Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Alpha 6 Woes

Old 02-27-2017, 01:36 PM
RAMMJETT

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello , I have been setting up my alpha 6 , and after upgrading the software (first thing you must do ) also make sure frame rate is 22ms (manual tells you 11ms but this will cause your servos to have fits, I have tried all brands of digital servos), While gyro compensation can be reversed quite easy manually by depressing the button until the light turns red / then push the button again as many time as needed to make the little green LED light up beside the channel needing reversal / hold the button and servo compensation will be reverse . then continue until you get the blue flashing light / from here cycle all the sticks and switches related to the gyro (all controls should be set to 100% throws or gyro may no accept commands) the light should at this point turn solid blue /push the button one more time and you are out of setup . The beta programmer has a few bugs ,I have found some times you must cycle the receiver power for the program to prompt you to accept the changes .Anyway that is what I have to add . What I am trying to setup myself is using separate channels for gain and mode select, seems regardless of what I do they seem to be mixed . example, changing gain in the gyro off position will cause the gyro to go into gain or head hold mode dependant on direction of gain travel . I would like to stop the gain from having an affect in the gyro off channel ??? if the trim was changed while the gyro was in the off position you would have a problem turning the gyro off if there was a problem. cheers Roger, Andy any thoughts.

Last edited by RAMMJETT; 02-27-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:54 PM
caddymn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man this thing is giving me nightmares. trying to set up with srxl. Dx-9 ar9020 receiver, two aileron servo two elevator, one rudder, two flaps. On the first setup could not get the right elevator to work. Everything else worked. So I started over. With a fresh program all flight surfaces worked, but no gain, I have the gain channel on channel 8 with a rotary dial. I have restarted about ten times now with trying different inputs different channels, hooking up an extra cable to g6 for the gain(read that somewhere, you had to have the gain channel on a seperate in put even with srxl) The alpha is updated, I have wiped out the program on my computer and redownloaded in case something was wrong in the software. On about the 20 fresh start I moved the alpha back by my receiver and hooked it in with the jumper cables, watched Horizons video, stopped at each point made the hookups, I made a new model in my radio and followed their setup exactly. Turned the system on and went through the programming with them and wouldn't you know it, it programmed and I got my solid blue light-----BUT! none of my controls match my surface, If I move the alpha all the gyro surfaces work in order, If I move my aileron I have one aileron and two elevators, move my rudder and I move the other aileron, Elevator well that gets you rudder, I so want to take this thing outside and smash it into so many little pieces I could split an atom. I have started over again with srxl, I am back to all surfaces work but unable to get gyro. Yes I have read the manual(not sure who could get any help from that thing), yes I have called Horizon, COTY the only human at horizon who must have engineered, built, processed, wrote the manual and sells the thing is never available, I think he is made up so no one has to deal with this thing. This is going on a week of nightly frustration. I would feel so much better about life if I just smashed it, lol.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:24 PM
RAMMJETT

I feel your pain caddymn . just a thought have you tried to run the gyro with out using srxl . The system actually works well but there is so many unexplained procedures it's almost impossible to figure out even with direct servo hook up. I have never tried srxl but have the direct servo hook up down pat . try to hook it up direct because I know how that works and I can help you there ,after you master that you can venture off into the srxl world LOL. after what I've been through I don't even want to go there . the thing that bugs me is they don't have the software out yet for it to work with the as3x screen in the dx 18 transmitter and I have had mine for almost a year now..
Old 03-23-2017, 01:05 AM
caddymn

