Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum DX8 mode change problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 AM
rmatt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spektrum DX8 mode change problems

I just bought a new Spektrum DX8 Gen 2. I am just returning to RC after a 40 year hiatus. Flew mode 1 back in the day. went through the procedure described in the manual which I thought went well. Now the sticks mechanically do what they are supposed to. The programming part doesn't seem to. The screen says Flight mode 1 and when I power up the unit I get a throttle to high warning and can only clear it by moving the left stick which is the mode 2 throttle. Any Ideas? I was going to plug the servos into the rec but found out that my battery and rec have different plugs. Hope there is some kind of adapter.
Old guys and technology don't get along too well.
Thanks in advance
Bob
Old 07-25-2017, 01:20 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

After you performed the gimbal adjustments did a calibration screen pop up on the display ?

Did you program a new model and test it?

Find the monitor screen (under the Function List). This screen will show all of the channel functions ,Throttle, elevator, aileron. rudder, etc...
Move the right stick forward and back and see if the Throttle channel is moving on the display.

If you are using older Futaba plugs the thin protruding key on the edge of the plug needs to be cut or sanded/filed away so that it will fit into the receiver.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:46 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"flight mode 1" isn't the same as "Mode 1" -
sounds like you need to go to the system settings menu on the radio, and select Mode 1. I'm assuming you're coming from the "default" mode 2 settings, so you'd need to do all three steps below. These are from the manual - and I believe the "remove battery pack" is prior to opening up the box and doing the mechanical mods.

1. Access the System Settings menu from the Setup List and select the desired Mode. If you are changing between Modes 2/4 or 1/3, you can STOP after Step 1.
2. Exit the System Settings menu to save the selection.
3. Power off the transmitter and remove the transmitter battery pack. After you change the transmitter Mode in the Setup List, you will need to make mechanical changes to the transmitter gimbals.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:40 PM
rmatt

Thanks guys. I thought F-Mode 1 was the change in function. I did find the mode 1 listed and changed it. It required shutting the transmitter down and re-powering.
I am brand new at this new technology. I do no have a plane at this point, only the x, rec, servos and battery. The battery I bought has two wired plugs. The large one . I assume is the charge plurg. The other has more than 3 wire and is physically too large. Not sure what to do from here. Are batteries made for specific brands of receivers?
Bob
Old 07-25-2017, 02:50 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Should have left it mode 2 like everyone said to do so you have more assistance. Sounds like a lipo or life battery came with it. Don't try to charge it until you know for sure. pictures would help
Old 07-25-2017, 03:18 PM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by rmatt
Thanks guys. I thought F-Mode 1 was the change in function. I did find the mode 1 listed and changed it. It required shutting the transmitter down and re-powering.
I am brand new at this new technology. I do no have a plane at this point, only the x, rec, servos and battery. The battery I bought has two wired plugs. The large one . I assume is the charge plurg. The other has more than 3 wire and is physically too large. Not sure what to do from here. Are batteries made for specific brands of receivers?
Bob
Appears that you bought a Lipo or Life battery pack but not one to be used as a receiver battery. That plug with multiple wires sounds like the balance plug. If so don't try and charge it if you don't have a Lipo charger.

Can you list what is written on the battery?

A normal Lixx battery will have the two plugs you mentioned:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/thrust-...p-eflb15003s40

A receiver Lipo battery will have the plugs you mentioned plus a receiver plug:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/74v-400...-dbxl-dynb0501
Old 07-25-2017, 03:37 PM
rmatt

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Should have left it mode 2 like everyone said to do so you have more assistance. Sounds like a lipo or life battery came with it. Don't try to charge it until you know for sure. pictures would help
I flew maybe 15 years with mode 1. Too old to change now.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:45 PM
rmatt

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Appears that you bought a Lipo or Life battery pack but not one to be used as a receiver battery. That plug with multiple wires sounds like the balance plug. If so don't try and charge it if you don't have a Lipo charger.

Can you list what is written on the battery?

A normal Lixx battery will have the two plugs you mentioned:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/thrust-...p-eflb15003s40

A receiver Lipo battery will have the plugs you mentioned plus a receiver plug:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/74v-400...-dbxl-dynb0501
These are the 2 batteries I have.

Batt 1---- Admiral 2200 mah 3s 11.1v 35c
Batt 2 ---- Zippy 2200 mah 3 cells 11.1 v 25c
Old 07-25-2017, 03:52 PM
flyinwalenda

Those are typical 3-cell Lipo packs used in electric planes, boats, etc...
Don't try to connect those to the receiver without using a voltage regulator.

If a Lipo is what you want then you need to get a 2-cell receiver pack Lipo similar to the one I previously posted.

You will also need a charger that is capable of charging a Lithium battery.

If you only have a NiCd /NiMh charger then get a 6 volt NiMh receiver pack:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/2150mah...ack-spmb2150nm

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 07-25-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:42 AM
rmatt

Brian, Thanks for all the info. I get the battery deal now. Is there a battery charger that you might recommend , that will charge and balance all common types of batteries? Something that might be at least reasonable in cost? Chargers are a little confusing for me just getting back int the hobby.
Thanks again
Bob
Old 07-26-2017, 02:37 AM
flyinwalenda

https://www.horizonhobby.com/helicop...harger-vnr0677
Old 07-26-2017, 05:58 AM
rmatt

Thank you again Sir.