Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Programming crow on DX18

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Red Beers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming crow on DX18

Can anyone help with this? I'm using a 9030 receiver and flying the 30CC Ultra stick.

The channel assignments are as follows.

1 throttle
2 R ail
3 R elevator
4 rudder
5 L flap
6 L Ail (aux 1)
7 R flap (aux 2)
8 kill switch (aux 3)
9 L elevator (aux 4)

I would like to put this on switch B
position 0 - normal flaps and ailerons
position 1 - flaps and ailerons act as full ailerons
position 2 - crow - flaps down and ailerons up

Is this doable?

Red
Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, very doable.

To get the ailerons to go up, you mix to LAL. This back-mixing will make both ailerons move in the same direction (if you mixed to RAL, it would be introducing roll instead).

Andy
Old 07-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Red Beers

Thanks for the response Andy.

I have the flap system set up on switch D and I wanted to leave that as is and use switch B for the crow. When I mix FLP/LAL I can't seem make the flaps move but I can see the Ailerons move in the same direction but at different rates.

Any thoughts?

Red
Old 07-17-2017, 11:02 AM
AndyKunz

I'll need your SPM file to help any more.

Andy
Old 07-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Red Beers

Here's the file.
Attached Files
File Type: spm
016~16 3Occ Ultra Stick.SPM (23.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:54 PM
AndyKunz

Using the file you gave me, I modified the Flap System to 6 seconds so I could see slow movement. It makes it easier for me to see what's going on, and you'll probably want some delay in real life on your flaps.

Next I went to Mix and added Mix 1 as Normal type.

Then I changed it to FLP > LAL and for fun purposes put rates at 50%/50%. I set them to 50% so I could see some movement but not too much.

I then set the switch to B and made it active only in the middle position.

Now with B in position 0, when I move the D switch I see the flaps move slowly but nothing on the ailerons.

If I move B to position 1, the ailerons jump to the up position. If I flip D, the ailerons come down in sync with the flaps and elevator returning to center.

Because there is no position of the flaps where they are truly at 0, the ailerons are always up a little. You need to adjust that with the Offset field on the Mix screen, or by mechanically fixing the linkage so that there is a position where the flaps are truly at center at the appropriate switch position.

Andy
Old 07-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Red Beers

Thanks Andy. This is really helpful. Now to go try it out.

Red
Old 07-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Red Beers

Andy,

So to get crow I have to lower the flaps on switch D and then move switch B to position 1. Is this correct?

Red
Old 07-18-2017, 08:17 AM
AndyKunz

I would move switch B first and then D. That way when you decide to use the speed function on the Flap System (probably an important thing) the crow will come on at the same speed, rather than suddenly.

Andy
Old 07-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Red Beers

I did set the flaps to 6 seconds. Let me ask this a different way just to be clear. Does switch B only move the ailerons? And if so why did we set the rates at 50%/50%?

Does Horizon/Spektrum have more detailed information or examples about mixes other than the manual?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 AM
AndyKunz

Switch B moves only the ailerons.

The 50%/50% is just a number I picked out of the air. It means that when the flaps are on either side of 0 (as set up in the Flap System) that the ailerons will deflect half as much (50%) as the flaps.

Another resource? I have 42K posts on RCG, most of them in the Radios forum. And there are users there who are just as well-informed.

If you're into sailplanes, there are a number of books by Sherman Knight sold through redsailplane.com that might help.

Andy
Old 07-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Red Beers

Thanks Andy, this really helps.

Red
Old 07-18-2017, 09:06 AM
AndyKunz

You're welcome.

You have to post pictures or videos of your Stick now, you know!!!

Andy
Old 07-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Red Beers

Here you go. I think I have stage/camera fright LOL, I kinda bounced it in. I'll get more photo's/video's of the crow when we get to Michigan it's too hot in Arkansas.

I'm having trouble getting it loaded, it says it can't find the security token. I'll keep trying. It's 9.3 mb, is that too big?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:48 AM
AndyKunz

Probably.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:28 PM
Red Beers

Andy,

I have another airplane I would like to do the crow mix on, it's the red and white sport cub by Horizon. The difference is 6 channel receiver and 2 Ail servos and 1 flap servo.

