Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

The Future of the 28X

Old 10-23-2017, 04:34 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The Future of the 28X

I was able to get one of the first 28x's 3 years ago and i am continually amazed by the functionality of the radio. I'm a long time fan of JR and have had a lot of their radios . In the process of trying to set up a xicoy telemetry module i decided to give JR a call . To my continued disappointment they were clueless . I asked about what was going to happen with the 28x and weather they would keep up with everyone else as far as turbine telemetry .... nothing . i asked about more development of Apps to add to the functionality .. nothing. personally i think your seeing all that the 28 will ever be . With such an awesome radio , they should be top dog in ever aspect of R/C radios. It seems futaba and jeti and walked right past them . What a shame.. i'm not trying to be a buzz kill , but it's sad to see such a great radio stall. If anyone has heard other wise , i'd really like to hear about it. WB_1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5780.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	2242184  
Old 10-23-2017, 11:20 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Well I don't think anyone besides Len knows what's going to happen with JR Americas, I don't know that anyone but the JR bigwigs know where JR is heading beyond where they are now. So anything beyond that is speculation.

That said; I used JR for awhile until there was no replacement for my long in the tooth 12X on the horizon, no pun intended. Other locals that I fly with were going to Futaba via the 18MZ and I did the same keeping my 12X radios to run all the Spektrum RF rx's I have installed in my gassers. All the new planes including the Pattern and turbine stuff, got put on Futaba. I figured maybe I could go back some day if JR came out with a newer radio.

Then they changed the RF format to something incompatible with all my older rx's. Then they split with Horizon and said there was a new radio coming, that took I think two years for the 28X to come out. Lots of software issues, NO RF compatibility with the older existing radios. Then JR announces they're moving the factory and tell us that a vendor in Japan will handle things while the move is in progress. The move to UAV's wasn't a surprise to me, but the complete abandonment of the hobby RC radio market and handed over to the Japanese company with the exception of the heli stuff was weird to me. The new UAV company was setup using helicopters, imagine that???

The convincing thing for me that JR was done for my purposes, was Len's picture in a company coat for the new UAV company, at a show for the new UAV's.

In the mean time, Spektrum comes out with some pretty interesting stuff including a 20 channel tx with three new telemetry capable PowerSafe rx's which when equipted with the AS3000 module, can run all 20 channels fully proportional, 2048 resolution and 22ms response time. Oh, while we're at it, the AS3000 is also a six axis gyro, allows full port mapping of the rx and its finally software updateable. The DX20 will also run all my old JR rx's with Spektrum RF decks that are in my gassers.

So while others will differ, for me it does not matter what JR does in the future even if they stay around in some form, I'm done with 'em.