JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX8 / telemetry / VARIO

Old 05-01-2016, 06:22 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default DX8 / telemetry / VARIO

I've got both a DX8 and a new DX7. A buddy of mine has an identical DX8.

I recently put a sailplane on the DX7 and installed a TM1000 and vario unit. The display screen for the vario and the audible beeping when in lift or sink is quite useful. My buddy saw it work and wanted to use a vario with his DX8.

Our DX8s both came with a TM1000 but nothing else. So my buddy bought a Vario. I found out he hadn't updated his software since purchase and had tried and couldn't so I did it for him. We then installed them both the next day at the club field.

Of course, there is no audio, however, there is also no variometer display either. In fact, the screen/display list for activating telemetry functions does not offer vario, only "Alt." My DX7 working from identical components (TM1000 & vario) shows a vario display output screen.

Will we have to purchase new transmitters to have the vario functionality? Are there some settings that need be done to get the DX8 to show what the vario sends?

Last edited by da Rock; 05-01-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:22 AM
AndyKunz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Which DX8 does he have? What version of code? If a DX8G2, did he use Auto-Config on the Telemetry Settings menu?

Andy
Old 05-02-2016, 06:43 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Both his and my DX8s were purchased in 2011 or '12. I updated his a couple of days ago and both report 3.01.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:56 AM
AndyKunz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The DX8G1 only supports the altimeter function of the vario hardware. We discontinued the altimeter about the same time the vario came out because of the increased functionality of the hardware. The DX8G1 hardware cannot provide vario functionality. It's a limitation of the design.

The DX7G2 is a newer generation of AirWare and hardware (same family as the DX18's) which supports both altimeter and variometer capabilities.

The DX8G2 that was just released a week or two ago is of the same family as the DX7G2. That was the reason for my question regarding version.

Andy
Old 05-02-2016, 07:07 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the quick response. It's what I guessed, but hoped that updating software in the DX8G1 could possibly bring the screen alive. If it can't it can't.

In fact, I noticed the DX8G2 a week ago on the HH website and figured it'd bring some of the DX7 qualities I'm enjoying. Ordered a DX8G2 a week ago. Figure to transfer card the model data from my old one to the new one. Things have certainly changed since the escapement era. (Although some days I do miss my Esquire with it's galloping ghost.)

Thanks again.

Last edited by da Rock; 05-02-2016 at 07:46 AM.