Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Elevons WITH Ailerons...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 AM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Elevons WITH Ailerons...

Hello!

I've searched, read, and can't really find a clear answer or guiding to what I'm looking for. What I have found is info on elevon settings/tips for a delta wing, but what I am looking for is guidance on setting up a jet body like full scale. Specifically an F18.

I have an F18 that mfr spec'd for strip ailerons. I am using a DX9 with an AR8000 RX. Y for the AILE, ELEV on separate channels, and a miracle Y for flaps (yes I know, I know, I've read countless times not to use those, but I have been for 6+ years now without incident, it works for me). Out of box, the plane called for just two servos to control each strip aileron, one per wing. I modified each to have ailerons at the tips, flaps inside, just like the full scale, and installed the extra servos. Then I got the idea, hey, why not use elevons? Especially since now I have only half my ailerons.

So! What I can't figure out is the wing/tail combination to have my elevators work as both elevators AND ailerons WITH the main ailerons. One really convincing incident was when a friend of mine was flying his F16, and his ailerons cut out on him (one actually left the plane). He had the elevon feature to which I'm referring set up, and it made saving the plane easier, if not simply possible. Plus, I just want it to fly a little more scale. Eventually I will want to get a larger RX so I can utilize flaperons as well like the full scale, but for now, I would just like to figure out the elevons situation. Anybody have experience with this type of setup? Is there something I missed in the manual?

Help please!

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-14-2016, 02:17 AM
SpeedsterDEN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would set it up as a glider, with 2 ailerons and 1 flap and 2 elevators. (In glider programme there is many preset mixes)
And then make a mix aileron to left elevator and aileron to right elevator.
Then it should work.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:04 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I would configure it as Acro.

1 throttle, 2 aileron, 1 flap, 2 elevator, 2 rudder and 1 nosewheel.

Wing Type would be 2 Ail/1 Flap, Tail Type: Dual Rudd/Elevator.

To enable roll on the elevators, you mix AIL > LEL.

To enable flaps on the ailerons, mix FLP > LAL.

This is a super simple, super common setup.

Andy
Old 12-14-2016, 11:25 AM
djmp69

Wow, what a "DOH" moment for me. I simply forgot about the power of this TX and just needed a kick in the pants to remember. Andy, like you said, it really is a simple thing to do, I can't believe I didn't think of it...

For my setup, I only have 8 channels, and like I said, I do eventually want to move up to a 9ch RX so I can use flaperons as well. Flaperons work great on my other planes. The biggest problem or this plane is that the nose wheel takes up a channel, as flipping the servo (position, manually, or digitally) is not an option.

But going off your suggestions, I kept the ailerons on a Y, and just did two mixes: 1) AILE>ELEV 2)AILE AUX3. For now, I've put the mixes on a switch so when I test it I can turn it off if things get squirrelly. Was even able to dial in some diferential, although I'm not sure if that's necessary in this case? Time to experiment. Eyeballing it, it looks great tho, and using a deflection meter, both elevators perform the same. Cool to see the roll/pitch combo deflections!

Thanks for the kick guys!
Old 12-14-2016, 11:40 AM
AndyKunz

You set the Wing Type to match the number of servo ports you're using, not the number of servos. If you have ailerons on a Y, then you need to change the wing type to 1 Aileron and Differential will go away. Differential causes different amounts to go to AILE and AUX1 ports based on which way you're rolling. You can't do that if you only are using 1 servo port for them.

Andy
Old 12-14-2016, 11:54 AM
djmp69

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
You set the Wing Type to match the number of servo ports you're using, not the number of servos. If you have ailerons on a Y, then you need to change the wing type to 1 Aileron and Differential will go away. Differential causes different amounts to go to AILE and AUX1 ports based on which way you're rolling. You can't do that if you only are using 1 servo port for them.

Andy
No no, I meant differential on the elevons. I know that if two separate surfaces are on a Y, their given commands will be the same and differential is not possible to mix in, it can only be done manually. Used to do this in my 72 mhz days. On the elevons however, I was able to mix more up than down in each stab. Since most of the drag on this plane is aft anyway, I'm curious to find out how effective it is, if at all. Tho I do wonder if it's necessary since the stab are so close to the fuselage, unlike the ailerons which are further out. Like I said, time to experiment. MAN this hobby is fun!

Last edited by djmp69; 12-14-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:16 PM
AndyKunz

OK, gotcha now.

Yeah, it's a bit more like an obsession...

Andy