Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Programing the E-flite Convergence VTOL

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:43 AM
dmartin168
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programing the E-flite Convergence VTOL

Need help programming the JR9503 for the Eflite Convergence..
Old 08-31-2017, 01:18 PM
BluMiniMe
My Feedback: (1)

If you haven't got it figured out yet, I'll try to give you some help. I own the same radio, which I replaced with a DX10. Haven't used it in a while, so I may be rusty.

The Convergence's flight controller needs only two important settings on the radio. The gear channel, and AUX1 both set to 2-position switches of your choice.
The Gear channel is used to toggle stability/acro modes; both modes function in "drone" and "airplane" modes. Stability significantly limits your throws in both "drone" and "airplane" modes. It also returns the Convergence quickly to level flight when the radio sticks are moved (or released) to center/neutral. It also limits aileron and elevator throws while in "airplane" mode (so much so, I almost looped into the ground because elevator was limited).

The AUX1 channel is used to transition from "drone" to "airplane" mode, and back.
Some of the instructions apply to the JR. Set up a new model as airplane, normal wing and tail. To set your Gear and AUX1 switches, get into the "DeviceSEL" menu. (I have the heli version of the 9503 so the defaults may be different from the airplane version, but not much different) In the DeviceSEL menu you should see 5 channels left to right: "GEAR FLAP AUX2 AUX3 AUX4" (FLAP is the AUX1 channel) Yours may say "AUX1" instead of "FLAP".

Below each of the channels, are the switches associated with the channels immediately above. By default the GEARSW(switch) is listed under the GEAR channel, and the FLAPSW(switch) is listed under the FLAP channel. If you're ok with the Gear switch controlling the GEAR(stability/acro) channel, then leave it.
If you're ok with the Flap switch controlling AUX1/FLAP(drone/plane) channel, then leave it. If you want to use different switches, the simply highlight the channel, click it with the roller then choose the preferred switch from the pop up menu. Do same with the FLAP/AUX1 channel and select the preferred switch. NOTE: The Flap switch is a 3 position switch. It will work, but if you want a 2 position switch, simply choose the one that is preferred.

With that out of the way, the only settings to change are the expo rates for aileron and elevator. I assume you know how to do that. The recommended 25% expo is a safe starting point.
Now you're ready to maiden!
Good luck. This bird is unlike any other out there. Its a fast flying wing in airplane mode, and a gentle drone in drone mode.
It can be a bit crazy to fly in stability mode while in airplane flight. Every time the sticks hit the center mark (except throttle), the Convergence immediately goes to level flight... it will surprise you and scare the hell out of you if you're not prepared for it. When I fly any of the Horizon airplanes that have this stability feature, I always end up fighting against it... it kicks in at times when I don't want level flight, so whenever I'm in airplane mode, I flip the gear switch so I can fly in full acro unassisted flight.
The transition to and from drone mode is fully automated and doesn't require input. It takes several yards to reach fully airplane flight, and also transitioning back. Recommend you place the Convergence on a flight path that is free of obstructions before you switch flight modes.
Cheers!

Last edited by BluMiniMe; 08-31-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:49 PM
dmartin168
My Feedback: (11)

Thank You for the information..... will give it a go......
Old 12-09-2017, 04:41 PM
jrdale210

Just found this thread, having unsuccessfully tried to set up my 9503. I have one that is also Heli version but not DSM-X and I do have a DSM-X spectrum-type receiver in the convergence. But my programming choices are different.
" Set up a new model as airplane, normal wing and tail. To set your Gear and AUX1 switches, get into the "DeviceSEL" menu. (I have the heli version of the 9503 so the defaults may be different from the airplane version, but not much different) In the DeviceSEL menu you should see 5 channels left to right: "GEAR FLAP AUX2 AUX3 AUX4" (FLAP is the AUX1 channel)" All fine until under "FLAP" there is no AUX1 choice only AUX3 LV, FLAP LV, AUX2 SW and FLAP SW. Binding like this binds OK and everything looks normal except there is no switch letting the motors go to horizontal position for vertical take off. They have two other positions, the intermediate and the normal horizontal flight.
If anyone else has experience in getting the Convergence to work with a JR X9503 please add any setup comments Thx
Old 01-26-2019, 06:00 AM
Fast Pilot

Technical notes must say what radios are right to program these little birds AND MANUALS MUST BE WROTE IN A GOOD MANNER TO UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO.
MANUALS ARE WROTE WRONG BECAUSE THEY DON'T SAY ALL THE STEPS YOU MUST DO TO PROGRAM IN A RIGHT WAY.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:10 AM
Fast Pilot

MANUALS ARE WROTE WRONG BECAUSE THEY DONT SAY ALL YOU MUST DO TO PROGRAM THESE LITTLE BIRDS STEP TO STEP.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:39 AM
BluMiniMe
My Feedback: (1)

I'm going from memory here... Aux1 is Flap. So talking about Aux1 is also referring to Flap. They can't be separated. If you have set your wing to dual servo, then the Aux1/Flap channel is reserved for the second aileron servo. Check the wing config is set for single servo, that will make the Flap/Aux1 channel available. Also, you can't choose a switch for Flap/Aux1 if that switch is set for one of the other channels (Aux2, 3, or 4). You can safely "INH" them (inhibit) for Aux2, 3, and 4. This should give you access to choose any available switch you want under the Flap channel. I love JR radio's but their menus drove me nuts, so I migrated to Spektrum. Their newer stuff is much better though.

Since the 9503 is only a DSM2 radio, you must use a receiver that can do DSM2. I'm pretty sure most Spektrum DSMX receivers are backward compatible. If it will bind, then you're good to go.
Good luck!

Last edited by BluMiniMe; 01-26-2019 at 08:42 AM.