JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX9 Timer Button

Old 08-07-2017, 11:34 AM
djmp69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default DX9 Timer Button

Hey everyone. If you haven't seen my previous post, it basically describes how the back button function has changed on the DX9. Well, the function hasn't entirely changed, but the reporting has changed. Now, Spektrum has repeatedly told me that nothing has changed about this function, that it has always been like that, and that I must be mistaken. When I explained that I'm not making this up, its something that I actually witnessed, I was told basically to just deal with it or get another system. As the DX9 has been working well (considering) for a few years now, I opted to just deal with it. Well, I was finally was able to find someone who had not updated their DX9 yet. They were still on 1.07. I am on 1.11 (still waiting on the success/failure word of 1.2). As you can see and hear in the vid, there is a definate change. So I am not imagining this. More annoying than it is a problem. Most times, you don't even notice it because by the time your time stops, your flight is over, or if you have to hit the back button again the volume edit mode has timed out. Like I said it's more annoying than it is a problem. I'm just posting this to show what I was talking about, and if anyone knows a way to get it back to how it used to be, that would be a plus! Amazing when companies try to fix what ain't broke, then blame operator error when unintended anomalies happen...

Last edited by djmp69; 08-07-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:23 PM
AndyKunz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you for getting a video finally! A video is worth 10K words, and that's what we were going through before - trying to figure out what you were describing.

Here is the comment in the code to add this functionality.

// Author: AK
// Date: 2015-07-28
// Mods: Bug 3308 - Allow BACK to function the same as roller click to
// end edit interaction.

This was part of the DX9 version 1.08 release dated 2015-October-22, and is found as the first item on page 2 of that change log. In particular:

Pressing the BACK button while editing the master volume will end the volume change interaction as if you pressed the roller wheel. This allows you to do a quick volume check simply by pressing BACK twice I hope that clears up for you that what you have is exactly what it is supposed to be for several years now.

If you'd like to confirm this for yourself, you can get the change logs here. You'll have to scroll back a couple pages to find the start of 1.08. Spektrum AirWare Change Logs

Andy

Last edited by AndyKunz; 08-07-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:12 AM
djmp69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanx Andy, I'm glad it's more clear. And I get that it's behaving the way it's programmed, but that's what I was describing as the problem. It was fine before. I understand that the timer can be assigned to other switches now, but I'm one of those guys that like to set my planes up has similarly as possible, so that the possibility of hitting the wrong switch in a mind blank moment or emergency is minimized. Guess I just have to learn another button -- if I can find a free one, lol (just about all my switches have jobs on all the models) or deal with her yelling volume at me, lol. At any rate, I'm glad I finally made some sense of it.

BTW--do you know of any issue with using the bind button as a trigger? It seems like it should be ok, but something just in nerves me about using the same button that binds the RX and TX. Am I just being paranoid or should I avoid using it?

Thanx again
Old 08-08-2017, 04:43 AM
AndyKunz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's called switch I and it can be used for just about anything.

On my models it is used to take a screen shot and to report Time Remaining. You can program it for use as a panic switch (see our many SAFE planes with that) or all kinds of things. On the club candy bomber it's the bomb bay door control.

The only thing to remember is that it is the bind switch at power-up. You can do anything else that you want with it.

Andy