Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Audio jack

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 05:59 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audio jack

A flying buddy's hearing is getting bad. We both just recently got DX8G2s and I noticed the audio jack located in the back the other day. So I tested it for volume and it's marginal for him. Setting the sound levels from the default 50 (whatever) to 100 (whatever) works but didn't seemed to be any better through earbuds. Not really enough for his hearing however.

I also tested the earbuds with my DX7 at the field and it seemed to have less volume than the DX8, so compared them both in my shop and it definitely is quieter. In fact, there seems to be something wrong with the DX7 as the Vario sound for lift/sink that is a variable pitch for both lift/sink is the same on my DX8 but isn't for the DX7. The sink sound is a constant, almost inaudible buzz.

Am I missing something about the volume settings. They appear to be on that one Voice Volume Control screen. The plan is to have both the Altimeter and Vario daisy chained and get altitude status every 20 seconds with the Vario chirping when appropriate.

So 2 queries....... Is there any way to get higher volume for a guy with hearing problems? Is my DX7 screwed up with that static hum for sink?

Last edited by da Rock; 06-20-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:47 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Go to the System Settings screen. Select NEXT. There is a volume control there, with everything defaulted to 50%. This is 50% of the 50% that you have on the main control, so upping it here will definitely increase it in the ear buds.

The vario sounds should be the same for both. I suggest deleting the Vario from the Telemetry menu, then using Auto Config.

It wasn't clear if you were using both a Vario sensor and an Altimeter sensor (two pieces of hardware) or if you were just using the Vario. If you have 2 pieces of hardware, you can only use 1! The Vario generates the same signals as the Altimeter, so they'll be fighting each other in the transmitter.

Andy
Old 06-21-2016, 12:32 PM
da Rock

Thank you for the quick response.

Where is the "main control" you mention?

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Go to the System Settings screen. Select NEXT. There is a volume control there, with everything defaulted to 50%. This is 50% of the 50% that you have on the main control, so upping it here will definitely increase it in the ear buds.

Andy
Old 06-21-2016, 12:42 PM
AndyKunz

On the front screen.

Press the BACK button. Look at the top right corner. That's the main volume control. Adjust it with the roller, then click.

Andy
Old 06-21-2016, 01:34 PM
da Rock

The vario sounds should be the same for both. I suggest deleting the Vario from the Telemetry menu, then using Auto Config.

It wasn't clear if you were using both a Vario sensor and an Altimeter sensor (two pieces of hardware) or if you were just using the Vario. If you have 2 pieces of hardware, you can only use 1! The Vario generates the same signals as the Altimeter, so they'll be fighting each other in the transmitter.

Andy
I've got the Altimeter and Vario daisy chained so that I can get the Vario beeps and have scheduled altitude reports. The altimeter software has functionality that sets up voice reports every so many seconds. The vario functionality does not, at least not that I can find. Of course, the Altimeter functionality never included lift/sink beeps ever.

If the Vario generates the same signals as the Altimeter, how about suggesting to Spektrum programming staff to code the vario setup screen to include setting up verbal altitude reports like the Altimeter setup screen does.

There aren't a lot of glider flyers compared to the general population, but every one I've shown the vario in action has said the same thing. The vario graph screen is really cute and dangerous as hell. Providing altitude reports on the screen is something that can be attention grabbing..... just when you shouldn't be looking away from your glider. Yet the altitude is really something you really want to know at times... times when looking down is suicide. So having a spoken altitude is worth as much as having a beeping tone telling you about lift/sink.

It looks to me like there is a very strong case for programming the vario setup functionality to work like the altimeter setup does, and provide a way to turn on a repeating voice report of altitude. If the vario does generate the same signals as the altimeter, the vario software can easily be fleshed out to be a lot more useful. The altimeter voice reports were certainly the most useful functionality of it. The report screens aren't even close to being a safe alternative.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:38 PM
da Rock

On the front screen.

Press the BACK button. Look at the top right corner. That's the main volume control. Adjust it with the roller, then click.