Originally Posted by RAMMJETT
I feel your pain caddymn . just a thought have you tried to run the gyro with out using srxl . The system actually works well but there is so many unexplained procedures it's almost impossible to figure out even with direct servo hook up. I have never tried srxl but have the direct servo hook up down pat . try to hook it up direct because I know how that works and I can help you there ,after you master that you can venture off into the srxl world LOL. after what I've been through I don't even want to go there . the thing that bugs me is they don't have the software out yet for it to work with the as3x screen in the dx 18 transmitter and I have had mine for almost a year now..
I actually did try to hook it up cable style. I will try again this evening. Just so frustrated, everything actually worked when I had the cables hooked up. But it was like I had the radio programmed wrong. I began to feel so dumb that I literally would watch the Horizon video, stop it at each point, make the connection, all the way through even settling a new model in radio and programming just as he did. Gyro worked gain worked gyro corrections worked, but none of my flying surfaces matched my radio programming. In other words I would give the aileron input and I would get one aileron and both elevator. Move the elevator and I got rudder.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:23 AM
RAMMJETT

Before you do anything you need to match the radio outputs to the gyro inputs . Andy has the output /input listed out in one of these posts but it's pretty simple just follow what it says on top of the gyro . you still need to link the ailerons and elevators in the radio to make both of them work. and you still need to reverse the throw of a control surface in the radio to have proper direction of motion when you move the stick . the gyro only has the ability to reverse the direction of it's ability to compensate for the surface not the direction of it's travel. any instruction I have been given from horizon hobby has been full of gaps I have found them willing to help but I don't think anyone is up to speed on these gyros.. on my spectrum 636as3x receiver I pulled my hair out because sometimes the gyro would activate and other times it would not ., turns out you need to move the throttle stick to activate the gyro, found that on youtube . with proper instruction these gyros work well but the lack of support and a decent manual has caused me some serious grief . they are actually quite simple when you know how they work but good luck stumbling across the procedure.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:55 AM
caddymn

I have several ar9350's so I am familiar with the as3x system and normal setup. My other planes have iGyro 3, Local hobby shop was out of the igyro and asked me to give this one a try, right now I am regretting it. This should be a simple installation. When I had it hooked up cable style I had thought about rearranging the transmitter channels until I had all the surfaces working correctly from the radio. But my Receiver is in the back of the plane and I really want the srxl method(but might have to give up). It just makes no sense that I can get everything to work with srxl but not recognize the gain channel, it has to be some simple solution.It has to be something small I am overlooking, When I had the cable method hooked up I had it exactly as Andy states. Just strange how my channels seem to be rearranged when I hook it up cable style. Hooked up Andy's way with new plane program in radio and set to the proper channels, I can watch my transmitter when giving aileron on the stick and see the left and right aileron channels output, but the plane moves one aileron and both elevator servos! Elevator stick input gives elevator channels output on radio but moves the rudder on Plane. If I set the gyro gain up high to watch corrections the gyro sends all the correct corrections to the correct surfaces. pitch gives elevator, yaw gives rudder. When you get frustrated you overlook stupid things. Probably where I am at. I really appreciate your input, Sometimes you just need an outside set of Eyeballs to see it in a different light.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:59 AM
caddymn

Thanks Horizon. is this better

Last edited by caddymn; 03-23-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:20 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by caddymn
I really appreciate it seeing as how Horizon and Hobby shop is just useless at this point.

If your that unhappy just return it fro a refund.

Mike
Old 03-23-2017, 05:32 AM
RAMMJETT

are you sure it's not setup for elevon (elevon active?) really weird having aileron and elevator connected or are all the outputs linked to the same input in the BETA programmer.. totally agree I was ready to give up myself but muddled my way to a solution . I have demon cortex gyros / E3 gyros / and this one is no worse to set up if you had instructions. I finally understand what I need to know to get my job done and it's actually very easy , but that is of little use to someone like you using the srxl..problem is who in the world knows how to use these things ??and why does spectrum not release some proper software and a programmer that is not full of bugs .I like in the beta programmer where it says after making adjustment click accept ??? no such button ?? what I have found is I need to unplug the receiver and plug the power back in and then the program prompts you to accept the changes . it's crazy
Old 03-23-2017, 05:34 AM
caddymn

