Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

as3x receiver program wing type flap issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:03 PM
jlv476

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question as3x receiver program wing type flap issue

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and am hopeful someone can assist with a problem I am encountering when setting up a new AR9350. I am using the iPhone app for programming the receiver and it is in the FMS P40b. I am selecting the wing type in the app as 1 aileron and 1 flap. The app then tells me to set my radio (Dx9) to the same for proper functioning which I have done. The default channel assignment for flaps is Aux1 and I am not able to change this in the app. If I do it labels the flap diagram as NOA and then when I attempt to save the change it reports that no channel is assigned to a servo. The issue is that in channel assign in the radio it defaults Aux1 to flaps I guess but the output is labeled as N/A and the scroll wheel will not select it to change. I have no way to assign a switch to my flaps if done this way. I can get it to work if the wing type is set to "normal" both in the app and radio but this creates 2 additional issues.One serious and one an annoyance. If the wing is set to normal then the "flaps" option on the radio disappears and I cannot mix it with the elevator (annoyance). The main problem is that the gyro acts differently set like this so I do not think its the way to go about it. Anyone with experience that can weigh in? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 AM
rpellicciotti

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem. I have two 9350 receivers and they work great. You will like it once you get it going. One thing I learned is that the program for a windows PC (using a usb cable to the receiver) has a lot of functionality that the iphone app does not have. I have abandoned using the phone for initial setups but sometimes it is useful to make changes to a setup in the field. When I am configuring a new model, I always use the PC software with a laptop computer. It works much better. Probably not what you want to hear.

That said, with a little more info, I'll bet we can get it to work for you. Perhaps Andy K. will chime in. He is the expert.

Does the FMS P40 have two aileron servos and two flap servos? Are they on a "Y" connector or control board such that the elevator and flaps each take up one channel in your receiver?

Doing it from memory, I think there is a step in the transmitter you are missing. I am at work but I will look at mine when I get home. I can even send you my setup file to try. I have a 9350 set up in a plane similar to this one.

Now that I am home, I have looked at my transmitter setup and in System Settings on the RX Port Assignment screen I have Throttle on 1, Aileron on 2, elevator on 3, rudder on 4, gear on 5 and flap on AUX 1. All of my other AUXx ports are set to AUXx (2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc). On the next screen (Channel Input Config) 1 through 4 say N/A, 5 (gear) says "A" which is my gear switch and AUX1 (flaps) is also N/A. Back under the main menu (Function List) on the "Flap System" screen, I have my flap switch set to "Switch C" and my flap throws and elevator mixing as desired.

If it won't let you select "Flap" for AUX1 on the RX Port Assignment screen, check to see if some other port already says "flap". It won't let you have two ports that say the same thing. So you have to turn the other one to some other value (like AUX5 or something ) and then change AUX1 to "flap".

I hope this helps.

Rick

Last edited by rpellicciotti; 06-13-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-13-2017, 06:34 PM
jlv476

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply and the info. I actually have heard that the USB cable is a better option and ordered one a few days ago.

The FMS P40b has a "Y" for the ailerons and flaps (one channel each) so its 1 aileron and 1 flap wing type.

You are correct I was missing a step! It was a silly oversight on my part. I was expecting the assigned switch to active the flaps and used the fact that it wasn't as the test that it was not working when in fact the menu mix for flaps and elevator was defaulted to 0% for all 3 switch positions. I had everything assigned correctly but the switch did nothing. Once I went back to it and realized that the 3 positions were all at 0 and changed this it worked so no further issues there.

I do, however, have a second issue that I have actually already talked to HH about. I have not fully finished the suggested fix from them (updating the receiver) so don't invest too much effort into an answer yet. On the off chance that someone may actually know or understand what is occurring though I'll run through the problem I have. Basically the gain for heading hold is behaving a bit strange. I have watched the setup videos by Spektrum a number of times and am fairly confident that I have things setup correctly. I have assigned FM 1 to a "normal" no gains mode, FM 2 is only rate gain which I set as per the videos with multiple flights and utilizing the relative gain function, this works fine. FM 3 I have set as a "landing mode" and it does utilize some heading gain. The issues is that in FM 3 the plane will essentially crash itself if left in the mode for more than a few, maybe 6-8 seconds, it does not oscillate like the gain is too high it simply seems that the gyro in heading mode is not right and the compensation it attempts is incorrect. As an example. I have the Apprentice with safe and the HZ Corsair with safe programmed into the 636A receiver. In both of these aircraft when the FM is switched to the full stabilization mode and you move the aircraft about in your hands and then set it down again the control surfaces will be returned to how they were before the plane was picked up and moved about through it's different axis. The surface will return to neutral. In the case of the 9350 with settings of gain and heading on, and I have tried many different settings, the surfaces move as they do on the other aircraft but ultimately do not return to neutral. When the aircraft is place down again one aileron may be up and the rudder 15 or 20 degrees to the left or right. It is a slightly different response each time I pick it up and try this. It does not seem that this should be the case? Any thoughts?

Thanks,