Andy
Amazing..... I've had JRs and Spektrums forever and never noticed. Just looked at the manual for my new DX8G2 to prove to myself I wasn't an idiot............... It's right there.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:58 PM
da Rock

Hey Andy, where do we send the present?

I just called my flying buddy, the one who is going deaf. He didn't know about the main page volume control either. Talk about somebody who was pleased to hear something.....
Old 06-21-2016, 02:02 PM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by da Rock
Hey Andy, where do we send the present?

I just called my flying buddy, the one who is going deaf. He didn't know about the main page volume control either. Talk about somebody who was pleased to hear something.....
I'm covered. Buy a homeless guy a hamburger.

Andy
Old 06-21-2016, 02:07 PM
AndyKunz

I've got the Altimeter and Vario daisy chained so that I can get the Vario beeps and have scheduled altitude reports. The altimeter software has functionality that sets up voice reports every so many seconds. The vario functionality does not, at least not that I can find. Of course, the Altimeter functionality never included lift/sink beeps ever.

If the Vario generates the same signals as the Altimeter, how about suggesting to Spektrum programming staff to code the vario setup screen to include setting up verbal altitude reports like the Altimeter setup screen does.
Do you have 2 pieces of hardware in the model? If so, remove the Altimeter from the airplane. The Vario is an Altimeter which sends extra data.

If you have a Vario, the transmitter automatically assumes that you want the altitude data too. It is the SAME CONFIGURATION in the transmitter. Trust me - you configure the transmitter saying there's an altimeter and a vario, but you only put the vario in the airplane. The transmitter will see the vario and automatically fill in the altitude data. That's why we discontinued the altimeter - the vario hardware does both, and the transmitter knows how to take advantage of it.

The vario graph screen is really cute and dangerous as hell. Providing altitude reports on the screen is something that can be attention grabbing..... just when you shouldn't be looking away from your glider. Yet the altitude is really something you really want to know at times... times when looking down is suicide. So having a spoken altitude is worth as much as having a beeping tone telling you about lift/sink.
You should set up your Custom Voice so you get an altitude report when you push a button, or automatically. Sequencers can do that for you. PM "freechip" and ask him how. We don't need to do any more coding - you already can do what you want!

Andy
Old 06-21-2016, 11:38 PM
da Rock

Thanks again.

Ah so..... I had assumed the Altimeter would have to be present and the Altimeter identified on the Telemetry Settings screen in the TX in order to get the voice altitude status reports. I usually have a spectator or two close by when flying the glider, and having the voice reporting the present altitude cuts down on being constantly asked "how high is it now". It also cuts down on requests to go to the display screens, although when I got the vario it's display was a great way for observers to "see" what the beeping was doing.

I'll be flying later this morning and on the way home will have a chance to drop off a couple of hamburgers to homeless people. At least 2 as it now stands.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:53 AM
da Rock

Thanks again.

Ah so..... I had assumed the Altimeter would have to be present and the Altimeter identified on the Telemetry Settings screen in the TX in order to get the voice altitude status reports. I usually have a spectator or two close by when flying the glider, and having the voice reporting the present altitude cuts down on being constantly asked "how high is it now". It also cuts down on requests to go to the display screens, although when I got the vario it's display was a great way for observers to "see" what the beeping was doing.

I'll be flying later this morning and on the way home will have a chance to drop off a couple of hamburgers to homeless people. At least 2 as it now stands.
OK, before leaving to fly, I tried what you said. And I don't get the altimeter data reported on my DX7. It may be getting it, but it isn't showing or reporting verbally with just an Altimeter connected.
The Vario was left connected but the Altimeter was disconnected and removed. Before, with both hardware daisy chained, the TX displayed two screens with altitude information and one screen with the realtime variometer readout graph. I wish to have the altitude information and the 20sec voice reports of altitude, and of course the vario graph. I get all that with both hardware connected.