WOW i wasn't aware that returning it was an option, thank you so much for helping out with this and every other persons problem with this piece. I was under the impression that we could come to places like this and solve problems. Never stated that I was that unhappy, am I ready to smash it, yep, would I, nope, I would rather fix it and whatever mistake I am making. I have stated the obvious that Horizon is not helping me at this point that is a fact, am I mad about anything, not at all. Somebody will see my mistake and point it out. That is the reason I am here. But thanks for your input.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:40 AM
caddymn

I agree Ramjett, I thought the same thing with the elevon last night. Tried changing it several times. But strangely it always reverts to flaperon. But I wouldn't think that would give me the crazyness I am seeing. Everything surface is properly controlled with srxl, just no gain.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 AM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I have stated the obvious that Horizon is not helping me at this point that is a fact, am I mad about anything, not at all. Somebody will see my mistake and point it out. That is the reason I am here. But thanks for your input.
Horizon IS helping you.

You are getting help from Team Horizon pilot Len Alessi on RCGroups. Did you see his response there this morning, after your post?

Andy
Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 AM
caddymn

Hey Ramjett, Len from the Horizon team just replied on another forum. He stated that for some reason the alpha stores the gain channel as one less than what you make it, so if I have it on channel 8 then I should have the input as 7!!!! Sounds good enough that I would like to run home and try it.

Last edited by caddymn; 03-23-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:52 AM
rcmiket

WOW i wasn't aware that returning it was an option, thank you so much for helping out with this and every other persons problem with this piece. I was under the impression that we could come to places like this and solve problems. Never stated that I was that unhappy, am I ready to smash it, yep, would I, nope, I would rather fix it and whatever mistake I am making. I have stated the obvious that Horizon is not helping me at this point that is a fact, am I mad about anything, not at all. Somebody will see my mistake and point it out. That is the reason I am here. But thanks for your input.
It wasn't meant to be sarcastic. It's a option.You aren't the only one that has issues in setting up the Alpha 6. Reach out to Andy here he's always willing to help. Horizon support is only good if you reach the right person ( I know this first hand).

Mike
Old 03-23-2017, 05:55 AM
RAMMJETT

It's not horizon hobby those guys will jump through hoop for you and have done many times for me so please horizon do not be offended by these comments as you have been great with me and your service is top notch . it's spectrum they need to get the lead out and fix the bugs in this product . I have been waiting nearly a year for the software to come out that will actually make this gyro capable of what it was advertised to do in the first place. I think horizon hobby is doing the best they can at damage control on a poorly thought out product. I gave away cheap three E3 gyros to have this headache so I am committed or should be committed LOL, it will cost me a fortune to buy all new E3 gyros back again.. I liked the Idea of having a gyro working as a integral part of the radio (DX 18) software but turns out that part does not even work yet without upgrades .still waiting spectrum. and waiting !!! and waiting !!! and waiting !!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:56 AM
caddymn

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Horizon IS helping you.

You are getting help from Team Horizon pilot Len Alessi on RCGroups. Did you see his response there this morning, after your post?

Andy
Maybe I should clarify, Horizon tech line was of no help. Not trying to step on toes, I wasn't mad I am not mad in any way. I like problems, was just trying to use the forums as a tool. I did see Len's post, It makes sense and I appreciate the timely response, I have read and programmed till I am blue in the face, if this turns out to be correct, then it is a nice little piece of info to be gotten out there. My frustration will not be in vain if this brings to light something someone else will run across. But the bottom line is you guys need someone on the techline that can help with this system. I had already read in the forum that Cody was the only one that could help, and couldn't help but laugh when they stated he wasn't there, so yes at that point Horizon was useless to me. Fingers crossed that Len has my problem solved. I agree with Ramjett, Horizon has always helped with any problem I have had, I do not have any problem with Horizon at all. You guys are great. Don't mistake my frustration for being mad at horizon or you guys.

