on the receiver flashes of a second and goes off .... there is no control on the servos....in the video i have removed all wires thinking it must be a voltage error but i was wrong. kindly assist with any help
Old 01-27-2016, 12:05 PM
AndyKunz

That is the typical "not bound" behavior. It also acts like that if you have the ESC plugged in backwards.

In the view you have there, the yellow wire should be closest to the camera and the brown far away. I can't tell from the video if that is the situation.

Andy
Old 01-27-2016, 12:25 PM
ashishngupta

Hey what do you know ... it was not the reversed cables it was the binding... thanks... it lost its binding.... do you think this will happen again and again?! liek iv heard mid flight it looses the bind? is this and early symptom?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:39 PM
AndyKunz

Back when I had a DX7, I would unbind it all the time by pressing down on the switch to turn it on, while the unit is laying on its back. That would push the bind button in.

It's a VERY common problem for the old DX7. That's part of why we moved to the bind switch on the toggle in all later radios.

Andy
Old 01-27-2016, 01:21 PM
ashishngupta

so what to do in an event the binding goes off in mid flight? also could you suggest which spektrum receivers would be compatible with this radio?
Old 01-27-2016, 01:30 PM
AndyKunz

The bind won't go off in mid-flight.

The bind button on the transmitter is only used for binding at power-up. After start, it is used for range test. You could press it and it would reduce your transmitter output power (and range).

Bind is not lost in flight.

Andy
Old 01-27-2016, 01:42 PM
ashishngupta

OK thanks a tonne....i really appreciate all your help!