JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum SPMA9605 flight pack capacity sensor

Old 09-08-2016, 02:12 AM
Roger_Salmon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Spektrum SPMA9605 flight pack capacity sensor

I'm using the SPMA9605 sensor on a model and I can never get the MaH reading from the telemetry to match up to what my charger says it is putting back into the pack. It is always around 70% of the charger figure.

I contacted Spectrum support with this query:

"I have an SPMA9605 energy sensor which is consistently undereading capacity used. Eg; in a recent flight the sensor reported 2830maH used but the battery took 4080maH to recharge. This degree of underreporting is consistent over a range of batteries. Can the sensor be user recalibrated? If not do I just return it to Horizon UK?"

And got this reply:

"There is no recalibration capability.

However, the amount you put back in varies greatly when compared to chargers. ALWAYS! This is why the battery pack heats up during charge. You will never, ever, EVER get a charge number that comes close to matching what you put into it.

A 43% difference is not an unusual amount, and will go higher as the batteries age.

This is just the laws of physics. Nothing anybody can do about it.

The Spectrum Team"

IMHO this raises the question of the value of the sensor or even its fitness for purpose. I have also used the Mikado sensor and never found a significant difference between reported consumption and the charger value.

What do people think?