Last edited by caddymn; 03-23-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:07 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by RAMMJETT
It's not horizon hobby those guys will jump through hoop for you and have done many times for me so please horizon do not be offended by these comments as you have been great with me and your service is top notch . it's spectrum they need to get the lead out and fix the bugs in this product . I have been waiting nearly a year for the software to come out that will actually make this gyro capable of what it was advertised to do in the first place. I think horizon hobby is doing the best they can at damage control on a poorly thought out product. I gave away cheap three E3 gyros to have this headache so I am committed or should be committed LOL, it will cost me a fortune to buy all new E3 gyros back again.. I liked the Idea of having a gyro working as a integral part of the radio (DX 18) software but turns out that part does not even work yet without upgrades .still waiting spectrum. and waiting !!! and waiting !!! and waiting !!

I agree totally but are times you need to get to the right person. Overall I've been really happy with them. That's why I suggested that he reach out to Andy.

Mike
Old 03-23-2017, 06:23 AM
AndyKunz

I'm not the right person for this particular product - I do transmitters.

Len is actually one of the best people you can have supporting you on the Alpha-6.

Andy
Old 03-23-2017, 06:28 PM
caddymn

Hey Ramjett the fix from Len didn't help either, I am throwing in the towel. Going back to my IGyro
Old 05-18-2017, 03:52 PM
KG6HGK

Default Alpha 6 stuff

Just joined up to find out more info on Alpha 6. I live in foreign country where there are no hobby shops and few rc flyers. Working with Spektrum,Horizon via satellite phones and emails. Seems some of the techs know their stuff and some are in LaLa Land. When I get a rep who is lost I am polite but hang up and get back into the que (kind of expensive on satellite phone). Looks like only Cody know anything about Alpha 6, and his knowledge is from the old fashion way, he is experimenting with his own planes and discovering how this thing Works. He told me on the 16th of May that some new information and patches are in the Works. For now, dont believe the advertising or the instructions they are misleading and incorrect. Having said that, this gyro Works better than anything else on the market at this time (it better as it costs 4 times as much). If it did not I would return it. Problem is it does not do wht it is advertized to, but neither do the other gyros out there (fixed wing). I am using servo travel to adjust the throw and sensitivity on the gain channel. Hold mode (holds last attitude control input) seems to work as advertized, you can select a high number in the programming and then modify it with the gain cannel. Rate or Torque or displacement does not seem to respond as well but I dont know how to fix that yet. Be sure you download latest transmitter, Alpha 6 and also the programmer updates before you take the plunge. The programmer responds differently on different computers and is a real challenge. I am using Windows 7 (Works but not great) and Windows XP ( Works better)
I am new at using a fórum for help, so sorry for my errors.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:52 AM
psarrazin2

Question Setting up a new Alpha-6

I hope Spektrum guys or Andy can help here

Hi All, I really need help after reading all of this thread and others I still have the jitter effect at any mode has describe at early stage in this thread. For no reason my elevator and rubber is going crazy one direction up to full travel.
I download the Pc Software and initially done the ALpha-6 upgrade to version 1.2 as suggested here
It is a brand new device purchase yesterday June 30 2017.
My setup is a DX8 not the new one, Software release 3.01 - the latest according to my Spektrum registered device.
I did my setup twice using first An AR6600T (New but have about 25 flights done without problems.)
Being not able to fix the issue, I decided to install another receiver it is an AR8010T, exact same results
As of now I did not link the xBus Telemetry, I just want to see it working anyway I do not think my DX8 is able to show AS3X Telemetry screens (If you can confirm please?
For now I'm working with the AR8010T
I do create a brand new model
Kept the 22 MS frame rate
My surfaces are well connected and functional
I do set the Knob on G6 and flight modes on the Aux2 assigned to Fmode switch.
All my servos are Spektrum Digital servos A6180

I also have some questions,

1. Has there is not travel, subtrim and expos setting in this device or at least in the Beta programmer software should I assume I can set these up in the transmitter?
2. Beta software did not really tells me when the Alpha-6 gets the new settings. Is there a way to ensure that settings are correctly sets ?
I'm asking that because after changing some settings I'm getting out of the program and when I come back I got the message that the device setting are different than the computer and it is askings chose witch ones I want to use?

