Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Broken TX Stick DX6

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:36 AM
Love2FlyMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken TX Stick DX6

I broke a stick on my DX6. I'm not seeing replacements available anywhere. I know they have stick ends you can buy, but I need the part that those screw in to. The base just pops in and out of the tx, so it should be an easy fix if I can find the part.

If nothing else, I think I might sniff out a used 4 ch tx and pop the sticks out of that.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2016, 12:12 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just send it off to Horizon for them to fix it. They'll take care of it in short order.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Love2FlyMN

I tried calling them Friday. Estimated wait time of 1 hour. Is that typical for horizon support?

I really don't see why I should have to pack my TX up and ship it out, just so they can press fit a new stick in for me...literally it would take longer to get the part out of the package than it would take to put it on my tx.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:39 AM
Aerocal

Originally Posted by Love2FlyMN
I tried calling them Friday. Estimated wait time of 1 hour. Is that typical for horizon support?

I really don't see why I should have to pack my TX up and ship it out, just so they can press fit a new stick in for me...literally it would take longer to get the part out of the package than it would take to put it on my tx.
If the metal stick easily slips in and out of the plastic gimbal body then the plastic is probably cracked. If you dropped it to break the stick in the first place something else may be easily damaged in the gimbal. HH wont replace the stick. The will swap out an entire new gimbal assembly. They will also inspect for anything else that may have popped loose if it was dropped.
The stick is a little more than just pressfit in. There is knurling on it so it is kind of broached into place.

Its not out of the ordinary to have an hour wait time if you call depending on the day and time. The most efficient way to talk to them on the phone is to use the callback feature and leave them your number.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:47 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Love2FlyMN
Don't phone! Do it online!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/content/...service-center

Andy
Old 03-14-2016, 07:48 AM
Love2FlyMN

It doesn't slip it and out. I had to drill a hole in the old and use a larger drill bit like an "easy out" bit.
I dropped something at an angle that hit the stick, breaking it off.

How much will it cost to have them replace the stick, or do they do this type of repair for free?

When navigating through the phone menus, I never heard the option to set up a call back time. Where do I find this?
Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 AM
Love2FlyMN

Thanks Andy, you replied just as I was submitting my post.

I sent an email to their product support last Thursday, haven't heard anything back from them yet.

I'll check out the online submittal form for the product repair. Then I'll be buying a transmitter case so I don't have to deal with something like this again.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Love2FlyMN

So I'm looking at the thing to send my tx in for service... I'm looking at about $9 to ship it there, $9 to ship it back...A minimum $20 service charge (half hour minimum @ $40/hr), plus replacement parts of their choosing. If they replace the gimbal I'm probably looking at an hour worth of service work (?) and a $30-40 part.. So we're up to $90-100 to replace a broken transmitter stick......REALLY?
I'd really appreciate if Spektrum would get back to my email I sent them a week or so ago asking them what my options are for fixing this problem. Not very happy with their customer service right now.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 AM
AndyKunz

I think you should just google a little and see what others in your situation have had to say... You will be most pleasantly surprised. (In fact, if you search for me saying "pleasantly surprised" you can narrow your search a bit).

Andy
Old 03-18-2016, 10:16 AM
Love2FlyMN

That's where I started my search. I kept coming up with broken switches/ whole gimbals, etc. I searched for your "pleasantly surprised" keyword as you said, and I came up with basically my post, with no extra info.
I wish it were easier to just get a hold of the customer service department so I don't have to go digging through the entire internet to try to figure out if HH will replace it cheap, or if I'm going to get tagged with a $100 invoice to fix a $190 radio....

I'll try calling agian tonight and see if I can find the "call back" thing someone mentioned above.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:22 AM
AndyKunz

Follow the link in this post:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...l#post12105729

(Post #14 in that thread)

Andy
Old 03-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Love2FlyMN

Thanks Andy.

I guess I'll just send it in and see what happens. The way it sounds, I have a pretty good chance they'll do the work for free.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Love2FlyMN

Finally got around to sending my Tx in last Friday. I got it back yesterday (thurs).

The good - No Charge! This made me happy. They replaced the entire gimbal and shipped it back for free! Great customer service!

The bad - The "clicker" mechanism for the throttle stick wasn't put back on. Not sure I like this. I have heard many heli guys remove theirs, but I'm more of an airplane guy. Is this something I should just get used to? What is required to fix this? I realllly don't want to have to send it back in...

There was also something up wtih the battery door/hatch thing. It looks like they installed a piece of foam to the door so it puts some pressure on the batteries to keep them from moving? Well it makes it too tight to even get the battery door on with my (AA) batteries in it. I'm wondering why they installed that piece? or Maybe they mixed my tx up with someone else's? Maybe this piece would be better for if I had a LiFe tx battery? Just curious as to why it's there.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:35 PM
AndyKunz

It's there to ensure you don't get a loose cell.

Andy
Old 04-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Love2FlyMN

What can i do about the throttle clicker?

The thing to hold battery cells made it so tight i couldn't even get it latched. It already had a foam strip on it, but they added another one. Or it was a different hatch altogether.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:23 PM
AndyKunz

Check page 40 or so of the manual. Most likely it is adjusted loose and all you need to do is adjust it to fit your tastes.

Andy