Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX-9 Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:50 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DX-9 Quality

I purchased a DX-9 black edition new 18 months ago. Replaced the JR9303 that I had flown for a number of years with no issues. I am concerned of the number of failures I have had with the transmitter which has been two switches that quit working and now a trim switch on throttle. This transmitter has been stored in my office in the fancy black case. My question to you would be -Does this model transmitter have issues as far as high repair frequency intervals?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Keep the SD card in your flight box and not in the radio. Other than that I never had a single problem with mine, and only got rid of it to get the 18 to start flying jets.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:12 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been flying mine for almost a year now with zero problems. But I never tried to use the SD card. I didn't know there were problems with using the card. I only fly 4 different planes with the DX9. 2 giant scale, one gas one nitro, and two electric. What are the two switches that quit working?
Old 07-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffEE
I have been flying mine for almost a year now with zero problems. But I never tried to use the SD card. I didn't know there were problems with using the card. I only fly 4 different planes with the DX9. 2 giant scale, one gas one nitro, and two electric. What are the two switches that quit working?
We're not sure there is an issue with the SD cards, just some folks have some power on issues occasionally. Anecdotal evidence suggests that leaving the SD card in the radio may have something to do with it but that has not been confirmed by Horizon.

Check the thread on FG.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:08 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The problem is not with leaving the card in. The problem is that some cards are just plain bad.

If you have a questionable card, the best thing to do is run it through SD FORMATTER. It's a tool that you can find a link to in the "How To" PDF on the download page. I attached a copy below.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails How_To_Update_AirWare.pdf  
Old 07-13-2017, 06:21 PM
PLANE JIM

My card is still in the package -never used - no card problem here.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:40 PM
pilotdb09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a DX 9 and after turning on the TX then switching the Rx to ON", the flaps make a fast cycle then return to "UP".
How can this cycle be eliminated?
Old 07-16-2017, 01:25 PM
AndyKunz

Turn on the transmitter first.

There are two ways to cause this.

1) the Rx was bound using the button rather than the menu, so the RF connection can cause a brief jump to failsafe position.

2) the Rx is on before the tx, and the tx connects before it had time to transition the output to the switch position.

So, bind from the menu and power up the transmitter first and you should be fine.

Andy
Old 07-17-2017, 07:20 AM
Zeeb

Could be one other thing; if he's mixing analog and digital servos e.g. analogs on the flaps, he'll get a deflection on power up.

But I think your two possibilities are more likely....
Old 07-17-2017, 07:30 AM
AndyKunz

Usually the problem with power-on deflections with force are digital servos that come up more quickly than the micros controlling them, and mis-interpret the startup noise pulse as valid signals. This is not a problem with analog servos because, even though they start up faster than digital servos, they do not keep on trying to deflect to the invalid position. They get one pulse, glitch a little in one direction, and then stop trying. Digital servos keep on trying.

And mixing analog and digital makes no difference aside from the higher continuous power requirements to drive the digital servos. Both types are high-impedance inputs and do not change the signal shape. The higher power requirements of digitals can cause voltage droop, but that again is a poor power system, not a problem with mixing servo types. Most of my planes have mixed analog and digital servos.

Andy
Old 07-17-2017, 05:53 PM
pilotdb09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Andy and Zeeb!
I have rebound using the menu and while, with the wings off, I have not tried it as yet, I feel this will work.
Thanks for your help!
Don
Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Usually the problem with power-on deflections with force are digital servos that come up more quickly than the micros controlling them, and mis-interpret the startup noise pulse as valid signals. This is not a problem with analog servos because, even though they start up faster than digital servos, they do not keep on trying to deflect to the invalid position. They get one pulse, glitch a little in one direction, and then stop trying. Digital servos keep on trying.

And mixing analog and digital makes no difference aside from the higher continuous power requirements to drive the digital servos. Both types are high-impedance inputs and do not change the signal shape. The higher power requirements of digitals can cause voltage droop, but that again is a poor power system, not a problem with mixing servo types. Most of my planes have mixed analog and digital servos.

Andy
Well maybe the newer radio stuff does not do it anymore, but I can promise you that when the X9303's and R921's came out, there was an issue with the mixing of analog servos and digitals. With the tx on and then the rx, you'd get servo movement out of the analog servos before the rx linked. Some were worse than others, I still have a model that was one of the first that I installed the JR/Spektrum setups. All of the servos except the choke, are digital, the choke is analog because I did not think it would make any difference; it does.

When you power the model on, the choke will close half way and then open when the rx links. This is with a Futaba servo on the choke, Hitec servos were worse; they'd go to a full deflection. The guys over on FG that were running big analog Hitecs with A123 batteries, actually had control horns torn out or even the control surface torn off the model.

This behavior did not occur if you used an AR7000 rx instead of an R921.

It was speculated after a bunch of testing by some of those FG guys, that the problem was created by the tx/rx trying to decide if they were going to run in 1024 resolution or 2048. The AR7000 ran in 1024, the R921 could run in 1024 or 2048. The rx's on power up, would put out a signal to the servo outputs in the 700 ms range, way below the normal, what is it 990 or somewhere close?

Horizon/JR finally acknowledged there was an issue, but never offered an explanation or a fix. All of this info can be found on the FG website's older threads for those who want to go look.

Last edited by Zeeb; 07-18-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:12 PM
PLANE JIM

I purchased a DX-9 black edition new 18 months ago. Replaced the JR9303 that I had flown for a number of years with no issues. I am concerned of the number of failures I have had with the transmitter which has been two switches that quit working and now a trim switch on throttle. This transmitter has been stored in my office in the fancy black case. My question to you would be -Does this model transmitter have issues as far as high repair frequency intervals?