RAL on channel 2
LAL on aux 1
Same flap system on D and crow on B position 1 (only position 1 is active, like above.)

The ailerons move with the flaps but the right one goes up and the left one goes down. How do I get the left one to go up?

Red
Old 07-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Beers
Andy,

I have another airplane I would like to do the crow mix on, it's the red and white sport cub by Horizon. The difference is 6 channel receiver and 2 Ail servos and 1 flap servo.

RAL on channel 2
LAL on aux 1
Same flap system on D and crow on B position 1 (only position 1 is active, like above.)

The ailerons move with the flaps but the right one goes up and the left one goes down. How do I get the left one to go up?

Red
Go back and look at his post;

"Yes, very doable.

To get the ailerons to go up, you mix to LAL. This back-mixing will make both ailerons move in the same direction (if you mixed to RAL, it would be introducing roll instead).

Andy"

The back mixing is one of the trick programming things about Spektrum radios.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:37 AM
Red Beers

Thanks for the response Zeeb.

Updated information.

The mix is setup as FLP/LAL normal curve, 100%/100%, 0% offset.

When comparing the servo setups for the two airplanes the first one (30CC Ultra Stick) both ailerons are reversed. This airplane (the red and white Cub) one aileron is reversed and the other is normal. So far this is the only difference I can find and I am not sure how to deal with this in the mix. I have included the SPM file if it will help.

Thanks Red
Attached Files
File Type: spm
002~2 Red and White CUB.SPM (23.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-30-2017, 06:00 AM
AndyKunz

What Receiver?
Old 07-30-2017, 06:22 AM
Red Beers

Ar500
Old 07-30-2017, 09:45 AM
AndyKunz

The AR500 only has 1 TRUE aileron output. The signal going to the second aileron port is exactly the same as the one going to the right aileron port.

You need a 6-channel receiver, or you need to move the left aileron to the Gear port and then program the transmitter to match (which you can do using the current config, just go to Channel Assign and make GEAR have Left Aileron on it).

Andy
Old 08-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Red Beers

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I would move switch B first and then D. That way when you decide to use the speed function on the Flap System (probably an important thing) the crow will come on at the same speed, rather than suddenly.

Andy
Andy, I now have crow set up on two airplanes. The first one you helped me with (Ultra stick/9030T receiver) the ailerons jump to the raised position when you move switch B to position 1, then when you activate the flaps they jump back to neutral and then crow with the flaps . The second plane the Red and White cub (AR610 sport receiver) the ailerons don't move when you move switch B to position 1, they only activate in crow when switch B is in position 1 and you lower the flaps. Is there a way to have the Ultra Stick perform as the Red and White Cub?

You will be glad to know I'm learning. I was able to set up a second mix to provide down elevator in this mix as the crow extended.

Red
Old 03-16-2018, 12:12 AM
Quiny

Originally Posted by Red Beers
Andy, I now have crow set up on two airplanes. The first one you helped me with (Ultra stick/9030T receiver) the ailerons jump to the raised position when you move switch B to position 1, then when you activate the flaps they jump back to neutral and then crow with the flaps . The second plane the Red and White cub (AR610 sport receiver) the ailerons don't move when you move switch B to position 1, they only activate in crow when switch B is in position 1 and you lower the flaps. Is there a way to have the Ultra Stick perform as the Red and White Cub?

You will be glad to know I'm learning. I was able to set up a second mix to provide down elevator in this mix as the crow extended.

Red
ailerons go to fast

i get it all to work... onfly i cannot slow diwn the speed if the aileronf going up in crow position

result is if if i activate the crow the plane go s nose down first as the aikerins fmip up and the flaps are on delay

is there a way to do this that all move in delay?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:51 AM
AndyKunz

Are you using version 1.20? There is a change in it that makes it so it synchronizes the mix to the flap output.

Andy
Old 03-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Quiny

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Are you using version 1.20? There is a change in it that makes it so it synchronizes the mix to the flap output.

Andy
hello Andy

yes i am using 1.20 . However i don't kbow where to find tgis changement

gr
serge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.