Simply disconnecting the Altimeter as instructed, the screens all remain. However, the altitude information on the screens starts off blank and remains that way and the voice reports repeat that there is "no altitude information available".

The DX7 is set up with both Altimeter and Vario activated in the Telemetry options screen.

I have not set up Telemetry on my DX8 or new DX8G2. I believe both my DX7 and DX8G2 TXs are up to date on software and sound. ...like within a couple of days ago

It appears to me that I can't do what I want with only the Vario in the glider. It may be sending everything the Altimeter sent, but it really appears my DX7 doesn't recognize the Vario information pertinent to the display the Altimeter supported nor will it report anything more than "no altitude information available."

My buddy will fly with me this morning and we'll setup his brand new DX8 with just a Vario and see if we can get recorded altitudes and verbal reports. If it works, I'll reinstall the latest updates in my DX7 when I get home and try that box again.

Last edited by da Rock; 06-22-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:05 AM
AndyKunz

One more step.

With the airplane "live" and streaming telemetry data ...

Go to the Telemetry menu. Remove the Altimeter. Go to the Settings menu from there. Now click on Auto-Config. Wait 5 seconds and it will take you back to the Telemetry list.

This will attach the vario sensor to the altimeter display. You can now configure the alarms/reports for the altimeter the way you like.

Voice will now report it properly too.

Andy
Old 06-22-2016, 12:03 PM
da Rock

One more step.

Go to the Telemetry menu. Remove the Altimeter. Go to the Settings menu from there. Now click on Auto-Config. Wait 5 seconds and it will take you back to the Telemetry list.

This will attach the vario sensor to the altimeter display. You can now configure the alarms/reports for the altimeter the way you like.

Andy
OK, that's an easy plan to follow. Although I assumed it should start with no Altimeter daisy chained. And unplugged it.

So after doing the new recipe, the Telemetry list showed "RPM" replacing the "Empty" I'd replaced "Altitude" with while removing the Altimeter from the Telemetry menu. Also, one of the telemetry displays now included RPM info (which was zero as there is no supporting hardware in my glider) and the altitude info is also zero. There was no voice reporting. I assume that's because the Variometer setup screen doesn't have anywhere to turn voice on by setting report intervals like the Altimeter setup screen did. Also, there is no MAX altitude showing nor MIN altitude. Even after I turned the glider and the TX off and back on in hopes a full rebook would help.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 PM
AndyKunz

RPM is always added. There's no difference to the sensor for "no RPM sensor attached" vs. "motor is not running." So just remove RPM. Removing it will remove RPM from other screens.

I'm sorry, I meant to say to remove both Vario and Altitude. When it auto-configs, it looks for the vario to be there. If it is, it stops. If it isn't, it adds both Vario and Altimeter.

My bad.

Andy
Old 06-22-2016, 12:35 PM
da Rock

One more step.

Andy
BTW, to do this requires putting "Altitude" back into the Telemetry menu. Which started voice reports of, "Altitude, no data" reports. And also allowed me to put "Altitude" over "RPM". Also didn't get any altitude data from the Vario to show up in the MIN/MAX telemetry report screen.

Last edited by da Rock; 06-22-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:45 PM
da Rock

RPM is always added. There's no difference to the sensor for "no RPM sensor attached" vs. "motor is not running." So just remove RPM. Removing it will remove RPM from other screens.

I'm sorry, I meant to say to remove both Vario and Altitude. When it auto-configs, it looks for the vario to be there. If it is, it stops. If it isn't, it adds both Vario and Altimeter.

My bad.

Andy
OK, I'll go try it that way...
Old 06-22-2016, 12:45 PM
AndyKunz

Cross-posted.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:59 PM
da Rock

Nice work Andy

This wasn't an easy one.

Running On Empty, so to speak, allowed AutoConfig to do the trick. The voice reports the current altitude and the MIN/MAX display shows the highest altitude. Nice....

Thanks for sticking with it.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:10 PM
AndyKunz

My pleasure!