Apart from the jitter important issue, impossible to fly with that, It looks like the Gain knob works fines in both mode Rates and Heading, I also see the led changing color when moving from -xx to + xx gain moving from Rates to Heading. At least I have the Ruder and Elevetor connected for my initial tests and reactions of Alpha6 seems ok to me.

SO How can I fix the jitter problem and full travel unpredictable? There is not specific patterns to it but surely within 5 to 10 sec. sometimes more frequent.

My next step will be to test with a old 10 channel receiver. I will post my results here
Thanks for your help.

English is not my mother language so if there is something confusing in my post, please ask.
Thanks

Patrice

Last edited by psarrazin2; 07-01-2017 at 05:57 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-01-2017, 08:25 AM
psarrazin2

Hello all !
I'm back after my ultimate test with an AR10000 receiver

Result is that the jitter and full travel surface went away. I also tried a more older DMS2 AR7000 and it did not work at all.

So there is definitively something related to how receivers handles signals up to Alpha-6

I did continue more experimentations has I would like to set up 3 flights modes with only one surface gain on each of them so to test in flight only one surface at a time.
I used the Beta software to do this.
I setup the Flap switch on AUX3 and connect it to SRXL/7 port of the Alpha-6 and set the initial setting accordingly in the software.
By the way all the time I set the aileron to Standard it comes back to Flaperon in the software?? A little bud here in the software or in the Alpha-6 .

As mention before I have no clue if the changes are saved in the Alpha-6

First and second attempts did not work as expected. When I come back to the software and get the dawn message that the setup is different in the Alpha-6 and the Model I choose the Alpha-6 to see what it has. It has come back with only one Gain flight mode screen not 3 even if in the initial setting the value shows 3??

I will do further test but obviously without an improve software interface I believe I'm loosing a lot of time here.

I may stick to one Flight mode and try it with all surfaces and moderate it via the gain that works well on the knob.

Will post flights results of further tests result but for now it still raining for the third days ...

I'm still looking for the fix for the newer receivers? I have more than two

Bye for now
Old 07-01-2017, 02:01 PM
psarrazin2

Hello, more update

As of now, all my surfaces are working well with an AR10000

Other information for thoses who it can benefit:

One important things is the calibration procedure - Alpha6 needs to see signals input in all ports that you have connected and this is consider in the calibration process.
If for example your did not connect the ailerons inputs, they wont work until you recalibrate having them connected.
Same thing for flights modes, you do not need only to set this thing up but you need to recalibrate should you change an input signal.

Other informations on the led colors in normal operating modes:

White - you are at 0 - so there is no Gyro action
Purple - you are in the 0 to -100 range - therefore opting for Heading based on default config on Elevator and aileron and Rates for Rudder
Green - you are in the 0 to 100 range - therefore opting for Rates based on default config on all surfaces

On your monitor screen you can see the % if you are applying if you use the knob it is pretty easy I assume to make in flight adjustments and explore Rates versus Heading Gyro assistance.

Hope that helps

I'm still not able to setup correctly flights modes - I saw only two modes and not in the sequence I set them.
May I will found how and post it before some replies came back!!
Any cue ?

Thanks
Patrice
Old 07-03-2017, 05:18 AM
AndyKunz

Sounds like you got it resolved. The next update for the receivers should improve things for you also.

Andy
Old 07-03-2017, 07:33 AM
psarrazin2

Thanks Andy, did you know when the next update will be available?
Happy independance week by the way, In Canada it was this weekend!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.